“Great place for Toddlers”
Review of The Jackson Zoo

The Jackson Zoo
Ranked #11 of 54 things to do in Jackson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Enjoy a day of fun for the entire family at this zoo that houses large cats, monkeys and more than 250 other types of animals, including a contact yard for barn animals. Kids can take a ride on a real carousel, the whole family can enjoy miniature train, plus gift shop, and concessions.
Jackson, Mississippi
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great place for Toddlers”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

The Jackson Zoo used to be a gem in Jackson. When I was a kid there were lions, and tigers, and bears...(like grizzlies and polar bears.) However as time and zoos have changed this zoo hasn't been able to keep up. Funding seems to be the major problem. If you have kids they'll enjoy this park (because honestly kids have a good time looking at any animals and running through this smaller park) The carousel is lovely. You'll also not have to worry about walking over a HUGE park because this zoo is relatively small and makes for a great day trip for toddlers. There won't be crowds and crowds of people to fight unless there is a special event scheduled. Just know ahead of time that you're not going to see elephants and some other animals you'd expect to see at a zoo.

Visited February 2013

• Polish first
Jackson, Mississippi
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Just Wrong...”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

If you have any respect for animals you don't allow them to live like this. It's time to admit that it isn't working and give these animals a new home...

Visited October 2012
10 Thank rachel i
Brandon, Mississippi
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“sad”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I have always loved the Zoo and the Jackson Zoo isn't what it use to be. Yes its pretty and has many activities to do with children. However, what is a Zoo with out and Elephant?

Visited April 2012
2 Thank mystieday
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“I'm glad we went”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I were vacationing throughout the South and planned to go to the Jackson Zoo. We almost didn't go because a few days before, we had been to the Memphis Zoo and I figured we'd seen enough. I also remembered reading unfavorable reviews on here.
We went during a week day and there was no one there, so we had it pretty much to ourselves which was nice.
The zoo is not huge, but it's larger than some other zoo's I've been to.
There were a few animals that we didn't get to see. I know some enclosures were being renovated, which I think is great.
We saw a lot of great animals though and I didn't feel that any of them were poorly taken care of or anything.
I enjoy seeing different zoo's and I'm very glad we went here. I would visit again.

Visited September 2012
3 Thank passionflwr
Mississippi
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Past it's prime”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This zoo was great when I was a little kid up until about 15 years ago. Most of the animals are gone or dead, and they are not replacing them. Most of the cages are empty or have a few birds in them. It's really sad to visit there. The surrounding area is dangerous too.

Visited May 2012
6 Thank FlorenceMississippi

Been to The Jackson Zoo? Share your experiences!