“low average”

Ranked #28 of 33 Hotels in Hattiesburg
marietta GA
“low average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

pretty low standards here.
I got to see two rooms and both had torn seams in the carpet.

Had to wait for check-in at 3:45 in the afternoon.
Got to room just as maid left and my key would not work so she let me in.
Left and came back that night and got new key at desk - go to room and it wont unlock.
turns out battery dead on door lock now. had to wait for master key to unlock the door lock then was moved to last room they had.
It was a non smoking room that reeked of smoke so bad that i called to teh desk to make sure that i would not be assessed a cleaning fee for smoking in the room.

the whole time the staff was very nice and apologetic but it was still a hassle. the desk person even offered to discount my rate, but i paid through priceline so he could not make any adjustments.

Otherwise the hotel is ok for 1.5- 2 stars. shows lots of wear and is a typical motor court design with sliding glass doors onto patios or balconies.

pool area was clean
wifi signal was ok in my room - not the fastest, but it never kicked me off either
fridge in room

breakfast beeter than that star level - waffles, cereals, boiled eggs, hot biscuits and gravy, breads, yogurt, etc...

Bottom line - so long as you go and dont expect teh amenities of a higher star property, you wont be dissapointed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

We use La Quinta often in other cities and have been pleased, especially for quick, passing through visits. This is, by far, the worst I've ever seen, but I was still thinking it's ok for "just passing through." I woke up at 12 am to find several bugs all over my bed and was absolutely disgusted (and I'm sorry to disgust you to in reading this), but I used the sheet to squish them and they were filled with blood! So I'm guessing my daughter and I will have red marks tomorrow!!! DONT STAY HERE!!! The manager has been very polite in trying to move us, but comped room or not, I don't want to stay here tonight.

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Heidi L
Hot Springs, AR, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

No Wi-fi, smells, needs renovation and you can hear everything in the hallway while in your room. BUT, its no worse than any other motel in Hattiesburg, MS. Can't figure out why this motel has not been renovated. They would clean up the business in this town of old, out dated motels that have seen better days. The breakfast was nice, the front desk area was clean and presentable, but the rooms and hallways were another story. Big disappointment.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Robert H
Del Rio, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

Observations in guest room: Coffee maker cannot be plugged where it sits on top of refrig. The obvious location is on the bathroom counter which is not safe being next to sink. No bathroom fan. Tub has black mold in caulking. Metal mount on wall above sink for apparently a hair drier but mount indicates DO NOT place near a sink. Mount should be removed since there is not an appliance mounted on it. Bed blanket is way too short and narrow for the bed. Room has a dirty smell. Breakfast was very poor - very hard biscuits, no OJ or apple juice, only grape juice in dispenser, and trash overflowing from can. Little choice of breakfast items. Front desk clerk very friendly at check out but did nothing about breakfast conditions. This property DOES NOT deserve being a La Quinta. Only stayed here because it allows pets. Will never return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Lakeranger
Dallas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

Disgusting...no Internet...breakfast was a joke...very old facility that needs to be torn down. La Quinta should be ashamed to have their name on this property. The room was filthy. Bugs in bed, terrible odor, rust came out of faucet in bathtub when we turned it on. To open the door, we had to lift up on it and hold it at a certain angle. I was very disappointed in this property. We were on our to Florida and just wanted to stop for the night for rest and a shower. This was not restful and I certainly didn't feel clean. Couldn't wait to get up and out of there.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank Stacee H
Alton, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

This place is horrible. As soon as you walk in, the chairs are stained and disgusted. The lobby restrooms look like they have been neglected for more than a week. When walking up to our room (on level 2) the stairs are stained along with the carpet. Walking into our room it smelled, the pillows are STAINED, shower is cold (and barley worked the spout is about to come out of the wall) everything is very outdated, the WiFi doesn't work, and overall appearance is absolutely horrible. If I was you, I would take your money elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank ashleydunham2
Missy W, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Hattiesburg, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear ashleydunham2,

Thank you for taking your time to speak with me in regards to your recent stay at the Hattiesburg La Quinta Inn. As I had mentioned to you on our phone call, I sincerely apologize for your recent discomforting stay. I wish that we were able to provide you and your family with an above average stay, one that was memorable for you and your family. These inconveniences that you experienced will not go unnoticed. We will be doing what we can to improve on the items that you suggested needed work in the room, definitely for safety issues. By no means will this carelessness continue to take precedence in our property's operation. Believe me when I say that your satisfaction is of great importance and that we will be using your feedback to make improvements to ensure we can offer an exceptional experience for you and our guests in the future. With that said, I hope that someday we will be able to redeem ourselves in your eyes and make it right. Please do not lose faith in us during the process of making sure these issues do not occur in the future.

With deepest respect,

Missy Watson
Odenville, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

The picture on the website is outdated. It might have looked like that 20 years ago. When we checked in we were instructed where the room was located. When we arrived to the room though the smell of mold we opened the door to find the smell, while still present, was not as bad. I called ahead and asked if they had a gym. Yes was the answer but no was the real answer. Paint pealing and coming off the wall along with rust that they have tried for years to cover up. The gym had 3 pieces of equipment 1 treadmill, 1 bike and a broken Bowflex. Looks like they bought all 3 from a yard sale 10 years ago. Bathroom floor was not swept and the hair from the last 5 occupants was noticeable. I hope someone from LQ reads posts!

Room Tip: Don't say here even if they are cheaper than the rest!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Big_Spicy
Dear Big_Spicy,

I would like to thank you for taking the time out of your day to provide us with an honest and sincere review regarding your experience with us here at the La Quinta Inn of Hattiesburg. With that said, I wanted to personally apologize to you for the lack of update found at our property. We are slowly but surely making renovations that will hopefully have our guests more satisfied with their future stays. I also apologize to you about your room accommodations. I have shared your comments with our hotel management over housekeeping and maintenance department to make the necessary improvements for us to be able to give you a better stay in the future. Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide your thoughts and concerns about your recent stay with us. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Missy Watson