Review of Lady Bugg Bakery

Ranked #1 of 4 Dessert in Hernando
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Soups
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout
Description: Lady Bugg is a family run bakery and restaurant. Everything is made from scratch every day using the best ingredients available. We use locally grown produce and eggs and change our menu seasonally. We are a Project Green Fork establishment and use only recycled and environment friendly products.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I typically write a review as soon as I dine in an establishment, but for some reason I never got around to it with Ladybugg. I think part of the reason is my first taste was in our tattoo shop. The ladies came out to support Joe Stamp after his motorcycle accident and were selling baked goods in the shop. After trying the coconut basil macaroon, I was hooked. After a bit of procrastination, my favorite dining companion and I finally made it to the actual bakery in Hernando. It was both a great idea, and a horrible idea. I love the shop, the ladies (and the bread man) and the food. It's gotten to the point that my Saturday doesn't feel complete without a visit. So on to the reason we're all here: the food. I'll start with lunch. We've sampled every sandwich on the menu, as well as the chicken caesar wrap. I can happily report that they are all excellent. The breads are chosen to complement the flavors of the sandwich ingredients, which is a nice change from "white or wheat". My personal favorite is the BLT. The bacon is thick and meaty, and the pesto mayo really sets off the veggies in this sandwich. I'd put it up against any BLT in the Memphis Metro. I'm also partial to the Chipotle Pimento Cheese. It is phenomenal. That said, a whole sandwich is a bit salty for my taste and I would have trouble finishing one alone. The great thing about my trusty dining sidekick is that she likes the BLT as much as I do, so we typically get one of each and split them. The egg and olive is very well executed, and the kalamata olive bread gives it just a little bit of an extra kick. The kids love the basic turkey and cheese sandwich (without cheese for one of our miniature adult diners), and I am fond of the herbed cream cheese. The last two sandwiches are the ham and swiss and the chicken salad. Both are pretty basic sandwiches, but perfect for those who want some good, solid comfort food. I do wish the chicken salad had a bit more character, because while it is quite good, it is a bit tame. We've not sampled the quiche yet, but it is in the plans.

Now, on to the best bits: cupcakes, macaroons and lemon bars. I love the Salted Caramel and the Not A Hostess. The cupcakes themselves are always moist, and while I'm not sure the secret, their frosting is some of the best I've had in the Memphis Metro. It's not piled on 9" high, nor is it so sweet that your pancreas jumps through your abdomenal wall and runs screaming in to the night. It's just right for my taste. We recently tried the fruit tarts as well, and they were amazing. Again, a perfect balance of sweetness and the fresh fruit was well chosen. The peaches....oh the peaches. There is a slight difference of opinion when it comes to the last two items we've tried consistently. My beautiful dining companion loves the lemon bars. They are tart, but not overpowering. The crust is firm and the flavors complement the lemony goodness of the filling. And I admit, they are good. However, I find the coconut basil macaroons to be a tiny bit better. They are moist, flavorful and chock full of basil. I ordered a half dozen recently and had to restrain myself from devouring them all. The plan coconut macaroons are just as delicious, but my heart belongs to the basil. Needless to say, we love Ladybugg Bakery and we dine there relatively often. If you are in the area, I would say they are a "must" for lunch or dessert.

• Visited July 2013

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Visited July 2013
Hernando, Mississippi
“Great treat...”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This place has quite a variety of baked goods which makes it perfect for a person who loves options. Honestly, you walk out with more than you went for because it all looks so good. As an added bonus, they take credit/debit cards while most places like this do not.

2 Thank bdeternv