“Won't Be Back”

Cabot Lodge Millsaps
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Jackson
Reviewed July 13, 2013

First impressions are so important. Three of my group of 12 people for our conference including myself had the unmitigated gall to attempt to check in at 2:30 p.m. instead of 3:00 p.m. A scowling and sharp-tongued Tawanna Bell was at the desk and was beyond rude to everyone who stepped up too early. We can all understand this hotel policy but Ms. Bell has absolutely no business being the first person the customer encounters at this establishment. To say she had an attitude problem in no way fully describes the demeanor of this employee.

That said there are four things that kept this place from earning the lowest mark I have ever given a place of lodging. A. The hot breakfast in the morning is great. B. The cocktail hour in the evening is very nice. C. The Speakman shower heads in the bathroom are wonderful and D., the beds are comfortable.

But…….if you are going to operate an establishment of this nature in the deep South, you need adequate air conditioning. The whole place was hot and my room was boiling. Others in my party had the same problem and some even changed rooms to no advantage. It makes no difference if your bed is comfy if the room is too hot to sleep. Management was informed about my room to no effect because the AC units are old, outdated and basically non-functioning. When it is in the 90’s outside, that is a real deal killer.

A musty smell permeates the place and there was mold in my shower along with the occasional bug or two. The carpets are dirty and the hallways are so hot that one is compelled to take the stairs rather than wait on the elevator. For a hundred bucks a night, you can do so much better in Jackson despite the good location of this hostel of horrors.

Room Tip: Stay off the upper floors in the summer. Heat rises and these floors are very hot
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Ronnie072, General Manager at Cabot Lodge Millsaps, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear John W.;

I can only apologize to you for the treatment that you described while trying to check into the Cabot Lodge Millsaps. I can assure you this is not the typical reception given to our guests by the Front Desk Agents and I am truly sorry for your unfortunate experience during that time.

We do appreciate your recognition of the great breakfast, the nice cocktail hour, the Speakman shower head and the comfortable beds. We only wish that your total experience would have been perfect as it should be.

Further I wish to thank you for sharing your comments with us as this will help enable us to achieve a better experience for all our hotel guests.

Ronnie Roe

P.S. We would love to have another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We arrived on Thurs. June 20. We were visiting Belhaven University for freshman registration so the proximity to Belhaven was great, literally just a couple blocks away. Check in was quick and efficient. The staff, during our entire visit were courteous and professional. The hotel was clean and the lobby/ social area was large and very comfortable. The breakfast in the morning was very good with a variety of choices ranging from biscuits and gravy, eggs, meats to cereals. Staff was on hand to replenish and keep items well stocked.
The only negative during our visit was in our room. When we entered our room, there was a musty/mildew smell. The room itself along with the bath was very clean however. The odor could simply be age, I don't know. The only other item of note was during the night the sink was backing up, so there may have been some hotel plumbing issues occuring. If the room had not been as clean as it was, the above items could have been a reason to not visit again. But really the experience was fine. Now if we visited again and the same issues reoccured, then we probably wouldn't return, but we will be back for a second try, because the positive outweighed the negative.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Ronnie072, General Manager at Cabot Lodge Millsaps, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Thank you for sharing your views concerning your recent visit to Cabot Lodge Millsaps. The entire staff and I are are pleased to hear what you think about our service and facilities.

We are looking forward to your next visit and hopefully we can make some improvement to the negative concern that you mentioned. We will do our best to provide a clean and inviting atmosphere for you.

Cabot Lodge Millsaps

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Guest floors need a new coat of paint, ceiling tiles out of place, stained carpets, odor in rooms, you'd be better off at a major chain. This hotel is ready for an upgrade. Don't stay if you have allergies.

• Stayed: June 2013
Ronnie072, General Manager at Cabot Lodge Millsaps, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Thank you for telling us about your experience while being a guest at the Cabot Lodge Millsaps. All of us are pleased to know that the service and Lobby were deemed to be pleasant. We are disappointed that we failed to provide you with a total pleasant experience of our facility.

However, we do value your comments and we have already had the guest floor corridor carpets cleaned and re-arranged the out of place ceiling tiles and we will strive to further make improvements.

Once again thank you for sharing your comments with us.

Ronnie Roe, General Manager

Reviewed May 16, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Cabot Lodge Millsaps for my daughter's graduation, May 9-13. The experience was horrible. The staff was rude and not helpful at all. They acted like they were doing me a favor by letting me stay in their hotel. Any number of things went wrong:
1) Toilet in room was broken
2) Phone in room was broken
3) Wi-Fi didn't work
4) housekeepers came to room at 8:15am to clean, banged on the door and almost broke it because the bar that prevents anyone from coming in was still locked because we were still asleep and we asked them to come back and they never came back.
5) The coffee continually ran out at the breakfast bar and the way was up to 20 minutes for a pot of coffee to be put out
The staff didn't care if they helped you or not. It was terrible!
This was the second bad experience that I have had in the past three weeks with this Cabot Lodge. I suggest you never go to this hotel. We will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't stay there.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I travel to Jackson, MS frequently and I am glad I found the Cabot Lodge Millsaps. My first stay was in July, 2011, and I have been back to this hotel many times since. I really like the friendly, helpful staff, the free parking, the free breakfast with lots of selections, the free Wi-Fi, and the short drive to downtown. Overall, the hotel is an excellent value. The only reason I didn't give the hotel an "excellent" rating is because the rooms, although perfectly acceptable, are a little bit dated and the HVAC systems are a little noisy. But I have never had any problems whatsoever with this hotel, so I definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: The front desk staff is very willing to accommodate requests for room preferences.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Ronnie072, General Manager at Cabot Lodge Millsaps, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Mr. Paul H:

Thank you for your comments concerning the Cabot Lodge Millsaps. The entire Staff and I do appreciate hearing what our Guests have to say about our facility and services.

It is always our pleasure to serve our True Boss, the Hotel Guest.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was here for a bridge tournament. I left the room early to play and my husband stayed in the room. He was going to have lunch out at about noon and was going to remove the DND sign from the door when he left.

At 11 AM there was a letter placed under the door stating since the sign was out the housekeepers would not clean the room. Are you kidding me? I have been in hotels all over the world and have never had a housekeeping service state they would not clean a room after
11 AM. They did give us clean towels.

I went to the desk to complain but got nowhere. There were housekeepers still on the floor in the afternoon. One would think that the policy would be to keep guests happy.

If this hotel has such a policy I think the guest should be informed of it upon check in.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

I wish to thank you for sharing your comments concerning your recent stay at the Cabot Lodge Millsaps. We do appreciate hearing from our guests whether with a good experience or a not so good experience.

I can tell you the situation you described is not our normal procedure and I have discussed this with both the Executive Housekeeper, who was not on duty during the period you were here, and the Room Attendant that serviced the area where your room was located.

I do apologize to you for this inconvenience and hope that you will allow us to be of service to you the next time you visit Jackson, Mississippi.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

This hotel is very nice. It had a very nice breakfast alot to choose from. Popcorn popped for guest there. Very nice location and the staff were very nice and friendly. Rooms were a nice size and clean. Nice lounge to watch tv and visit if your with friends. Many restaurants near by.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your kind compliments. We do enjoy knowing that our Guests like our facility and services.

Ronnie roe, General Manager