“Great meal, atmosphere not so great”
Review of 1908 Provisions

1908 Provisions
Ranked #34 of 388 Restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: North State Street
Description: 1908 Provisions provides local charm and unmatched experiences nightly, beginning with the staff, who treat each guest like a nightly regular. We are ready and willing to walk you through our farm to table menu prepared by Executive Chef Corey Ellison. Each dish is a unique, upscale twist on traditional Southern classics. Dinner is served from 5 - 9:30pm, M-F. Chef Corey creates a new menu seasonally; each is an original, one of a kind compilation of dishes, focused on showcasing only the freshest, local products. Although we are known for A++ redfish and steak, the nightly vegetarian is phenomenal as well! Don't forget about our yummy desserts! Join us for Sunday Brunch, served 11am - 2pm, offering Southern classics like fried chicken and creamed corn, as well as made-to-order omelet and waffle stations. Come find out what sets 1908 Provisions apart from other restaurants in Jackson, MS. Book your table today and check out our menus to see what Chef Ellison is serving up tonight!
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed at the Fairview Inn for 2 nights between Xmas and New Years and enjoyed our stay. We had dinner at Sophia's on Friday night and were one of 3 couples in the restaurant. Unfortunately, there was an engagement party going on in the room next door, complete with a brass band (tuba, trombone, trumpet and drums) as entertainment which was clearly heard in the dining room. Also, the room was very chilly because wait staff kept going in and out of the door to the outside oblivious to the impact on guests. I had the chicken and dumplings which was excellent and very hot. My husband had a salad and steak which he also enjoyed.

1  Thank Emily M

Reviewed December 2, 2012

This place is the ultimate in “Southern Charm.” Set in an antebellum home that also serves as a bed and breakfast and a spa, the service and food serve as a great example of the best of Mississippi. From the stately trees out front, to the big front porch, to the warm welcome inside— you almost expect to meet Eudora Welty or William Faulkner with genteel southern accent. You may not meet them in person, but you will hear the echoes of such voices, and you will enjoy hospitality and wonderful southern cuisine that is not so far removed from the era when such voices were “live” on porches across the deep south.

1  Thank WhirldWind
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We had our family Thanksgiving meal here and it was most enjoyable. In addition to the wonderful benefit of not having to cook and clean up, the food was delicious.
The restaurant is located at the Fairview Inn in an older building. It has a quaint nostalgia about it reminiscent of the old South. I've never eaten here except for Thanksgiving, but I am told by family members that the Sunday brunch can't be beat.
The Thanksgiving buffet had everything you could possibly want in a meal and there was even a piano player to add to the ambiance. (However, I would recommend requesting a table that is not directly next to the piano. )
The buffet included a salad table (black eyed pea salad was awesome), a huge table of sides to choose from, a ham and roast turkey table, and of course, a dessert table. Everything I sampled (and I sampled a lot) was really prepared well.
The only caution I would give is that 20% gratuity is automatically added for larger parties. A small price to pay for great food and great service. I would gladly eat here again next time I'm in Jackson.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Delicious, creative food; outstanding and friendly service. A special experience, well worth it. And, good for vegetarians who for once don't get short shrift at fine dining spot!!

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Date night with my wife. (Mine cost much less than Obama's) I selected Sophia's based on some pleasant experiences at the Fairview Inn at various receptions. Sophia's is the restaurant associated with the Fairview.
First of all, it is a visually stunning place. Elegant and classy. We were seated at a table next to a window. First problem: the table is not level. Not the table, but the floor. The whole table and two chairs tilt toward the window - enough so that I'm uncomfortable sitting there. I ask to be moved and the hostess is glad to accommodate. She even mentions that I'm not the first diner to complain of that table. So I'm thinking; why did you seat us there, and why don't you fix it?
We are given a menu, but it's not a menu. It's a rolled up sheet of paper announcing their feature for the night; A Caribbean delight - or something like that. It's a fixed price menu with a choice of three entrees and assorted appetizers, salads, deserts, etc. It is $49. per person without wine pairings, $69. with. My wife and I consider this for about 20 minutes while we wait for someone to bring us the regular menu, take our drink order, etc. It's about this time that I notice that there is only one server working the entire restaurant. There are 12 tables of guests. When THE server finally makes it to our table we find out that there is no other menu. She does, however, tell us that we may order items from the Caribbean delight a la carte. She also apologized for being the only server there. It was certainly not her place or responsibility to apologize, and she did an amazing job considering the challenge she faced. Very bad call on Sophia's management to have only one server on duty on a Friday night.
It gets better from here. We decided to skip the fixed price option and pick the items from their fixed price menu that we'd like. We both opted for their fruit de la mer soup (seafood gumbo), and it was excellent! Seriously, some of the best gumbo I've had. Not overly spicy, but very rich. For entrees we had our choice of jerk chicken (no thank you), red snapper with mango salsa (my wife's choice), or curried lamb chops (my choice). According to my wife, the snapper was good. I thought the portion was rather small, but she was completely satisfied with it. The lamb chops were a very pleasant surprise. Char grilled with yams and turnip greens. Maybe the best lamb chops I've ever had. We shared a desert of cheese cake.
After being seated on a slope and finding out that there was only one server working the restaurant, I had my stinger out. But - the food was exceptional.
I would have given Sophia's an "excellent" rating for the food, but there were just too many other problems. Poor management.