“Great Family Attraction” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Jackson Zoo
Ranked #11 of 53 things to do in Jackson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Enjoy a day of fun for the entire family at this zoo that houses large cats, monkeys and more than 250 other types of animals, plus a carousel, minature train, petting zoo for children, gift shop and concessions.
Jackson, MS
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Family Attraction”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2009

I have taken my kids to the Jackson Zoo several times and have always had a good experience. My kids especially loved the giraffes and the monkeys. The tigers are getting a new space in 2010 so we will definitely check that out. It's a fun family attraction for a good price.

• Polish first
Detroit, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“The zoo keepers do NOT love or like animals!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2009

I recommend that this zoo should be closed, and the animals should be sent to other zoos to live where the keepers will love them and care from them properly. I read the reviews on this site saying that it was not a good zoo in comparison with others- and boy were they right. I so wanted them to be wrong. I cannot describe the despair of the animals here. It is horriffic. They do not have adequate living space (for example 4 tigers are kept in a metal cage about 1000 sq ft), they are not given fresh water frequently(all of the water dishes including where the fish were was murky and smelly), their living areas are not clean(many were filled with feces and other falling debris), their bodies look dirty and in poor condition, and to top it off the animals look you in the eyes (esp the monkeys and big cats)and seem to plead with you. I wanted to cry, it was just devastating.
Please do not visit this zoo, for the sake of the animals. I hope that this zoo is forced to close.
TO TOP IT ALL OFF:
While we were looking at the tigers in disbelief, one who appeared sound asleep suddenly jumped down and got into a crouching/hunting position with his ears back and tail slowly thumping the cement. The other 3 tigers followed suite. We got scared and stepped back, not sure what had gotten their attention. Do you know what/who it was?
It was a zoo keeper/employee walking by. He smiled and appeared to loving say something to the tigers, however their body language let us know that they were not happy to see him. They all crouched down very low, as if to be hidden by tall grass- ears all flattened and eyes squinted....
Oh! I almost forgot: There is a cheetah(or spotted leopard) that was born at the zoo that lives in a cage. She was famished for water! She was panting so hard and pacing her cage. She walked over to us, as if to beg for water, since apparently she is used to people. I looked at her water dish, and of course- it was dirty...........

7 Thank OneFJS
zoolady3, Director at The Jackson Zoo, responded to this review, December 29, 2009
It is always distressing to read a review from any individual that did not enjoy their visit to our zoo, and we strive to make each person's visit a special experience. All staff here at the zoo - especially the zoo keepers - work very hard to be sure that the animals have the best environment that we can offer. Jackson Zoo is a 90 year old facility which is making many renovations to continue with ongoing upgrades to the exhibits. The zoo keepers care very much about the animals and we all support their efforts in giving quality care!
Aiken, SC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Relocate the Zoo”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2008

I grew up going to that zoo as a kid and am now 40 and now live in another state. A couple years ago I took my kids and we had a pretty good time. There were some great additions, but overall that zoo is outdated. It brought back some great memories, but truthfully wasn't nearly as impressive to my children as it had been to me ~ years ago.

Nobody wants to say this, but its location in a crime-ridden worn out part of Jackson is a huge negative. It wasn't a "Leave it to Beaver" neighborhood when I last went to it as a child. It is now an outright dangerous area now.

This zoo is bleeding green (money) because of it's location. Suggest moving it to Rankin or Madison County off of I-20 or I-55. Hinds county wouldn't be bad either if you put it down in the Byram area off of I-55. Needs to be off an interstate and accessible. It is certainly senseless to have to travel to Memphis or New Orleans for a zoo experience unless you are north of Grenada or south of McComb.

The zoo at its location at Livingston Park has had its run. Time for major upgrade in a better area. This zoo, in a metro the size of Jackson should certainly get more than 200,000 visitors annually.

4 Thank tboatner
A TripAdvisor Member
“displeased, but ok”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2005

i think the zoo needs to be updated very bad if you ask me.some of the things that are still there were there when i was a little, and i am now 26 .
the neighborhood its in is not a good one at all,most people are scared to even take theirfamily down there.then you have some familys who will just go to other zoos like new orleans zoo and the memphis zoo. so that should tell you something there b/c yall are losing business especially when all the mississipians are leaving to go other places.
Thanks!!!!
P.S please hear me out please update and most definetly please close hte petting zoo we don't need another child dieing from ecoli from the animals
i hope someone will at least read this, if not about all the ather stuff i wrote but ,at least about the petting zoo.
A concerned parent!

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to The Jackson Zoo? Share your experiences!