“Nice Bed and Breakfast”
Review of Fairview Inn

Fairview Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Jackson B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 24, 2011

The Fairview Inn is a very beautiful bed and breakfast inn. The staff is warm and friendly. The common areas are beautiful. The room was very spacious. The bedding was comfortable. The bathrooms were authentic to an older home but overall worked well with some patience. For example, the water temperature does not adjust as quickly as most people are accustomed. The sitting area needed some refurbishing of the furniture. For example, the couch was uncomfortable. The breakfast was very tasty and I had many choices. Wireless internet service was available at no additional charge but the signal was weak. My main concern was that every time I left my room, my thermostat was adjusted upwardly. I could even understand this if it was just after room service but it occurred even when I went out to dinner. I do not believe this was a problem with the thermostat but actually someone coming into my room while I was out. There is no turn down service so this is not an explanation. The rationale for my statement is that the thermostat stayed at the temperature I set it as long as I was in the room. So, I was uncomfortably warm for an hour or so upon my return to the room.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Islandtime1027

Reviewed November 10, 2011

My wife and I were totally impressed with our suite, the dining experiences and the lovely garden at the Fairview Inn.

Reviewed November 3, 2011

We recently returned from a visit to Mississippi where our bike tour started in Jackson and ended in Natchez. The first night of our trip was at the gracious Fairview Inn. Everything about our stay could not have been better. We had lovely accomodations, delicious multi course breakfasts, beautiful gardens and decks to relax in and, best of all, were the extremely helpful staff. The owners were very visible and set the standard for all the employees who seemed happy to go out of their way for any needs their guests might have. I highly recommend this lovely small hotel.

Reviewed October 24, 2011

We had the absolute pleasure of staying at the inn last Saturday. We have never stayed in a hotel or bed and breakfast inn anywhere in the world that compares favorably with this inn. For the first hour or so, we just looked at each other in a bit of disbelief at the overall beauty of the inn and our particular room: As close to perfection as one could find anywhere. It appears every square foot of the inn was carefully planned to look great and to induce pleasure and comfort in your guests. We then had dinner at Sophia's and realized we must be blessed. The restaurant is just as beautiful as the rest of the inn and our waitress was wonderful. As for the food, it was of a quality that would rank high in any city in the world. If only this restaurant were located in Birmingham! We would likely visit once per week. Breakfast was outstanding as well. I had New Orleans' style Eggs Benedict that was beautiful on the plate and really, the best I have had tastewise.

Room Tip: Every room is outstanding.
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We splurged on the Magnolia suite and had a wonderful, restful time. Great bed. Outstanding steak, perfectly cooked in the restaurant. Excellent breakfast and very pleasant server. We stayed 3 nights and the only problem was some noisy pool players late one night, but when we asked for quiet, they gave it. Our room was over the front door, and when large parties broke up, we could hear voices for a few minutes. Otherwise, it was marvelously quiet. Everyone was very nice. The night staff person when we arrived was a little non-plussed, but it was in the middle of a party in the lobby, and when we were gracious about the confusion, she was, too. Brought all our luggage up in the elevator. I highly recommend it. Near the Eudora Welty House and Gardens, too, which are wonderful.

1  Thank LoveQuietPlaces
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Check in was not clearly marked, people were coming and going, no one acknowledge we were standing there until we spoke up and asked where check in was. Then another couple that was waiting in the foyer stated they were first they had been waiting over 20 minutes. After we were checked in we were told a wedding was taking place that night and most of the inn would be off limits due to the wedding. We had booked the Strawberry room because it was one of the only rooms that had a king bed and a Jacuzzi tub (which were both major reasons for booking). We had been to the state fair earlier in the day (which we thought was good). So the first thing I wanted to do when getting to our room was take a bath and relax before dinner. When I turned the water on in the tub it was brown, my husband said it could be since the house is so old let it run, I ran the water for 20 minutes before it cleared. After filling the tub I turned on the Jacuzzi jets which came on for 2 seconds and went off. I could not get the tub to ever work it started to leak water on the floor from under the tub. I called down to have someone come look at it because by now it was turning on and off by itself and leaking more water on the floor. They did come to look and the employee who came was very apologetic saying she would see what she could do about moving us to another room. She called back and said they were booked and to speak with the manager in the morning to see what she could do for us. Someone did come and bring towels to put on the bathroom floor, they didn’t clean up the water just laid towels all over the floor. We had bought the package that included dinner for two at Sophia's, we were disappointed to find out we could not order from the menu only two choices were available with the package. Even though this was not what we wanted the choices were prepared well and we left full. The bedding does need to be updated; the pillows crinkled and kept waking us up all night. Breakfast was good, the only good thing about the weekend. After breakfast we asked to speak with the manager and were told we had to call her. We were told that since we had bought the package at a discounted rate that she didn’t know what she could do for us, she would have to discuss it with her husband. She took our phone # and as of today has never made an attempt to contact us. I do realize I bought the package at a discounted rate but I really did not expect discounted service. I expected much more out of a four diamond inn I was sadly disappointed.

1  Thank stephhtigger
Reviewed October 2, 2011

The Fairview is a delight! While pricey, it is worth it. We stayed in a suite in the newer part of the hotel and loved the ambiance and the decor.

The only thing I didn't like about our room location is upon checking in and when we went to dinner at Sophia's, we had to walk through a room where a party was taking place. I wish there had been a better way to get to our room, especially when checking in, as it is awkward to carry your luggage(plus when you are sweaty from the hot weather and road travel) through a room of nicely dressed people.

That being said, once we were in our room we felt that it was private and quiet. The bed was excellent, and we especially enjoyed the jacuzzi tub and our sitting area overlooking the lovely gardens. The breakfast was very nice and Sophia's for dinner was good, also.

The owners and staff of the inn do an excellent job of maintaining the property. Take the time to tour and enjoy it during your stay.

Room Tip: The rooms in the newer portion of the Fairview seem quieter, as they are more removed from the event...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple