“Not too bad!”

The Jackson Zoo
Ranked #11 of 54 things to do in Jackson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Enjoy a day of fun for the entire family at this zoo that houses large cats, monkeys and more than 250 other types of animals, including a contact yard for barn animals. Kids can take a ride on a real carousel, the whole family can enjoy miniature train, plus gift shop, and concessions.
NC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Not too bad!”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

After reading the reviews, my wife and I were a little hesitant. However, our 13 month old son wouldn't know the difference and we wanted him to see some live animals so we went anyway. It was HOT!! The zoo offered lots of shade, misters, and a couple of indoor exhibits that allowed one to escape the heat when it got too unbearable. There were plenty of animals to keep us and our son entertained! Unfortunately they didn't have an elephant and most of the animals were lethargic due to the heat. We will definitely go back, but it'll have to be during a cooler time of year (or EARLY in the morning)!

1 Thank jboomer

• Polish first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“One of the Worst zoos in America.”
Reviewed April 19, 2011

I am a native Mississippian and have been to this zoo many times. It is not there as a zoo it is there to provide the management and employees a reason to collect their paychecks. A few (3) years ago I complained about the condition of the zoo to the organization responsible for certifying them as a zoo. They said they would check on it but nothing happened and they were recertified the next year. The zoo says they have spent several million dollars on the zoo but most of it must have gone for payroll increases. This zoo is at the bottom of the pile. The SPCA if they are worth two cents should investigate this zoo.
green water or no water in cages, etc etc all the other reviews condemning this zoo are factual. The good reviews were written by ignorant people who have no idea of how a zoo should look or by zoo employees. Terrible, Terrible and please no excuses about being 90 years old.

Visited May 2010
8 Thank DavidLFrazier
Jackson, Mississippi
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great place for the whole family”
Reviewed February 14, 2011

I know it sounds cliche, but the Jackson Zoo is a great place for the whole family to enjoy. Over the past few years, they've done some updating and really added a new shine with the new exhibits. The new Sumatran Tiger exhibit is fantastic.

Visited February 2011
Monroe, Louisiana
“Absolutely wonderful!”
Reviewed October 1, 2010

Absolutely great! Both my husband and I didn't have high expectations for Jackson Zoo at all. However, we were plesently surprised. The whole zoo is in shade with a lot of places to sit down and enjoy the view.Most importantly, it was very neat and clean (I swear it was better than the Dallas Zoo, for example). The animals are in good shape and there are several really interesting animals that we weren't expecting to see at the zoo of medium size (e.g., red fox panda, Sumatran tigers). We spent 4 hours walking around and looking at the animals, and we could easily spend more time there if they weren't closing the zoo I guess it didn't hurt that we had the most beautiful weather that day (end of September). I would highly recommend the Jackson Zoo to anyone who enjoys nature, walking, and animals. Oh, and for the folks with kids...there are designated nice areas for kids to play. Overall, really really nice medium size zoo!

Jackson, Mississippi
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great for an afternoon with kids”
Reviewed August 22, 2010

For Jackson, MS this is a very nice zoo. There are several new exhibits including the beautiful new tiger habitat. It is true this zoo is old, but that's part of the charm. The staff is always very helpful and the zoo often hosts fun events. I have been many times over the years and always had a great experience. I recently took my 17 month old nephew and he had a blast!

Been to The Jackson Zoo? Share your experiences!