“Rip off”

Holiday Inn & Suites Hattiesburg
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Hattiesburg
“Rip off”
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

On vacation with my in-laws. We stopped to see about a room for the night. We were told that we had to put down an extra $50 deposit if we paid cash for the room. The night clerk said that when we left they would check the room for any damages then if no damages we would get our deposit back - well now we know they are not going to check our room until we are checked out and gone. Plus that night clerk would be gone when we checked out. I am writing to holiday inn to complain about this!!'

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob P, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Hattiesburg, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Kerri H,

Thank you for taking the time to provide input on your recent experience with us at the Holiday Inn Hattiesburg. We appreciate all guest feedback, positive and negative, as it is an intricate part of improving our operations.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience you encountered during your recent visit to Hattiesburg. The policy of collecting a deposit from cash paying guests was implemented by previous management, as a way to protect the hotel against incidental damages and also give the guest the privilege of charging room service and breakfast to their room. If not used the deposit would be returned to the guest at check-out.

At Holiday Inn Hattiesburg, we value guest satisfaction in the highest degree and have taken this opportunity to review and revise our policy regarding the cash deposit.

Thank you again for bringing this problem to our attention. We appreciate your input and hope to have another chance to serve you in the future.

Bob Patel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Lauderdale, Mississippi
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed here for a nearby local event and didn't want to make trip back. Bad decision.

First of th good things: Check-in was easy and young man at front was friendly and courtious. Room service from attached restaurant was pricey but good and prompt. Had a nice pool (Water was too cold for my comfort thou.) and exercise room equipment was in decent shape. Internet connection was good. Shower fixture had interesting ?massage? sprayers I really wanted to check out (More on this later.)

Bad things: Beds meant for chipmunks, not humans (Starting to be a trend I've noticed.) Suite would be called a standard room at most other hotels. Thermostat on wall was for decoration (Controls were actually on unit itself.) Only one set of towels when we first came into room. Bathroom only had a shower not a bathtub. (Not a big deal for me on a overnight stay but wife prefers on an extended stay.)

The 500 lb rabid gorilla in the same room as you kind of bad: While I was about to take a nice hot shower, I reached in and twisted the knob to turn it on and had it come off in my hand. Once I managed to get it back on, it kept falling off whenever you took a step. Later, my youngest daughter (8 year old) took her turn and had the shower door fall on her while she was in it. Afterwards, we looked and noticed where previous repairs were made to bathroom before in a half hearted attempt.

Room Tip: "I've been in Micro-tels with bigger rooms!"
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Hattiesburg, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear thunderguppy,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to note your positive feedback on our friendly and courteous front office staff, room service, internet connection, pool and fitness facility. Our hotel is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. It is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. However, it sounds like we fell short of your expectations with regard to the conditions of your room. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and please be assured that this issue on room or bathroom maintenance will be addressed. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Lera P
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed November 23, 2013

The property grounds, lobby, and hallways are very nice and up-to-date. The room I stayed in was very dated, needing new furniture, paint, and carpet. This was a much quieter stay than the hotel next door. I'd stay here again, but hopefully, the management will take it upon themselves to invest in a renovation soon.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear nawlinsdiner,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel and appreciate your compliments regarding our lobby and hallways nice and up to date. On the other hand, I am sorry for the shortfalls you have encountered. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.
Deep South
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We didn't realize it was not a HI Express ... thus no free breakfast. That was our fault, not HI's. Not a big deal, except when we were a group of six and on a budget. Still, the hotel was nice (lobby a bit gaudy) and the front desk, as mentioned by others, was efficient and friendly. We had very spotty WiFi reception. I left my third-floor room and went to the lobby with laptop, but it wasn't much better there. That was disappointing since we all really needed to do some work. Our rooms were all very nice and we didn't have any problems. We didn't try the restaurant.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Bob P, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Hattiesburg, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Tupelodan,

I would like to thank you for taking the time out of your day to write a review about your experience with us here at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites.

We are happy to hear that despite the Wi-Fi issues that you experienced that our rooms accommodated you and your group's needs sufficiently. I can assure you that we will use your feedback to implement positive changes within our property for, hopefully, your next visit and our future guests.

With that said, I would like to invite you to stay with us again, so that you can have the chance to try our breakfast at a very reasonable inclusive rate.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to provide us with a review and the team and I look forward to better accommodating you and your team on your next visit to Hattiesburg.

Many Thanks!
Sincerely
Moselle, Mississippi
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed at this hotel about a year ago and didn't have a great experience. Everyone can have a bad day, so when I found myself needing to stay in Hattiesburg again, I thought we could give them another try. Well, needless to say, not much has gotten better. At check-in the front desk was very friendly and efficient, but that's about the only positive comment. When we got to the room one of the bedside lights wouldn't come on so I pulled the nightstand away from the wall to check the plug. Sure enough, it was unplugged. How do you clean a room with lights that don't work. It was obvious from the appearance of the back side of the nightstand that they can't clean one with the lights off. There was trash all over the floor behind the nightstand. I didn't bother to check the other in fear of finding the same. I went into the bathroom and found the shower curtain rod dangling from the tip of one screw. On the way out the next morning I let the front desk know about the shower. When we returned in the evening we found that maintenance had been in the room and repair the shower rod and patched the holes - no paint but I'm sure they needed to let the repair dry first - not a big deal. Later that evening when I stepped into the tub to take a shower, my feet immediately came in contact with all the drywall dust and grit and grime from them making the repair. Really??? They couldn't even clean up their mess??? Also, when we arrived on Friday evening we really didn't want to go out of the hotel for dinner so we chose to eat at the hotel's restaurant. The service that we got there should have been an indication of what was to come. The food was pretty good, so kudos to the kitchen staff, but I guess the one and only server was too busy on his cell phone and flirting with a group of girls to pay attention to what he should have been. We were virtually ignored for about the first 10 minutes we were there, and we were only 1 of 3 tables occupied. Once he finally took our order, he never came back to our table. Someone from the kitchen came out and asked us what we had ordered and then she immediately went back into the kitchen, got our food and delivered it to us. Apparently she had seen it sitting and sitting and sitting under the warmer and decided she needed to try to come to the rescue. It took us almost an hour from start to finish for just 2 hamburgers. During all this, the "server" never came to see if we needed anything other than to bring us our check. Also, during this time he started bussing table, but never completely finished cleaning one. What a disaster. I may be overly critical, but, I'm in the hospitality business and this type of service and behavior would never make it with me. I think the management of this place needs to start managing and some heads need to role. I gave them a 2nd chance, but, I won't be giving them a 3rd.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Bob P, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Hattiesburg, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Bob55197,
First and foremost, Mr. Bob let me preface by stating that my team and I would like to sincerely apologize to you and your family for our inability to provide you with a relaxing and memorable stay, not once but twice.
I am at a loss for words as to where to begin and how to go about addressing the horrific sequence of events that you experienced during your stay. There is absolutely no excuse for the inhospitable events and services that you had to endure throughout your stay here with us. I can assure you that this is not an automated response and that as the General Manager of this property I am currently in absolute distraught as well as disappointment in both myself, my team, and in the fact that you were humble and considerate enough to give us not one but two chances and we were unable to meet not only general operating expectations but your personal guest expectations; for that once again, I apologize.
These inconveniences are of great priority and they do not go unnoticed, nor will they due to the recent changes that have been presented upon this property. I would like to inform you that as of September 2013 the Holiday Inn and Suites has been undergoing a rigorous transformation process under new management and leadership in order to avoid such incidents and in turn stabilize a mentality of providing exceptional guest service in every department present on site. By no means will this carelessness continue to take precedence in our property’s operation. That is a promise I would like to make to you and your family and again I apologize that it affected you directly during your most recent stay.
Believe me when I say that your satisfaction is of great importance and that we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure that we offer an exceptional experience for you and our guests in the future.
With that said, if you could please contact our hotel, ask to speak with me, and grant me the privilege of addressing this further and making things right; I would be forever grateful.
From a Fellow Hospitality Comrade
Bob Patel
Holiday Inn and Suites Hattiesburg

Travelers are raving about these Hattiesburg hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I thought this Holiday Inn in the middle of Mississippi would be run down and dumpy, but to my surprise it seems to have gotten a really modern makeover, as it feels pretty swanky and up to date. My room was comfy and the decor was bright and cheery. No great views to speak of, but I was surprised how bright they made the room feel. The bathroom was a bit small, but I didn't mind. Front desk was super friendly, and this made a great stop on my drive to Louisiana.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jlaformab,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with such a wonderful review. Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay.
We are ecstatic and honored to know that your stay with us was a wonderful one. Our team takes pride in ensuring that the guest checks in to a well ordered room and one that feels as comfortable as possible during their entire stay.
We look forward to seeing you again in the future and we hope to make your next experience even greater.
Kind Regards,
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Our family of 4 stayed one night on our way home from vacation. Our room had a King size bed with small sleeper sofa, and kitchenette area. Bathroom was small. Overall the room was okay but needs some deep cleaning and maintenance. It just felt very worn. Bed was comfortable and tv was good. They had a nice saltwater indoor pool that my 2 year old and husband enjoyed. We did try to call the front desk for more towels after swimming but couldn't get an answer so we just made do with what we had in the room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Hattiesburg, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Lgoodman03,