“Over-the-top Southern gentility”

Ranked #1 of 5 Jackson B&B and Inns
Atlanta
“Over-the-top Southern gentility”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

This high-end establishment is almost a cartoon of Southern hospitality, with its overstuffed decor and exaggerated "charm." If you love that sort of thing, you should love this lavish bed and breakfast. The restaurant was quite good, though the breakfast was subpar; the room (we stayed in "the Greek") was large and quite comfortable, and the all-night snack bar is a nice feature for night-owls, insomniacs, and early risers alike. My only complaints center on the bathroom, and they are serious. For an establishment that pulls out all the stops for a luxury experience, the bath, of all things, should be superb. Not so: the showerhead seemed to be positioned to serve a population of elves, the water pressure was extremely low and every toilet flush or hot water draught in the building seemed to lower it further, and the only temperature options seemed - perversely - to be "scalding" and "off." But for the bath, this place would be an ideal romantic setting for celebrants of the Old South.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mousewife
Innkeeper-Jackson, Owner at Fairview Inn, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding your experience at the Fairview. We do apologize for the water pressure problems you experienced during your stay. Unfortunately the City of Jackson is repiping some areas that aafects our water pressure from time to time. This will also affect the very hot shower you experienced. We appreciate your recommendation on the shower height in the Greek Suite, and have already taken steps to adjust accordingly. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
flowood, ms
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Romms are very large and beautifully decorated. The coffe and tea bar with cake was free and greatly enjoyed.

1 Thank frc59
Natchez, MS
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We visited Jackson and the Fairview Inn in July 2011 to enjoy some well earned R&R. Our goals were achieved – Boy did we get relaxed. The proprietors Peter & Tamar are to be highly commended for their wonderfully comfortable B&B, historical furnishings, services & hospitality, friendly staff, and knowledge of Jackson. In our 3-day stay, we relaxed in the comfort of our suite and many guest lounging areas, strolled the beautiful grounds of the historical Belhaven property, savored terrific foods in their Sophia’s Restaurant (named after their daughter), dined during their “Culinary Tour of America” event, relaxed in their calming spa (named after their son), de-stressed in a nearby fitness center, enjoyed some Jackson sights & sounds, purchased some antiques in shops nearby and exchanged fun conversation with the proprietors and other guests. We are fellow Mississippian’s and plan to return again & again. Ron & Eleanor

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank VictorianComfort
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Reviewed July 23, 2011

The Fairview is lovely; the staff is vey helpful! BEAUTIFUL Bed and Breadfast!!!!!!!

1 Thank Susan39564
Louisiana
Reviewed July 16, 2011

[Note: I sent an email to the Innkeeper a few days ago and got no response, so I'm posting this here since they asked us to post on TripAdvisor. I'm glad to read in other reviews that others had a better experience than we did.]

We stayed in the Strawberry Room, which was the only room they had available. I know that some of these are small details, but the details make the difference, in my opinion--especially when paying $230 for a room. To-wit:

1) The floors in the bathroom were sticky and grimy, such that I had to wash my feet after walking in there barefoot. Otherwise, the soles of my feet would stick to my shoes when I put them on. I think it must be the solution used with the mop. I ended up just putting the bathmats and towels on the floor so we would never have to walk on the tile.
2) The make-up mirror was broken—wouldn’t tilt up and wouldn’t telescope up to the proper height. This matters to a woman over 40! :-)
3) The switch plate on the mirror was falling off, such that I had to wrangle the hairdryer from it with some difficulty.
4) The nightlight flickered constantly.
5) The pillows were small, lumpy and hard, with no option for feather pillows.
6) I finally found a feather pillow in the closet and took another one out of a pillow sham, but the pillowcase had a big stain in the middle of it (like someone had drooled all over it). It was truly disgusting and made me feel like the whole place was dirty. I left it on the bed when we checked out in the hopes that it would be changed for the next guest.
7) The pillow linens looked old and disheveled when uncovered after turn-down service, and the towels (all hidden underneath the sink in a cabinet) were haphazardly folded—made me wonder if they had been used.
8) The strawberry-covered chair at the foot of the bed was once charming but is now broken and the fabric is absolutely filthy--I didn't want my young daughter to sit in it or to put her pillows on it.
9) There were a total of only three thin cotton blankets for the bed and daybed--nothing cozy.
8) The light coming in the room at night from the large lanterns was bright even with the blinds closed and the curtains drawn—there’s no blackout lining.
9) The noise from the outside door slamming shut right next to our room, as well as the noise from the other doors in the hallway slamming shut, woke me up several times.
10) When I came to breakfast at 9:30 am (it ends at 10 am), the delicious breakfast casserole my husband enjoyed earlier was gone, as was the bacon. All that was left of the hot breakfast (you pay $15 for this for every additional person after one) was one dried-out poached egg, one piece of sausage (which I don’t eat), and some grits. Disappointing. I will say that I was VERY impressed with the bowl of beautiful fresh berries, which is what my daughter and I ended up eating in the end.

We chose the Fairview Inn for the special details that we have come to expect at fine inns and have enjoyed here in the past. In sum: It was an expensive bad night’s sleep (for my husband and myself) and a most disappointing hot breakfast for me.

I hope this doesn’t make for a bad day—just helpful tips on how to make your future guests happier!

P.S. You might consider increasing the volume of the music in the little coffee bar area. When we came in there were four people sitting in there already, but there was an awkward silence. I was thinking it would have been nice to have had a little more background music filling up the space so that we could speak to each other without feeling like we were intruding or having people share in our every word.
Also, the email address you sent has a typo and so my first attempt bounced back to me—you have it as innkeeper@fairviewinnN.com.”

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near the back door (the Strawberry Room is one of them).
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Christiaria
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We stayed in the Magnolia suite and it was absolutely gorgeous. the food was incredible, and The staff was so helpful! This is a definate southern gem!

Room Tip: each and every room is gorgeous
1 Thank Jenniferbryars
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We had a wonderful stay at the Fairview Inn in their Spanish Suite. We chose it as a suitable location for a mid way stop for our drive from Memphis to New Orleans. The room was fantastic, we loved the Jacuzzi in the room and then stroll around the beautiful grounds, oh and the bed was oh so comfy. Would definitely make it a stop next time we're in the area.

Room Tip: Spanish Suite was fantastic!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple