“A magnificent property, but beware of the office staff”
Review of Fairview Inn

Fairview Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Jackson B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed one night at this incredible inn and in many respects it was the height of our visit to the South. This is a truly magnificent property. The manicured grounds are impressive and the rooms are nothing short of spectacular. The restaurant (1908 Provisions) offers an intimate dining experience. The Fairview Inn is on the higher end of our price range but a valid excuse to splurge.

One negative (and this was a major issue) has to do with the office staff. Several inexcusable errors were made that made us think there is nobody overseeing the operational side of things to the high standards of this magnificent property. First we received an email several days prior to our arrival addressed to another guest welcoming us to the Fairview Inn. Then the day before our arrival we were deluged with a relentless flood of phone calls questioning our credit card. This was all cleared up upon our arrival but the volume of messages received on this issue was disruptive and unwarranted. Then after departing the next morning using their express check-out, we noticed the total charges pending to our credit card were substantially over the stated room rate + taxes. I assumed they had double-billed us for our dinner in their restaurant which was not charged to our room. When I questioned our bill via email the office explained that there is always an extra $100 added "provisionally" until the account is finalized. I assume this is until the room has been checked for damages. All-in-all the whole experience gave me the firm impression the office staff is a loose cannon and not operating in the interests of the clientele. Keep in mind this is a five star property. We were treated as though we were staying in a third rate flophouse.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mascalzone
Innkeeper-Jackson, Owner at Fairview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

While we are certainly pleased that the reviewer enjoyed the facilities and grounds, I am only sorry they did not bring to my attention their concerns when I met them making rounds at dinner.
I believe the fact that we were unable to get approval on the guest credit card prior to arrival, was the reason for the phone calls to the guest. As with all guests, we do charge one nights room & tax on the credit card provided, prior to arrival. Upon check-in we pre-authorize their card for incidental charges they may incur. If not used, this authorization is released by their bank. Our office staff pride themselves on being as meticulous as possible in making sure all correspondence is accurate. I am only sorry in this reviewer's opinion, we fell short of exceeding their expectations.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Great location, quiet setting. We have stayed here several times and have always stayed in a different suite, each if them have their own charm. Would highly recommend for adults. A definite 10. We only stay at the Fairview Inn when we are in Jackson. Breakfast is excellent. Worth the price for this first class bed and breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quiet. There is not a bad room in our minds.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I got married over the holidays (December 2013), and my entire out-of-town family from New York stayed at the Fairview Inn, in total I think we had about 10 rms in the Inn. They could not have been happier with my choice for their accommodations. They were amazed at the beauty of the Inn, the extremely helpful and friendly staff, and the phenomenal breakfast! The Inn itself is gorgeous, and we also spent quite a bit of time in The Library bar -- which btw, is not to be missed if you appreciate STELLAR COCKTAILS and a very classy atmosphere!! The Fairview staff took amazing care of everyone, and everyone loved the charming rooms. I want to personally thank the staff for their hospitality and graciousness. They could not have been more lovely or more welcoming/accommodating. I had other friends who had a reservation at another hotel that got bungled, and they found them a room at the last minute. HUGE help, and my friends thought the Inn was awesome! Also, the night of our wedding, my husband and I stayed in the French room (they upgraded us to this larger room for free), and we LOVED it. So gorgeous, very clean and spacious, and quite romantic. I will forever recommend the Fairview Inn to any visitors to Jackson. It is one of the most unique and lovely B&B's I've ever stayed in, and the staff was marvelous. THANK YOU FOR MAKING MY FAMILY'S FIRST TRIP TO JACKSON, MISSISSIPPI AN ABSOLUTE PLEASURE!!! :)

Room Tip: We loved the French room, as it had a fireplace as well as a HUGE jacuzzi tub.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Julie W
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I have stayed at the Fairview Inn on numerous occasions and, without exception, have had excellent service. Plus, my rooms have always been spotless and with full amenities. The staff has been nothing by polite, helpful and have, on two stays, gone out of their way to assist me with special needs even when I didn't e-mail ahead to request them. I think mellisajoseph1 must have some sort of grudge against the proprietors. I have known them for two decades and Tamar is a very kind, friendly and warm individual. Peter is a fine English-born gentleman would wouldn't say bull if he were standing in a pile of it. This is a wonderful place to stay and the prior review should be ignored since it was obviously written by a demented, bitter individual. They wouldn't be in business if their Inn was this bad, as surely someone would have closed them down by now. You can stay there with confidence.

Room Tip: All the rooms have been recently updated and are in perfect condition. Look at the pictures and pic...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SueBelle
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I had stayed in Simon's Loft before and requested it again. 2 days before my arrival, i was in-
formed that room would no longer be available and, at the same rate, I could have another room.
I arrived in a handicapped room with putrid green carpet, a dingy ambience, grab bars everywhere, a tiny tub and a plain room where windows are sealed shut, and the doors are wide
enough for wheelchair access. I tried to stay there, but requested another room. I was moved
reluctantly to the executive suite that showed online a photo of a lovely room with a fireplace.
I arrived only to find a filthy bathroom with a large hair on the side of the toilet, scum outlining the
shower, a broken shower door, a glass shelf over the pitted lavatory that slanted so much that
no items would stay put, sealed windows, and a kettle with such a short cord that I had to plug it in by leaving it on the floor in order to reach an outlet. The vanity mirror in the bathroom was broken so that it wobbled forwards and backwards, never standing upright. There was a half roll
of toilet paper, no extra to spare, a little kleenex left in the box and again none other to spare as well. I called downstairs the next morning and requested more coffee and bottled water. Five hours later someone brought me those items. I reported all this and was told I could move to
another hotel though I would need to make the reservation, move my things myself, and deal
with all other minutiae. There was no sign of anyone who was at all solicitous; in fact, it seemed
that I was an intrusion into their life as they made more money from their never ending Christmas
parties. When I did ask if I could possibly be moved to the room that was requested and confirmed a month earlier, I was told it was now taken. I reported all these issues and was dis-
missed with the comment that I could have gone to another hotel. The fact is, I wanted to stay in
the room that I knew would provide me with all that I needed to be comfortable: fresh air, a bathtub, and privacy. I requested a late check out which was neither rebuffed nor acknowledged.
I therefore assumed I could have that request honored. When told that was not possible, I then
asked if my visitor and I could go to the library downstairs. I was told that was off limits except
for evening parities. There was never a warm welcome, a helping hand, or any sort of solicitousness. No southern charm or hospitality exists at The Fairview Inn. Peter and Tamar
Sharp treated me not as a guest but as a nuisance. I will never stay there again. And I have
told as many people as I know of my experience. What a shame to have to reveal this most
unpleasant experience.

Room Tip: previously, on two occasions, i have stayed in simon's loft. i was never able to have that room...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank melissajoseph1
Innkeeper-Jackson, Owner at Fairview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

We are certainly concerned with this guest’s comments about their stay. We realized early on that we were never going to be able to meet, never mind exceed, their expectations. We could do nothing to satisfy them, therefore we suggested they seek alternative accommodations. We hope that the excellent reviews we have received from our many other guests will put this review in prospective.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

We have stayed at the Fairview Inn a number of times & have always enjoyed our visits .The Inn keeps a stocked " honor " bar stocked with beer,wine,soft drinks, & water + various snacks . A generous breakfast is included with your room & is always delicious. We like the location as it is close to two small college campuses ( Bellhaven & Millsaps ) which are both very nice for a long morning or afternoon walk or jog. The Fairview has a small bar for meeting friends & recently opened a spa which have not visited.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Larry M
Reviewed December 4, 2013

This is old Mississippi at it's best! The Fairview Inn is a lovely place to stay and experience southern hospitality. This is our 2nd stay and we are not disappointed. The Inn is beautifully decorated for the Christmas holidays and the staff is friendly and helpful. The Fairview is a B & B Inn, a deluxe breakfast is included in the rate. We especially like that there is a wonderful restaurant, Sophia's, within the Inn, so we don't have to move the car once we check in. Since our last stay, they have transformed the library into a lounge area ~ which is another reason not to have to leave the property for anything at all!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business