“Nice place for lunch - but nothing special”

Crescent City Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Crescent City Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 266 Restaurants in Hattiesburg
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Went there with my wife on our way from Louisiana to Alabama. Arrived at opening, quick service, nice ambiance, but a little dark for lunchtime. Seem to be full of office-types. One very loud man was pitching his IT system to a couple of businessmen - and yes, we heard every word. My wife ordered shrimp and grits and I ordered the fried oyster po'boy. Service was fast, but the food was nothing special, about the usual for Cajun-oriented fare. Maybe they wind things up in the evening for the dinner crowd and get fancier.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Two co-workers and I tried this. They really liked it but I didn't think the gumbo was very good. I expected much more for a creole restaurant this close to New Orleans. The people with me really enjoyed their desserts though!

Reviewed October 8, 2013

The food was great. Being there several times with my gf. We both have great time and love this place.

1  Thank XIAOLE C
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

We were referred by several people to try this place and thought, well heck, it's ranked #4... How bad could it be?
Pretty bad. The crab wontons were awful! How can you mess up fresh crab and cream cheese? Apparently pretty easily. The shrimp and grits were nothing special and the only thing I could taste was spice. My fiancé got the Basin Street Chicken. Now I know you can't mess up a chicken breast covered with cheese. It was good and frankly, I ate more of his than my own.
I would absolutely not go here again or recommend it to anyone.

1  Thank artsyali
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The Crescent City Grill is probably the best local informal/family restaurant in this part of the state. It is owned and operated by the people who do the exceptional (and adjacent) Purple Parrot Cafe. The inventive menu, largely based on seafood, follows "New Orleans" style preparations more-or-less (which is not at all like traditional Mississippi cooking). Specials are offered nightly and seasonally. The food is sophisticated, predictably tasty, with full portions. There is a beer and wine menu. The friendly and professional staffers make everything work; even during crowded nights, service is swift. Crescent City is always full of locals and always good.