“What a difference a year makes”
Review of The Jackson Zoo

The Jackson Zoo
Ranked #11 of 53 things to do in Jackson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Enjoy a day of fun for the entire family at this zoo that houses large cats, monkeys and more than 250 other types of animals, including a contact yard for barn animals. Kids can take a ride on a real carousel, the whole family can enjoy miniature train, plus gift shop, and concessions.
West Point, Mississippi
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“What a difference a year makes”
Reviewed October 14, 2011

My two sons and I attend a church camp in the area ever summer and last year (June 2010) we decided to take a trip to the zoo afterwards. We were very pleasantly surprised at the condition of the zoo and the amount of attractions. My boys (both under 10 at the time) loved the Discovery area and the playground next to it. They also loved walking through the water misters that were scattered about the park - a great idea for cooling off in the Mississippi summer heat. My only gripes with the original visit was bad neighborhood, and the lack of concessions and employees. The neighborhood looked pretty rough going in but once you get in the zoo area it isn't that bad. I oddly enough would have rather they charged me for parking and closed the gates behind me though. The central concession area was the only place open to get any types of refreshments, despite several areas that looked like small closed vendor stands. The employees were few and far between, which wasn't necessary a bad thing, but just kind of made the place look a little dead.

I was so impressed from our first visit, possibly from the low expectations going in, that I recommended it to several people and even bought tickets from an online discount site ahead of time for our visit the following year.

Our return visit this year was not nearly as pleasant. Same gripes as the year before, plus some major additional ones. The employees in general were ruder than the year before. The discovery center had a lot of "renovations" going on in the playground area. It basically looked like they gutted the place, roped it off and just left it that way. Several animals were no-shows including the elephants, which were moved (to Nashville I think), and the beavers, which were really fun to watch in their enclosure the year before. There was only one working water mister that we could find, making the temperature a lot more unbearable. The train conductor had pretty much locked himself inside his office and it was hard to even get his attention to purchase tickets. The train ride itself wasn't too bad, but it was a little sad to go around the pond that had some old run down exhibits that were no longer in use. The condition of the zoo was so bad that my boys used their allowance money and then asked for more money to put in the donation boxes at the animal exhibits so the zoo could "fix them up and not have to close".

The one good thing I had to say about this visit that was an improvement was that ONE very friendly zoo employee came up to us and asked us if we had any questions and/or needed any help. She also explained to us that they were working on a new exhibit that should be opening soon.

It's sad how far downhill it went in just one year. Unfortunately, in my opinion, it seems like the Zoo administrators are putting forth very little effort to improve the experience, with the exception of a few token renovations.

Visited June 2011
4 Thank RobertM62

• Polish first
Jackson, Mississippi
“Zoo Excelled All Expectations”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The Jackson Zoo was a pleasant setting for my family and I. We really enjoyed the experience. All of the animals seemed very happy and up to par. We saw animals we didn't intend on seeing. The zoo was clean. The only drawback is that the people at the food court didnt have the best of attitudes. The train conductor is really sweet and the ride itself was wonderful especially during this time of the year when the weather is so nice. Dont let the other reviews discourage you. This zoo has come a long way and its a very nice place to go and enjoy the day.

Visited September 2011
Prairie
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Don't waste your time or money on this joke of a zoo!!”
Reviewed September 7, 2011

Lets begin with the location, I was afraid I had taken a wrong turn somewhere because its in a very skeptical looking neighborhood. I had my husband and my two boys age 7 and 2 with me. My 7 year old was very excited until he saw this zoo. I could see the disappointment in his face. It was 30.00 for us to get in.(RIP OFF) Thats rediculous. $6.00 for a 2 year old to see basically nothing. I don't recommend this zoo to anyone. I should have taken heed to the other reviews.

Visited September 2011
6 Thank Jannie B
Brandon, Mississippi
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Extremely Disappointed”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I had not been to the Jackson Zoo in about a year and a half. Boy has it changed! I agree with a previous writer - the employees were very unfriendly. The first of which we encountered at the entrance. She could barely rouse herself to take our money - $30.00 for two adults and two children - WAY overpriced for the condition of the zoo. We saw very few animals, maybe it was because it was so hot, but we were very disappointed. It appeared that most of the exhibits were uninhabited. It was very sad to see how the zoo has deteriorated. I have been going to the Jackson Zoo for 50 years and today saw it at its worst. Don't waste your time or money. There were no large animals except three tigers and a rhino. The Mississippi exhibit was sad. No alligators, no beavers, and the otter was swimming in green water. The employee at the refreshment center was rude, left us standing there for several minutes while she counted money. The least she could have done was greeted us and told us she would be with us in a minute instead of ignoring us while we stood there! There were no animals at the petting zoo and the discovery area was closed. I would have asked for a refund when we left but the cashier was already cashing out her drawer. Very, very sad. And hope you don't have to go to the restroom while your there., It was disgusting!

Visited August 2011
8 Thank Beth H
Cumberland, Maryland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Don't waste your time...it's really bad”
Reviewed June 28, 2011

My wife and I went a few months ago on Thanksgiving Day since it had free admission. Good thing we didn't spend any money, or I would have been very upset. There was very little to see or do. Don't bother.

Visited November 2010
4 Thank timaeus1

Been to The Jackson Zoo? Share your experiences!