“Damp and musty”

Cabot Lodge Millsaps
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Jackson
Reviewed August 27, 2008

The hotel's web site makes you think that it has been renovated but it most certainly has not. All they did was install flat screen tvs in the rooms. They are cheap flat screen tvs but they are flat screens, nontheless. Otherwise, I would be surprised if the owner had spent any money on that hotel in 15 years. The entire building feels and smells musty. The bed linens actually felt wet to me. The a/c units stopped removing moisture from the air years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if they traced an outbreak of Legionnaires' disease to this hotel.

The desk staff is totally uninterested in what they are doing. The room was not cheap, either. Unless you need to stay there because of the college or the hospital, then stay somewhere else. It's a creepy hotel and it needs lots of work.

Stayed: August 2008

Reviewed August 13, 2008

I had business at Millsaps and no car while in Jackson, so I decided to stay at this because of the locations. It is convenient to Millsaps, but that's about it. The room was okay, but the bath was shabby. The staff simply ignored my request to fix the television in the room. After several requests, I gave up. Figured I'd just write here and warn that these folks to give a shake of horse's tail for the guests.

They do provide every imaginable type of donut for breakfast. Better enjoy them because there is no restaurant in the hotel, and the only one that's within easy walking distance is the Wendy's around the corner. Public transportation being what it is in Jackson (non-existent), I would think that once you factor in cab fare, you could stay at a much nicer place like the Old Capitol Inn and just take a cab to Millsaps. If you have a car, you'd be crazy to stay here--unless you like the disinterested attitude of the staff.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Stayed here because it is really close to the Univ. Medical Center.
Yes--you can walk to the hospital from this hotel. (I had a staff member tell me over the phone that you had to cross a major highway to get to hospital, but all it is a 4 lane road and people who work at the hosptial have to cross all the time for parking)
Room had been updated. Bathroom very small as was the double room we had. Air was not that great and still had slightly damp feeling. The hallways were another story. No updating there yet, and very hot/stuffy. The pool area looked very nice--had to go to basement floor to get there and was kind of isolated down there. Common areas are greatest plus of this hotel. Many comfortable sitting areas with couches, tables TVs. Biggest negative of this hotel is the staff. Very unfriendly, seemed liked they were more concerned with socializing with each other than guest service. Was given incorrect directions when trying to find a drug store. Exception was staffer at the reception--he was very professional and service oriented. We had to leave very early for hospital next morning and could not eat breakfast. They said I could come back and eat if I made it before cut-off time.(didn't 'cause of relative's surgery) Thought they might have offered a take-along something when we were talking at checkout, but didn't. Overall the only reason I would stay here again is location to hospital.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2008

We just got home from an amazing stay at the Cabot Lodge. They are going through renovations, but what they have completed was great! We were booked here for a meeting and YES I read the reviews before going. I was a little worried and unsure, but all of my worries went away when I was greeted by the amazing front desk personell.
Customer Service is #1 at the Cabot Lodge. We would return again. In fact, I booked my next vacation before I left to go back home.
Can't wait to stay again!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 1, 2008

We stayed here for the Mississippi Blues Marathon and it was okay. The staff was nice, things were clean and there were cocktails and popcorn in the lobby area from 5-7. The bartenders did not seem to be drinkers so some of the drinks were a bit odd but overall everything was okay. We did see signs saying the place would be renovated soon which is good because the rooms were starting to look a bit shabby.

Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed July 7, 2007

I highly recommend avoiding the Cabot Lodge. We had to stay here due to a group event, and I'll admit I checked in with a biased view after reading some other reviews. Most of the reviews are accurate. This hotel is sub-par. We had a standard non-smoking king room and paid $89/night.

First the good points: Customer service and hotel staff were friendly and accommodating. Southern hospitality reigns in Jackson. The rooms were spacious and included all the amenities listed on their website. WiFi worked well with great signal. And, they have a full cable TV lineup including HBO.

Now for the bad points: Dirty. This hotel is filthy. It wasn't worth complaining about because all the other rooms we visited were the same. The basics appeared clean, such as the sheets. Many of the towels had faint stains. The two cloth chairs had chip crumbs all over the crevices and surfaces that could easily be cleaned on a daily basis. The furniture seemed very dingy. There was a little bit of mold growing down by the AC. The paint was coming off one of the doors (to an adjacent room) and stuck to our suitcase when the lid was open and resting against the door. We though it was fresh paint, but it was wet from the humidity. The AC did a HORRIBLE job of dehumidifying the room and keeping it cool. Everything was damp. The bathroom was incredibly small. Hot water was inconsistent and the toilet was leaky and did a poor job of flushing. Also, the bathroom had no fan.

The lobby area was nice and the pool seemed ok (we didn't go in). Plenty of parking and a decent location with some nearby restaurants. If you can bare a little grime, this place may be for you. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2007

My air conditioning didn't work, in Jackson MS in the heat and humidity. Well it worked, but barely, and very loud. All bark and no bite so to say. I called the desk, but nobody did anything. The bathroom was very dirty, with hairs on the sink, rust stains and what looked like mildew on the shower, and "splatter" on the toilet. I called the desk about this also, and nobody did anything. Even the next day after the maid cleaned the room it wasn't improved. Although I have my own problems with the maid... They really couldn't have cared much less about correcting my problems.

In the morning, the maid didn't even knock on the door, she just walked right in. Fortunately I was dressed and had only just returned to collect some items for a meeting, but still that is very bothersome in a hotel.

I travel a great deal, and don't expect perfection from a hotel (even the Greenbriar in WV has problems) but it would be nice when there are problems to have them dealt with and not just ignored.

I really didn't like this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business