“Excellent Hotel in a Slowly Recovering Downtown Jackson”

Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Jackson
Ridgeland, Mississippi
“Excellent Hotel in a Slowly Recovering Downtown Jackson”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

The King Edward Hotel is an excellent, historic, beautiful hotel that has reopened it's doors in the past 2 years to the people of Jackson and people from all over. Me and my dad were here from July 26 to the morning of July 28, my dad had a business convention there on the 26th and i had always wanted to stay at the King Edward. The room was nicely cool and clean, the beds were very soft and slept wonderfully. The only main complaint I have about the room, is the television. Some of the channels were out, lacking sound, or weren't the right channel designated by the channel guide, which also seemed to be a tad outdated. But that is very, very minor and didn't detract from the awesome view I had of Union Station and the railroad tracks, since I am a railbuff and my dad is a little bit of one. Besides that, the King Edward Hotel is in a part of downtown Jackson that is slowly coming back to life after years of being dormant and I think giving Capitol Street a decade from now, will be in full recovery mode if it isn't already!

1 Thank zacblanton
Larry H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
My Dear Guest-

I can not wait to share your gracious comment with the staff. Please know that we are most grateful for your comments. We all love this hotel, and care personally for the wonderful guests who favor us with an opportunity to be of service to them.
My name is Larry- i am the hotel manager. Look for me in the lobby during your next stay. I would like to thank you for your comment and your business! How aboput a cup of "jo" from Seattle's Best Cafe as well!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Plano, Texas
Reviewed July 29, 2012

When I arrived I was pleasantly surprised at the big hotel service at the little but beautiful hotel. From the bellman Antonio and James, to the efficient housekeepers and even the front staff I was always greeted with a smile and positive attitude. I called the first night to ask to have a new shower curtain because the older one made the bathroom smell mouldy. By the the I came back from the work day, my shower curtain was replaced with a new one and they also remembered to add extra creamer for my coffee, the Manager takes a hands on approach to making sure the customers are happy and satisfied. Despite being close to the train station, it's extremely quiet! Seattle Coffee is next door and the restaurant served great food to order. We ordered yogurt @ 9:00 pm! Being a recently re-employed worker, the manager gave me a great piece of advice... Own your greatness which is what this Hilton has done with their own hearts.

Room Tip: Grat beds! Sleep numbers and love it. Complimentary coffee, mini fridge and microwave available. Nic...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Larry H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
This review really "touched my heart"
This tells me it is very easy to be nice to nice people...even easier to be professional when of service to other professionals!
My best wishes for your continued success!
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This hotel has a beautiful lobby, room was very clean and employees have great customer service. The pool was very cloudy when we were there, so we opted to not go swimming. There is an additional charge for parking.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ArizonaFamilyOfFour
Larry H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for your commets on our geat hotel.
Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

We love Hilton Garden Inns and this one was amazing. It's in a redone historic hotel and Hilton kept all the ambience with all the luxury of this century. The front desk was friendly attentive and informative. Our daughter and granddaughter swam in the pool and loved it- salt water and heated. We ate breakfast at the hotel and it was outstanding - we lucked out and bananas foster pancakes was the specialty of the day. The chef dressed up my daughter's hash browns with cheese and green onions and the waitstaff fussed over our granddaughter which is always fun. We would come back to Jackson just to stay here.

• Stayed July 2012
Larry H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Soul satisifying- what a wonderful thing to say about our hotel and "her" people. We do think of ourselves as Stewards of a Grand Historic Hotel and all of 'her "wonderful guests. We love what we do and for whom we do it! We like to say it is easy to be nice and professional when in service to nice people! -with this in mind dear guest...kindly take ownership of how you and your family were treated here.
I hope you had a chance to hear the many stories about the hotel, and the rich history of the building. We believe the stories about this hotel have develped an element of Mystique, which few hotels have.... Come back and ask for me personally... my name is Larry- I'd like to shake your hand and welcome you back to the Historic King Edward Hotel!
Philadelphia, Mississippi
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The Hilton Downtown Jackson is a renovated hotel and it is stunning. The old King Edward Hotel once a grand hotel yet abandoned and left vacant for many years in Jackson has been restored to a glorious old syle hotel (marble floors, spiraling staircases and grand ballroom) in downtown Jackson, MS. Attached to the Hotel is the King Edward Bar and Grill with outdoor sitting and dining. The rooms are typical Hilton and very comfortable. If you like to feel like you've stepped back into time, you'll enjoy staying at this wonderful Hilton.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
msbesthotel, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear Carol C.

Thank you taking a moment to reflect on the Historic King Edward. When so many hotels seem to model "cookie cutters" ...isn't it nice to find a Hilton Garden Inn in a building with the Mystique of the KE. While our hotel is minutes from everywhere and miles form the ordinary- it has some of the finest hotel professionals in the south working here. I hope you had a chance to hear the many "stories" about this "Grand Ole' Lady" while you were here.... if not- kindly come back and let me share a few with you!
Tennessee
Reviewed July 17, 2012

The 2nd time staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in Jackson was better, but they still need some work, especially where staff is concerned. The valet parkers and bell hops were great, however the desk staff and restaurant workers need some remedial training. Desk clerk told us we couldn't use the "free night" certificate we got from our last horrible stay. Her explanation was that they needed to know about it when we made the reservation. Not a nice explanation, but downright nasty. Evidently the MOD fixed the issue overnight, but still.

Hotel/bar staff was efficient, but unfriendly. We found a piece of hard plastic in one meal. Waitress acted like it didn't matter a bit to her and brushed it off. Also, the food is very unremarkable and overpriced.

I guess they can get by with mediocre food because there's not a single restaurant open in downtown Jackson during the weekend days. This on a big ballet weekend makes us ask why we bother going there.

Nice hotel though - at least the AC worked and there was no warning about the city water this trip. $14 nightly is a bit high for valet parking.

The area needs a lot of development - kind of a slum part of downtown.

One warning - every single street in downtown Jackson is full of holes. Drive slowly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
msbesthotel, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
Tennessee-

As a native of Nashville, it is nice to hear from a fellow Tennessean.
Thanks so much for your interest in helping us create a service driven culture here the the HGI-King Edward.
I was concerned to hear that the guest service agent did not exhibit "free and independent" thinking as this is what i encourage, but was pleased the MOD exhibited my personal and professional values.
I remember when Nashville downtown was developing,,, think about the Hermitage Hotel in the 60's... Jackson is committed to the same downtown course as Nashville took. i am not comparing our hotel to the Hermitage as it stands today, or Nashville as it as grown to be a "world class" destination, but only inferring that we are proud or of wonderful city and proud of the recent developments in downtown.
It is fair to say that we have some "pent up" demand in our restaurant during the weekends, but we never strive to sacrifice quality Food and Beverage Service. Our Chef and F&B director are some of the finest professionals in the south, and they- as do i take your comments to heart, and will use your comment to frame a proactive and professional training in the areas you mentioned as a shorfall to expectations. When you return you will see that this week- we are developing the Southern Culinay collection, which is a vibrant new course for our King Edward Grill and Bar.
Of note- we are avid supporters of the Ballet and realize that this is what helps to give Jackson a distinctive flavor! Thank you again for your courtesies, We are a better hotel because of great people like yourself.
Carrboro, North Carolina
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This is one of the few hotels in Downtown Jackson and it was a wonderful stay! The rooms were clean and nice but it was the staff that was the best. Everyone was very accommodating and extremely polite. They were all very happy. In a time where customer service is few and far between it was such a good experience to be around staff that cares. Our room was right across from the trains but I never heard anything throughout the night and was never disturbed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank HRBrown
We kindly invite you to take personal ownership of how you were treated here at the King Edward. Because as we say here.... "it is easy to be nice when in service to wonderful people"