“Average food!!”

Ranked #138 of 384 Restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: American
“Average food!!”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Hamburger wasn't very good , French fries were burned. It was our first time there and it was a let down . I had heard so much about this place. We wanted to give it a try but that was the last time for me to eat there.

“Good and Cheap!”
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Beatty Street Grocery is not for those looking for white tablecloths or ambiance. It has neither! However, if you're looking for some reasonably priced takeout that is good, this is the place!

Beatty Street offers a huge selection of burgers and other sandwiches. Try either the Beatty Street burger or Ribeye sandwich. You will not be hungry nor broke. The food is good and the service is friendly and quick.

They also offer breakfast, but I've never tried it.

They were just featured on local tv last week (WLBT - channel 3).

1 Thank Cleindian44
Madison, MS
“A Jackson cultural & culinary institution and a remnant of disappearing Americana”
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Beatty Street is a little off the beaten path. The restaurant is really an old grocery store located in a seasoned commercial area of Jackson within spitting distance of Danny's and that ilk. Beatty Street has weathered it all, the area is mostly a ghost town now but with the rennaisance that Jackson seems to be experiencing of late who knows what the future holds? I digress. The outside of Beatty Street is ramshackle but Inside you will find a place that welomes all with good, cheap food, unrivaled atmosphere and a real local experience. When one enters from the parking lot you will see several women working behind the counter, any one of which looks as if their story could fill a book. They are busy taking orders and making the food. If this is your first visit, it might be best to hang back as the menu is absolutely enormous and a bit overwhelming. I find that just when I feel like i've read the entire menu and decided what to order I look somewhere else and there is a placard with some special of the day that i've never ordered so take your time. I think at lunch there is a good line of people but they work fast. Just place your order and go wait in the store. You can get your drink or some nabs or something. After they call your name take everything to the back (really the front) of the store and pay at the counter.
Beatty Street has cut their store shelves into makeshift tables and there is plenty of room to stand at them if the stools are taken up. This place is a piece of disappearing Americana and a Jackson institution that people tend to recollect when I mention I went there but mostly in surprise since they hadn't been there in years.
As I mentioned earlier, the menu is enormous and inexpensive. This is a sandwich diner. One of their most famous sandwiches is the Super Beatty Breakfast Sandwich of which words are inadequate to describe, I have attached a photo to try to do justice, the sandwich is about five inches thick. Their roast beef poboy is one of the best i've had outside of NOLA and their simple fare like the ribeye, sausage, or egg sandwiches are fantastic.
I recommend going on a Saturday afternoon so you can take your time. The owners are friendly and can share great stories. I wish I got down here more often, you should too.

• Visited May 2011