“Convenient Location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Jackson
Madison, Wisconsin
“Convenient Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

We stayed here on our way down to New Orleans. The hotel is easy to get to off of the interstate, but isn't great for being able to walk around. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel looked like it was newly opened or recently renovated and the lobby area was very nice.
Our room was adequate but wasn't great. The walls were all painted a strange violet color and the lamps had fluorescent bulbs, which was fine except that they were cool white instead of warm, which always casts an industrial glow on everything. The room just didn't have adequate light. The only mirror aside from the bathroom was the closet doors, but the weren't near any light source so I couldn't use them to put on makeup while my boyfriend was getting ready. The room also had a lot of nicks and dings, which was odd since it seemed to have been updated recently. That being said, the room served its purpose and we had a good night's sleep.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth R
ComfortInn186, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
I appreciate you taking the time from your busy schedule to write a review about your experience with us. We’re thankful to have you as our guest and we hope to see you on your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Holly Springs, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

I enjoy my stay at this hotel every time I'm there. Some of the reasons are first of all the staff is friendly. the rooms are clean. The location for me is perfect. Recently renovated. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ComfortInn186, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Thank you for staying with us again! We really appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a review for our hotel. We know you have lots on your to-do list and we’re grateful you took the time to tell fellow travelers about us. We hope you have a need to come and stay with us again!
Jonesboro, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

The hotel was clean and appeared to have new carpet and linens. The rooms are very small. You can tell this is an older hotel that has been renovated. The hotel is directly across the street from the fairgrounds. The hotel has an outdoor pool. There is a Taco Bell, Wendys in front of the hotel. I did not feel unsafe in this area of Jackson. However, if I were to return to this area I would likely stay in Ridgeland as it is a much newer and nicer area with lots of good restaurants and shopping. Pearl, MS would be my second choice. They have a nice newer looking outlet mall.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Allstarbaseballmom
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. However it is disappointing to learn that you may not stay with us again and may stay in the surrounding cities. We like to earn your business again so we like to request you to please stay with us again. We are not in the cities you would like to stay in but we can assure you that we will continue to offer clean & comfortable rooms and excellent customer service that you have already experienced. We hope you stay with us again so we can get the opportunity to provide you with list of restaurant which offer great food which are located closer to our hotel.
Topeka, KS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Nice quiet location away from heavy traffic. Very pleasant front desk personnel. Room was nice and clean. Hot tub was not working, so if that is a requirement, see if it has been fixed before booking. Casino about 10 minutes away. Located about 3 blocks from I-55. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ComfortInn186, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Guest,
We appreciate you sharing your experience with us and other fellow travelers. We are glad your stay was pleasant with us. We hope you stay with us again when in the area.
Thank you very much!
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

If you've got a broadband connection, you can verify the 'dreary location' by keying the address into Google Maps and snooping around a bit in street view. You'll find an animal clinic across the street and several fast food joints on nearby High Avenue.

I'll let street view do the explaining. 614 Monroe Street isn't Jackson at its best.

That said, I was entirely satisfied with my room and the hotel's accommodations, and certainly would return if circumstances bring me back to Jackson. The desk staffer was quite nice, spent several minutes hunting for a room likely to be quiet, and told me how to use the laundry facilities at the east end of the upstairs hall. My room had all the amenities a traveler might expect; I slept soundly on a comfortable bed, undisturbed by wayward noises. The buffet was generous. I didn't try the wi-fi.

PiggieMom's recent review mentioned a bug on the headboard. That made me think 'bedbug,' although PiggieMom doesn't say what type of bug it was. For what it's worth: I made an unusually thorough inspection with the flashlight app on my smartphone, and saw absolutely no indication of bedbug infestation.

Two advisories:

(*) There's an animal care clinic across Monroe Street from the hotel's west side rooms, and I heard a dog barking loudly there when I arrived. Light sleepers might want to avoid rooms on that side.

(*) I wouldn't want a room next to the elevator, either. It squeaked.

Room Tip: (*) There's an animal care clinic across Monroe Street from the hotel's west side rooms, and...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ComfortInn186, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your detailed review of our hotel. Guests' input is always appreciated because it tells us how we can improve. We are glad you found no bug activity when you inspected our room. We work very hard in providing clean and neat guest rooms and so when our work is appreciated, we feel even more encouraged to do better and better each time. Thanks again.
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

I always dread to give any sort of a negative review and if you follow me you will see that. My biggest complaint with this hotel is the staff. Upon arrival, when I walked in, it looked to me like a family around the desk. I finally greeted them, not the other way around, as I felt like I was receiving the "once over". Same thing when we left to go out for dinner...I waited to give them time to speak, they were not busy just sitting there, no one in the lobby, finally I said "hello" and they responded.

The next morning, at 9:30, we receive a call in our room asking us if we are still there! My husband says that we are, duh, we answered the phone, but we would be checking out shortly. Checkout is not until 11:00. Why would we receive a call an hour and a half BEFORE we are to vacate our room to see if we have left yet? This is just rude, unacceptable and unprofessional behavior. I cannot comprehend it.

When we did leave, we always take our things to the car and then my husband has the professional courtesy to go back and go through the checkout process. Once again, as we walked through those doors, nothing. And it is not a big lobby! It is small and so it is obvious if you do not speak and acknowledge the customer.

As far as our room, it was nice and clean. We were in a handicap room and it was an adjoining room. We were amazed at how loud we could hear the man conducting insurance business in the next room. I don't think it was the walls so much as the door that adjoined. We could hear every word he said perfectly clear including him punching the buttons on the phone :)

The shower in the bathroom is handicap of course and that is fine but the curtain is pretty nasty. It drags the floor about three inches too long so mold will be a problem. Other than that the room was very nice.

Breakfast was typical and missing quite a few things even though we were down there by 8:30.
Not a bad Comfort Inn, I have certainly stayed at worse but customer service could definitely be upgraded and those morning phone calls have got to go!

• Stayed January 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ComfortInn186, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for your candid review of our hotel. I apologize that your stay with us was not enjoyable. Our team always strives to make sure that every guest receives the attention and excellent services from us but sometimes errors occur that are out of our control and I am deeply sorry if this was not the case. Again, we are very sorry and hope you will still consider staying with us in the future.
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

I picked this hotel because of all of the high ratings it got from previous guests. We had to change our route coming home from North Carolina because of the weather. Normally I would take the northern route (through Memphis, TN) because I just haven't found there to be good and affordable lodging in Jackson which is the half-way point for us. When I saw that this hotel got such good ratings, I called them. I spoke with the General Manager. She said their location was new.

We arrived pretty late and were very tired. We are a family of 5 (with 3 teenage boys) so we needed two rooms. I asked them before I called if they would rather have a room with two queen beds or room with a king bed and a pull out sofa. They figured two of them sharing a king would be better than a queen and since one of them slept on a pull out sofa on the way up (different hotel), they opted with the king/sofa room. When we got there, they pulled out the sofa & found the mattress to be brand new (still wrapped in plastic). However, when they took turns testing it out, they all complained about it feeling like they were lying directly on springs. I laid down on it and agreed. It felt like box springs. I went to the front to request a different room. The night clerk had an unhelpful attitude. He also said that if we wanted to change rooms, there would be an upcharge for the double queens. I called B.S., but he said there was nothing he could do about it. After being as nice as I could be for that time of night, I took the room.

When we got to the boy's new room, we were greeted with an annoyingly loud chirp of the room's resident smoke detector. The night clerk said he wasn't allowed to leave the desk, to take care of it, so we took it off the ceiling ourselves. We didn't want to take another room again. The next morning, as we walked down the hall for breakfast, we could hear several familiar chirps coming from other guest rooms.

In my room, I found the sheets on the bed to be so scratchy, I ended up taking my personal travel blanket and using it as a "sleeping bag" on the bed. My husband was so tired, he hadn't noticed as much. To add to the frustration, the water in the shower was backwards, but the only way I figured it out was because the water didn't get hot when the dial was pushed to the H. I tried it the other way and it worked fine. When I mentioned it to the GM that morning, she just looked at me as if I should have known this and said, "Yeah, the water is backward in that room." Also, in the bathroom, some of the towels didn't smell fresh at all and there was a mysterious spot of red on the baseboard that my husband thought looked like a spot of blood.

Breakfast was certainly nothing to write home about. I tend to like to eat healthy, and the options were unappealing. We had to track down the maid to warm up some more sausages in the microwave. I'm not sure how they make the scrambled eggs.

That morning, I asked the boys how there room was. They said that before they went to sleep, they saw a small bug crawling around near the headboard. They also noted that there was a big red hard stain on the bedspread. I couldn't tell what it was. When I mentioned all of this to the GM, she said, "Next time, tell us and we'll make sure we switch your room." I said, "There won't be a next time." While we were talking and I was trying to explain things to hear, she continued to make excuses for things and then she took a call that came in and ignored me. I put the keys on the desk and walked out.

While I would really like to give this hotel only 1, I think it is fair to give them 2 or 2.5 since I didn't write down all of my complaints.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. Please know your comments are not being taken lightly and have been shared with the entire team to ensure we are providing top notch guest service in the future. I am very sorry that these experiences soured your stay and hope you will give us another chance to show you how comfortable our hotel can truly be.