“Try the tomato jam!!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 29, 2014

This all started when I told a friend I was going to Memphis for work. He is known as the BBQ expert within our circle of acquaintances. MBC is listed in Horn Lake which is just on the west side of I-55 at Goodman Road next to Southaven.
He was curious about the Cheese fritters and the Pecan Wood they use in the smoker.
So after a little wait, I ordered the Cheese Fritters. When they arrived they looked like hush puppies, but they definitely were not. The sat in a honey mustard sauce, which on future visits I will ask for on the side. One bite and they were magnificent. They were fluffy and the cheese justs melts in your mouth. The honey mustard sauce was good, but they had Tomato Jam listed on the menu and I requested a side to try. I have never tried tomato jam so I was interested. It is made by first smoking the tomatoes, then they are puréed and cooked down with sugar. Then some secret spices are added as well as a little chipotle for just a little kick. It was so good I tried it with everything I ate, this is why I recommend the honey mustard on the side.
So then I ordered my meal, beef brisket with sides of potato salad, baked beans, and Mac and cheese, the waitresses recommendation.
The brisket was moist and would fall apart with only my fork, I could not detect the pecan in the flavor but I had a bit of a head cold during this visit to MBC. Of note I am not a big fan of cornbread but I did like theirs it was very moist and with the Tomato Jam added it was even better.
The Mac and cheese was excellent, served at the right temperature not cold or stuck together, and the baked beans were very good, the plethora of spices was very enjoyable.
MBC is definably worth a visit.

1  Thank b25pilot
There are newer reviews for Memphis Barbecue Co.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Dined at the restaurant tonight and ordered the BBQ platter consisting of beef brisket and pulled pork. Absolutely tender and some of the best BBQ that I have ate. Sauce was light and flavorful.
Had two sides, fried Okra and creamy cole slaw. Very fresh. Entire meal with beverage was under $20. Highly recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Ken T
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I stopped in at MBC on a buddies golf trip to MS in July. We got complimentary pork rinds while waiting for our orders. The rinds were very good and we asked for another batch. I ordered the dry ribs with cornbread, turnip greens and BBQ spaghetti for my sides. The cornbread was very good. I didn't care for the turnip greens or the BBQ spaghetti. My ribs were tough, not the fall off the bone kind that I prefer. The service was spotty. Our waitress didn't get my order right. Overall, I didn't think MBC's barbecue measured up to the quality I expect in my Memphis BBQ.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Awesome Barbeque! I could not decide which one was better, the literally, melt in your mouth pulled pork, or the extremely tender brisket. Did I mention that they were both awesome.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I've been here three times and was satisfied with the ribs. They fall off the bone and are thick (plenty meet between the bones). If you like a wet/dry rib, eat, drink and be merry. Well, this may be because the owners are former barbeque champions, and they know their ribs. The sides and the cornbread was not too great, but the meat will hit the spot. I dare you to try it, you will be going back everyday. It will fill you up on those lonely hotel nights.

1  Thank Hazel007_12