“October 7th & 8th 2011 JSU Homecoming”

Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown
Ranked #1 of 39 Hotels in Jackson
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Jackson is my hometown and I was visiting from my current city, Atlanta during the Jackson State University homecoming 2011. This hotel was amazing, and I have to think of where to begin with the compliments. I guess I'll begin at the beginning, the bell men where seen first and opened doors and welcomed my guest and I graciously. The lobby area was absolutely beautiful and made me anticipate the actual room decor. The check in was smooth without error and the front desk staff was smiling and courteous. I had been told by a friend to expect smaller rooms since the original hotel was older, but my double room was a nice size. (the only thing missing was a bathroom fixture with drawers, and the hair dryer was not in the restroom, but in the closet) The location for my event was perfect, being the parade was right outside of Capitol Street, the state fair was a few minutes away on High Street, and the game was in Veterans Memorial stadium which was only minutes away as well. For it to be an HBCU hyped weekend, I did not encounter any expected noise violations are that was a dissatisfaction. The overall best experience was the young lady who managed the breakfast buffet the morning of October 8th. She "WOWED" me by paying attention to the small details. I had ordered sweet tea without lemon and the actual server, who was very nice also, brought a sweet tea with lemon. I overhead the manager politely correct the server and say can you please bring him a fresh glass of tea without lemon, because he had sweet tea with no lemon. I joked and told her how i usually pretend to be allergic to lemon when I order to ensure I do not receive them, but thanked her ever so kindly for doing it "the right way". Last but not least, the weather was perfect and I enjoyed people watching and talking to kind strangers on the outside patio area.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank M L
MMAC2010, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your gracious comments on your recent visit. It was a pleasure hosting so many alumni for this special weekend event. Hope to see you again next year. Kind regards, Marlene Macaluso, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,085)

Reviewed September 14, 2011

Pulled up to an amazing architectural gem. Gorgeous old building. Even more beautiful inside. Gracious people. Standard HGI room. Note, right bybthe train tracks and I heard rumblings throughout the night. Would stay there again in a heartbeat.

If you like BBQ and an adventure find E&L BBQ. In a run down part of town but amazing BBQ

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank paul518
MMAC2010, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2011

Thanks so much for your glowing comments. It's truly our pleasure to have serviced you. Jackson is growing by leaps and bounds, with a shiny bright future ahead. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed September 13, 2011

We stayed for 1 night on a road trip. Hotel is basically on its own seemed isolated. We did however eat in the near empty dining room, but the food was great. The chef came out and spoke to us and said it was a new menu and how was we enjoying it v good. Friendly staff extremley clean and comfortable beds. Breakfast was good and more people eating. On checking out we discovered we had been charged for parking which was part of our package, this was no problem reception just amended our bill.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank bluesfanEastSussex
Wes S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2015

Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate your business and would be honored for you to stay with us in the future. Wes Scrape - General Manager

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Arrived hungry for dinner, and although the restaurant was closed the family friendly bar was open with a very accommodating menu! I had the Fried Green Tomatoes Salad - OMG!!! The best fried green tomatoes EVER!!! The food was D-LISH and worth every penny! My husband ordered the Caesar Salad w/ grilled chicken and said it was likely the best caesar salad he's ever had... and he eats those everywhere. We found the staff VERY friendly, the room very comfortable, clean. The tub was oversized and was jetted too! After the scrumptious dinner my daughter and I had a free cookie from the front desk... it was soooooo good! So much better than the cookies you have to pay for at the Seattle's best coffee inside the hotel! The parking garage offered a great level of security. We weren't there long enough to use the pool or the fitness room, but we plan to return to this hotel - sooner than later! Oh, we did eat breakfast there too - which was worth every penny as well, it was sort of a buffet, you could make your own waffle and top with various fresh and delicious options, along with omelets made to order. I, being a fan of good southern food, put their grits to the test, which I enjoyed VERY much. I also had a biscuit with honey and some sausage and bacon, with coffee. YUM YUM YUM. :) and the people were all soooo friendly, southern hospitality for sure! The only negative I could say is the immediate surrounding area of the hotel has not seen the 'revitalization' that the hotel itself has, but I hope that the hotel helps to bring back the rest of the immediate area. There is an Amtrak station directly across the street, we could hear trains go by (which were not loud) and wished we'd also taken time to look around the station a bit.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Heather B

Thanks so much for this unsolicited feedback. I am especially delighted to hear you enjoyed the food experience as much as the facility itself. Indeed, the revitalization of Jackson is underway..in a big way...and improving with each month. We are on the precipice of something wonderful. Thank you for sharing and come back and visit soon.

Reviewed September 5, 2011

First of all, the hotel itself is absolutely beautiful -- the staff isn't as charming. We arrived on Sunday at around 5:00 PM with the kids. We'd chosen this hotel for the HEATED pool that was open ALL NIGHT. We go to dinner at the very over priced restaurant down stairs .. where "Larry" the only waiter used an excuse of "I'm new to the area.." for any questions we had. We didnt really want to eat there but the front desk didn't seem interested in recommending other places .. it was also raining so we wanted something close by. We ate and then returned around 8:30 to go swimming. We met a man in the elevator (very nice) who informed us that the pool closed at 10:00. WHAT?! When we called to
make reservations the lady told us that it was open all night --- the kids wanted to swim so that's why we chose the Hilton. We go to the pool & meet a family that says "it's ice cold..." Umm okay, a heated pool is ice cold?!? Great. Also, we couldn't swim long because the chlorine was so strong. My eyes, the kids eyes, were burning. I felt as if I were in a bucket of bleach. The next morning we had breakfast down stairs --- very nice waiter. .... until he brings us a 60.00 check. We were told that breakfast was included in our package. About that time "Blake" comes around and ask how our stay was. We told him about the check and the pool. He informed us then that the heater to the pool was broken -- fine time to tell us pal. He offers to comp our room .. GREAT! We go to check out & it's a night mare! The girl at the front counter was SO rude. She entered something wrong in the computer & obviously didn't know
how to fix it so she said "Marlene is the only person who can print a receipt." Okay, that's crazy. We were only paying for parking (14.00 a day self park) which we weren't told of up front. The girl tells us "You can just stand there but I don't know how long til she comes.." RUDE! Marlene comes and is friendly but charges us for breakfast and parking ... really!? Your hotel just ruined our trip since. we couldn't swim & you're going to charge us?!? We will not be staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank csmith93114

Thank for you sharing your experience. Indeed, we apologize for the inconveniences experienced. Your comments have been shared with the team to be used for training purposes. Indeed we did remove the charges for your room accommodations given your dissatifaction with the pool amenity. I regret that you remain unhappy with our resolution.

Reviewed August 22, 2011

We pulled into Jackson around 11:30 PM during a road trip to New Orleans. We had booked through Priceline and got a great rateWe had one room reserved for five of us and discovered that we could not get a roll away due to the fire codes. We were thrown for a loop, and asked the front desk manager what the cost would be for an additional room. He replied $129 or $139 and I asked if he could please do better than that. My friends and I were going back and forth about what to do. That was $140 (after taxes) that we had not budgeted for. I went to try Priceline but it was too close to midnight. I implored the desk manager to please give us a lower rate but he said that he couldn't. We finally relented and bought the additional room. The manager was cordial and friendly and I'm sure he felt bad that he couldn't help us out, especially considering that it was midnight. The hotel had clearly not empowered him to do what was necessary.

That being said, the hotel was lovely and the coffee in the room was very tasty.

Room Tip: We got a great rate on priceline.com
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
MMAC2010, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2011

Dear Guest, Thank you for this constructive feedback. Indeed we will continue to work with our new night audit team to resolve issues like the one expressed here with greater flexibility. Your comments are much appreciated and we look forward to serving you again on your next visit to Jackson.
Kind regards

Reviewed August 21, 2011

Not a bad hotel. The lobby was gorgeous and the staff at the front desk were very accommodating. The hotel isn't new, but it was kept up well. You have to pay $14 for parking each night, even if you self park, but at least your knew your car was safe. Parking was a small problem on a Saturday night, but only because a wedding was going on at the same time. The downtown area did not feel the safest, but there was a security guard outside the front door at all times. There is a Seattle's Best coffee shop right next door, which was nice. There is also free coffee in the lobby each morning starting around 6am. In general, the hotel was everything we needed,without exceeding expectations. Our rate was about $85/night, so for that price, this was a steal. Would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple