Best Western Plus Jackson Downtown-Coliseum
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgated parking lotbest westernssecurity gatefront deskwestern hotelsparking area isroom was cleanwould stay here againclose to downtownbiscuitsstate capitolone night stayvery nice hotelcontinental breakfastgreat place to stayenjoyed my stayfence
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 9, 2011

This hotel looks like it has had a reno not long ago so we couldn't understand why anyone would let it deteriorate after spending so much money. The rooms are large and nicely decorated. We are not fussy but just like things to be clean. The newish bathroom needed a good clean. The shower curtain was mouldy at the bottom and the grouting between the floor tiles could do with a good scrub. The real disappointment were the dirty common areas. The hallway carpet looked nice but who knows when it had last been vacuumed. The foyer area has 2 large mats which were filthy. The tiles in the breakfast room it were very tacky to walk on - I could not help thinking a good does of bleach might be required here. We paid decent money for this motel so these downfalls very much detracted from our overall rating. One good thing was the girl on the desk (Constance) was very helpful and had a nice personality. I have sent an email to the manager, Dave Patel advising my concerns.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2011

This Best Western has a GREAT staff. They are personable and friendly and very willing to help and take care of any need you have. The breakfast was very tasty- the waffles were wonderful!!! The location is excellent- right off the interstate and close to several fast food places. The rooms were spacious and clean with comfortable beds, fluffy pillows, and soft towels. Constance and Benjamin were the BEST!!! Thanks for a wonderful stay!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2011

David was most helpful in adjusting our room requirements and was very polite, friendly, and professional in all aspects. Excellent in all aspects.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2011

Value. This hotel is a bit expensive compared to the other Best Westerns (except for the new Flowood BW) in the Jackson Metropolitan Area. It is routinely about $20/night more expensive than the BW Airport Inn in Pearl, MS and not significantly better if you don't need interior hallways. It is also a bit more expensive than some of its neighbors, i.e. Red Roof Inn and Days Inn.

Rooms. Many, maybe most, of the rooms have been renovated over the period I've frequented it (2009-2010). They are more spacious than normal especially if you try the suite. The rooms with queen beds tend to have a sofabed which the doubles lack. They have suitable work desks. In October 2010, I stayed in both sets of rooms during my stay. (The first was an unexpected stay.) I had no problem using the free wi-fi. They have a full complement of cable channels plus HBO. (It's annoying to miss a show on Bravo or some channel not in the standard 10-12 you'll get in hotel rooms.) There are no in-room safes and I'm not sure that they have a safe at the front desk for valuables. The rooms do have half-size refrigerators and microwaves.

Location. The location is great for travelers (1) attending or participating in an event at the Mississippi Coliseum (across the street), (2) engaging in business downtown or (3) attending football games at Memorial Stadium about a mile away. It's also convenient for travelers who need a night stop along I-55. It is surrounded by fast food restaurants, but it isn't within walking distance of much nightlife entertainment. If you're interested in that, bring a car. There are sometimes vagrants in the area, but not around the hotel itself. My mom stayed there during the same October 2010 visit and felt better about the area because they have gated (free) parking.

Cleanliness. My room was clean on this trip and has been on multiple trips in 2009 and 2010. The only problem I have had occurred when I was once assigned to a room that clearly had not been cleaned and might have still been occupied (2009). I was re-assigned without further problems.

Service. I've never really had any problems, but I also don't tend to ask for much during hotel stays. During the October 2010, my key would stop working every day. It was explained to me that they were having problems and it was re-magnetized without complaint. There is a free breakfast that does have some hot food, i.e. sausage, eggs and biscuits, as well as the typical continental breakfast fare at most Best Westerns.

Sleep Quality. The hotel is in a fairly quiet area so there isn't much street noise at night. Note that one side does face a street with a Whataburger open all-night so there will be some traffic. I'm not fussy about beds and their beds have been fine with me.

Notes: I didn't know management had changed, but I guess that explains a lot of new faces I've noticed over the last few months. … The exercise facility consists of a treadmill and a stationary bike. I wasn't impressed with either. … Also, the business center does not have a printer, which I discovered when one of our party needed to print a boarding pass.

This is a perfectly adequate no-frills hotel, which somewhat belies the "executive" appellation. I wouldn't recommend it to a friend whose standards are Hilton/Sheraton/Marriot, but I would to anyone comfortable at Comfort/Quality Inn, La Quinta or most Best Westerns.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank kahudson
Reviewed September 2, 2010

This hotel is very convenient to the State Capitol and sits just off I-55 & I-20 intersection. The hotel sets a new standard for Best Western hotels in my opinion. I am a frequent traveler and I usually set my mind when reserving Best Western to just accept a sanitary room and move on. This hotel interior is beautiful and compares to Marriott Courtyard/Fairfield Inn/Hampton Inn in terms of the upgrades and renovations. I could still smell the new building materials. I will definitely stay at this location when driving from Dallas to Atlanta. The management team is awesome. GREAT PLACE!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business