“Mixed Feelings”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Farish
Description: Located in the heart of Jackson’s revitalized downtown area, Parlor Market specializes in Seasonal Southern cuisine, drawing inspiration and ingredients from local farmers, ranchers and deep rooted traditions. Parlor Market preserves the history of downtown Jackson with rich marble, original brick, and Antebellum wood dating back to 1858. Enjoy a pre-prohibition cocktail, a glass of Southern wine, or a beer from our extensive Southern beer list or fresh seafood from our marble topped oyster and ceviche bar. Let our team of award winning chefs inspire you with their creative dishes in our open kitchen. The Parlor Market ambiance, experience and service are unparalleled.
Reviewed August 20, 2013

While I'm not exactly a foodie, I know what I like and have a good idea of what I expect a "Fine Dinning" experience to be like. I am orignally from a Food City, New Orleans, and while I do enjoy fine dining at upscale eateries, I also like the back street cafes and the hole in the wall places. Based on this I ranked Parlor Market as average.

The place is attractive, the area is being revitalized and the Parlor Market is on the cutting edge of this process, the modest front opens into a very nice bar and restaurant, small but confortable. The staff was attentive and very nice, the menu was short and sweet, about 15 main items. So far so good.

Nuevo Cuisine is not exactly my cup of tea, when I see something on the menu that says for instance, pickeled onions, I don't think it should be a piece of onion that is 3/4 of an inch long and used for garnish, garnish is pretty, not necessarily a seperate food item, it was addresed as such. My wife had the oyster salad and duck gumbo, the salad was greens and a few oysters, average, the duck gumbo was excellent. I had the flounder, good but not excellent by a long shot, average at best, oh the plate was pretty but the food was lacking, not bad but then again, not worth the price.

Since I mentioned price, for what we had, two drinks apiece, the oyster salad, the cup of duck gumbo, and a wedge salad and flounder for me, $125. I though it pricy when I compare it to what I'm used to in NO. Just me, the place had a good atmosphere and a number of patrons but it was just not up to my standards of "Fine Dining".

Would I go back, ????

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Menu changes monthly and the overall eating experience continues to improve. Plan to return
every month to enjoy the changes. The desserts were superb.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

The Parlor is amazing for such a seemingly dead downtown. Very different choices using fresh, seasonal ingredients. Service was lovely. For me, or was a bit pricey, but there's not a lot of choice downtown. Think the prices were geared for business expense accounts.

Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

This is my first time to Jackson and if this place is indicative I want to come back. We started with Oysters Cubano and followed it with Duck Carbonara. Both wee great. The Duck was particularly good. It had a little sweetness but the duck cracklings took that edge off. The Oysters were like nothing I have had before

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I had a wonderful meal with friends at the Parlor Market. I ordered the Painted Redfish for dinner, the Meridel for a cocktail and the Affogato for dessert. All of it was fantastic! The drink was possibly the best cocktail I've ever had and the food was amazing. Our server was very nice and offered many good suggestions about what to order. I hope to be able to come here again some day. The food is pretty expensive so I would suggest it for a special occasion.