“CLAUSTROPHOBIC”

Cabot Lodge Millsaps
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Jackson
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Unless you just need proximity to Millsaps College or the nearby hospitals, you'll get more room for your buck elsewhere. This is an o-l-d hotel. The rooms have been reasonably well updated, but...getting door key cards to work is an exercise in frustration, lamps look as if they came from a thrift store, rooms are small, bathrooms are tiny and claustrophobic (there's maybe an inch clearance between the commode when you shut the door). Reception area is spacious/nice. Haven't tried breakfast. Reception on day of check-in was popcorn/drinks. It's nice enough, but as my old granny would say, "There ain't enough room to swing a cat" in the rooms.

Room Tip: Handicapped accessible rooms/bathrooms may be larger, but I don't know that.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank James J
Ronnie072, General Manager at Cabot Lodge Millsaps, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Dear Claustrophobic:

You are correct that we are an older hotel and you commented that we have been reasonably well maintained and we do appreciate your acknowledgement of this. And yes the Bathrooms are very small. However, the size of the rooms are pretty much the standard size of most Branded hotels.

I am sorry that you did not have the opportunity to try our Complimentary Full Breakfast as most of our hotel guests have told us how much they have enjoyed it. Perhaps the next time you have the opportunity to visit Jackson, Mississippi you will allow us another opportunity to serve you and then enjoy all we have to offer.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

We were allowed to check in early, which was nice. The lobby is very pretty, and has a very cozy feel to it. Our keys didn't work the first go-round, so we had to go back down to the front desk and get new ones that did work. Room was what I expected. The beds were VERY comfortable. I was worried that we would be disturbed because our room was directly across from the elevators, but I was wrong. Very peaceful and quiet. Bathroom was a little small for my liking, but for one or two nights I could deal with it. I actually thought that, compared to other hotels I've been to, the water pressure was actually pretty good, but I may have just gotten lucky. The breakfast was good; I didn't expect to get biscuts and gravy so that was nice. I liked the location for what we were doing: we stayed one night and went to museums/the zoo. It was about 15 minutes away tops from everything. Clean, homey, and considering the price I was very happy.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Ronnie072, Manager at Cabot Lodge Millsaps, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Dear Amanda;

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at the Cabot Lodge Millsaps in Jackson, Mississippi. All of us at Cabot Lodge Millsaps are very pleased to know that you were satisfied with your accommodations and services.

Once again I wish to say thank you and we hope that you will have the occasion again in the future to visit Jackson and the Cabot Lodge Millsaps.

Sincerely.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

The woman at the front desk was the best thing about this hotel. She was extremely nice and efficient. The star rating for this hotel was *** on every website I looked at. It's ** at best. The bathroom was extremely small. The air conditioner is loud and doesn't cool all that well. It's August in the South! You need the A/C to work well. I'm only staying here because it's very close to where I have to be at 8am tomorrow morning and I don't know Jackson that well.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Ronnie072, General Manager at Cabot Lodge Millsaps, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We are very sorry that your A/C was not working properly. I am not aware that you mentioned this to anyone so that we could have either selected another room for you or perhaps replaced the A/C in the room you were occupying.

We do thank you for recognizing the lady at the Front Desk as being nice and efficient. I am sure that had she known about the A/C that she would have tried to resolve the situation.

Again, thank you for sharing your comments.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised that the lodge was so cozy and provided a great night's sleep! We arrived late on a Saturday night but the kind and efficient desk clerk was very accommodating in getting me a room on their entrance floor so I wouldn't have to deal with a lot of luggage, carts and elevators. The beds were very comfortable and the room very quiet, even though my room overlooked the swimming pool with a lot of late-night revelers. The best surprise of all was the fabulous included breakfast that featured homemade waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits and sausage gravy, fresh cut-up fruit, muffins, bagels, cereal, etc. I loved the lodge feel - something different - and the huge breakfast area/hanging out lounge was full of tables and comfy seating areas with lots of wonderful overstuffed furniture. I will definitely stay here on my next Jackson visit!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ronnie072, General Manager at Cabot Lodge Millsaps, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

All of us at Cabot Lodge Millsaps wish to thank you for your nice comments concerning your visit to our Hotel. It is always a pleasure to know what our Hotel Guests think about our facility and services.

We do hope to see you real soon.

Ronnie

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Always check the area before you book on Hotwire. Make sure that if you select a 3 star hotel it is located on the outskirts of the city. Hotel is old and holds that old mildew stinch. Clean rooms, nice staff and the best part is a happy hour (4:30-7:30) that includes free alcoholic drinks and popcorn and free breakfast. Shower is built for the vertically challenged. Shower head has low pressure. Location is terrible, at least they have a rent-a-cop in the parking lot. Nothing around this hotel is new, no stores, shops, or eateries, just a old hospital and a college. At least if you choke on a popcorn kernel or bump your head on the shower head you have a ER close by.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

When we checked in I have to say the lady was very sweet, asked us what level we would prefer which I thought was nice. We checked in our room. It seemed clean but the toilet didn't flush well and the ac was so so, kind of stayed humid in the room. In the morning the maid service knocked on our door and we said we would be about 20 mins... She knocked again and before we could say we're about to leave she walks in and puts her vacuum in the doorway and starts cleaning the bathroom while we were still getting our things together. That was akward and uncomfortable and on top of that rude. The next night I went to the front desk to ask a question, and she acted like I was a bother, I don't know why I try to be friendly and smile but that didn't work. I wish the lady from the morning was there, she could probably take a few lessons on customer service. But besides that , I would say the price of th hotel and why it probably stays open at that price is because of there breakfast in the morning and reception service in the afternoon. If your not looking for that I would probably recommend another hotel in the same vicinity.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed April 20, 2012

We had a wonderful time here. Very clean everywhere the room, the lounge. The service was excellent- Thanks Linda::) The bed was like sleeping in total comfort. Breakfast was great: waffles ( with that tasted great... not the normal watered down stuff), They had syrup, nut, strawberry topping and cool whip, chocolate chips for the waffles. They had bacon, sausage, links, eggs, bagels,muffins, fresh fruit and not just apples,bananas, oranges, they had cantelop and honeydew melon.They had the cold and hot cereals, and biscuits and gravy with meat in it. This stay was so pleasant that I had to take the time to write this comment. OKAY... the bathroom is small very,very small the door has about 2 inches to clear the toilet small... but l didn't have to stay in the bathroom. But l had to be honest and tell everyone... BUT the shower... once l got in there l could have stayed FOREVER... It was so good that l really couldn't believe it. After l got out of the shower l didn't care how small the bathroom was. l really hope you give this place a chance. l was really impressed. They exceeded my expectations. Oh yeah the halls are small too... who cares the room had a great view of the pool. It was to cold to swim but it was clean... very clean.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple