“A Very Disappointing Birthday Request...”

Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Jackson
Starkville, MS
“A Very Disappointing Birthday Request...”
Reviewed March 15, 2010

I am 62 years of age, was raised in Jackson, MS and I'm very much aware of the history associated with the OLD King Edwards. First...I must say that it's restoration is beautiful...job well done. However, I was in Jackson to take my mother to the NEW King Edwards for her 85th birthday luncheon...at her request...she has a lot of fond memories of the OLD King Edwards and wanted to go back one last time to see it all cleaned up and shining like the old grand hotel it once was. We arrived for lunch at approximately 11:30 a.m. go inside was met by a guest of the hotel...she stopped to speak (did not know the woman...she was just very friendly)...she informed us that she was heading up Capital Street to go eat lunch at the Marriott Hotel because the Hilton Garden does not serve lunch on Saturdays...we did not want breakfast...we wanted lunch. I went to the front desk and asked to clarify what I had heard and was told..."we do not serve lunch on Saturday." Also, the front desk did not offer any suggestions of restaurants close by to accommodate us. Now on their web site it states..."The King Edward Grill offers Full American Breakfast buffet with cooked to order portion in the mornings. Menu service available for lunch and dinner. King Edward Grill is open for: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner...Saturday 06:00 AM - 9:30 PM."

We left very disappointed, especially my mother...who probably will not have another opportunity to go back due to age, etc. I was disappointed because I was not able to fulfill my mothers very simple birthday request. My husband and I travel extensively and we are HHonor Customers...I'm sure we will be taking a second look before we select or confirm reservations at another HGI...evidently you can not believe what they advertise.

Stayed March 2010
2 Thank Donnas
SByers, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown, responded to this review, April 23, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent experience. I am disappointed to hear that you were unable to experience lunch in our restaurant with your mother. Please know that your feedback is taken seriously and will be reviewed with the entire staff. Feedback like yours is a valuable tool for us to continue to improve upon the level of service that we provide to our valued guests.

I apologize that only breakfast was being offered during your visit, and I agree that our staff could have handled their response in a much more understanding manner. I would like to communicate that we do now offer lunch at the King Edward Bar on Saturdays. I understand that I may not be able to change the impression you currently have of the Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown, but I would appreciate an opportunity to show you that we are capable of providing the level of service that you expect with Hilton.

Please accept my invitation for you and your mother to join us for Mother's Day Brunch on May 9, 2010. I would cherish an opportunity to hear your mother speak of her memories of the Old King Edward Hotel. Please contact me directly so that I may make the necessary arrangements.

Sean Byers
sean.byers@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Meridian, Mississippi
Reviewed February 9, 2010

The reopening of the King Edward as a Hilton was great ,after all these years. It is new and very attractive. The room with NO view was small but it was all that I needed for a one night stay. The breakfast on Saturday was super. Staffing for the restaurant was high in number and they seemed to be watching us to close. The down side was the men begging for money both Friday night and Saturday morning. Law enforcement came Friday to shoo them away. I guess that comes with being downtown. This new inn will be a needed asset fot the new convemtion center 1 block away. Valet parking is a bargin at $14.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank amoore007
Wes S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown, responded to this review, July 11, 2015
Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate your business and would be honored for you to stay with us in the future. Wes Scrape - General Manager
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed January 4, 2010

This was formerly the King Edward Hotel in downtown Jackson. It's an old landmark next to the Amtrack station that's been nicely redone by the Hilton group. The king room was well appointed and had an especially comfortable bed. I thought the soundproofing was good, being next to the track. The immediate area around the hotel is pretty blighted but will probably be improved. I would not try to park on the street. A small gripe is that the bar closed at 10 P.M. on Sat. night. This hotel was a welcome relief after spending the prior night at the dismal Roberts Walthall down the street (see my review)

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Crawfish Boil
Southeast USA
Reviewed January 4, 2010

I am a Hilton Honors Gold member and frequently stay in Hilton brand products. Most often I’m in Hamptons, Hilton Garden Inns, and Homewoods. However, I also am familiar with Hiltons, Doubletrees, Embassy Suites and most Intercontinental products. My immediate family and I stayed in the Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown (a.k.a. the King Edward) Wednesday, December 30, 2009. In sum, WOW!

For a downtown hotel, getting there is easy. We took the Pearl Street exit from Interstate 55 and proceeded west on Pearl Street for about two miles. When we reached the railroad tracks, the back of the King Edward was to our right. Apart from a few “punch list” items that I consider a normal part of breaking-in any new building or renovation, the King Edward is incredible. Of all the Hilton Garden Inn/Crown Plaza/Holiday Inn/Holiday Inn Select /Hampton Inn/Hampton Inn and Suites hotels I have ever stayed in, it is definitely the nicest. All aspects of the guest rooms, corridors, elevators and lobby are beautifully decorated with quality materials. The two rooms we had were 8th floor connecting rooms facing east. Both rooms had two very large windows. Unfortunately, the views were mostly of other buildings and the windows did not open.

Our room with the king bed had a dedicated shower where the tub normally goes. The room with two queen beds had a standard tub/shower combination. I very much liked having the dedicated shower in the king room. As already noted, the furnishings were very nice and of good quality. There was no room safe. The LCD television was 32 inches. The LG tv’s seemed to be connected to digital cable because the picture was excellent.

A remarkable thing about this hotel is that I kept forgetting it is a renovated, once-abandoned hotel that first opened 85+ years ago. I think this condition is the result of an amazingly well-done renovation. Everything that you want to function and feel like it’s brand new feels that way. For instance, it was cold and raining outside but the heating/cooling units in both rooms did a great job keeping the temperature constant. More importantly, the units operated silently. I am sensitive to noises but never once noticed these units coming on or going off. Indeed, the whole building seems to be very well-sound proofed. Although the railroad tracks are next door, I never once heard a train. Since I had children with me, I actually found myself wishing I was on the train-track side (the west side) of the hotel so that we could watch the trains. Perhaps someone else can report on the sound-proofing quality of the west side of the building.

At the same time, the things I want to feel original and classic did -- particularly the exterior, the lobby, and the second floor meeting rooms. The other thing that makes this renovation so successful is the bones of the building. The guest rooms including the bathrooms are at least as large as those in recently built hotels but with higher ceilings. Also, some rooms are larger. I happened to stick my head in the guest room located across the hall. I was surprised to see that it is larger than either of our two rooms. It reminded me of what is called a “studio suite” at a Hampton Inn and Suites hotel. This larger room also had the benefit of a bigger bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub and two sets of double windows.

For supper, we walked to a nearby casual restaurant recommended by the front desk. It is called the Mayflower. You can search “Mayflower Café, Jackson, MS” on Trip Advisor for reviews. We were told to: order onion rings for an appetizer, any of the seafood items for entre’s, and the lemon ice-box pie for dessert. We were also told we can take our own wine and drink it there without a corkage fee. All of these recommendations were 100% accurate. Surprisingly, Jackson, Mississippi has some great seafood. No one in our party of 9 was disappointed. Entre’s ranged between $15 and $30. Also, the Mayflower is kid friendly and has a kid’s menu. Like at the King Edward, the entrance to the Mayflower was well-lit and there was a security guard at the door.

Our walk to the Mayflower did reveal perhaps the biggest negative about the King Edward. It is in a run-down area without any shopping within walking distance. The sidewalk is poorly lit and some of the buildings look pretty dilapidated. There was a honky-tonk saloon located about halfway between the King Edward and the Mayflower. Had there been drifters milling about, I would not have felt safe. I definitely recommend paying for valet parking instead of leaving one’s car overnight in a street space. Perhaps better street lighting and some street cameras would help. Long term, there did seem to be some signs of construction so maybe revitalization is planned for all the buildings in this area.

We also went to the swimming pool which is located in the basement. While not grand, it is very nice and more than adequate. In fact, it is the best indoor pool I have ever seen at a Hilton Garden Inn or Hampton. There is a nice hot tub that works well and pool towels are supplied free. Also, I like the way the gym is adjacent to the pool. In the gym, there is a refrigerator full of free Dasani water. I tried the elliptical trainer. It worked perfectly and had a built-in video screen. I did need my own ear buds and the free-weight dumbbells were not set-up yet. Like nearly everything about this hotel, the gym and pool area is more than adequately sized. The only exception to this rule may be the bar which was packed with people on the Wednesday night of our stay.

We also had breakfast in the dining room. The dining room is bigger than I have seen in other Hilton Garden Inns. Also, it has a nice, open feeling with large windows facing east. The food was the standard Hilton Garden Inn fare which, other than in Hiltons and Doubletrees, is the best breakfast in the Hilton family of hotels. In particular, the fruit was fresh and even included ripe strawberries in December. Also, since the hotel is so new, everything was very clean and neat.

The King Edward hotel is very impressive. It is beautiful, luxurious and comfortable. I am very glad we tried it.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family