“The grossest hotel ever. Yuk!” 1 of 5 stars

Western Motel
Western Motel
Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Hattiesburg
Austin, Texas
“The grossest hotel ever. Yuk!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Most of the hotels in Hattiesburg were full so I ended up at the Western Hotel. It should be re-named to the "King Roach". Not only was my room filthy there were two roaches in the bathtub. Did I mention the tub was never cleaned and there were hairs everywhere? My bedding had holes in the sheets and the red carpet looked brown. Clearly it had never been cleaned so I never took off my shoes. Portions of the sheetrock were water damaged and mold was everywhere. The bed was beyond terrible with a cheap cover placed over an old bed. You may as well sleep in your car. This place is the worst of the worst. Ewwwwww.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank William B

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I'm am not a picky person but this was terrible. We needed two adjoining rooms and we didn't arrive until 11:30 pm ( after driving over nine hours with four teenagers ) or we would have went somewhere else. One room seemed ok but the adjoining room had a shop vac I'm the floor and the carpet was wet. The tub and sink both had used soap in them. One towel only and one bed had black hair in it. I could not sleep because it felt dirty. I pulled off the comforter and covered up with a sheet I had with me.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Rapidairplanes

Travelers are raving about these Hattiesburg hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

The man was very nice when I called to check availability. It was very late and most hotels were booked. When we walked into the room we put our daughter in bed. When I walked to the sink there were 5 large roaches on the countertop. When my husband picked my daughter up, another one fell out of the bed! I would rather sleep in my car!

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank Ennisad
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

The Western Motel is an older motel offering connecting rooms, with very reasonable rates for Hattiesburg, where hotels / motels are overpriced for what you get. The rooms are furnished "old-style", and they look old, but they are clean, reasonably comfortable and quiet. Free wifi and a fridge in each room. Convenient to USM and Hardy Street.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank jamish2007
Charlottesville, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

I am a connoisseur of cheap motels, though I have enjoyed my share of higher-end resorts and hotels as well. I gave this place 4 stars within the genre of cheap roadside motels -- stacked up directly against any Hilton it would be blown away. But for the money, given the other prices in the area, the Western is all right.

First I hit the Super 8 figuring on a nice easy $45 deal like I usually find in little southern towns. Wrong. They wanted over $70 for the night so I kept driving. This proved to be a pretty typical price. Then I tried the Western out of desperation. I paid $49, including all taxes. This place is actually very clean and well-maintained. Ok, there is an electrical outlet hanging out of the wall with wires everywhere and looking like a major fire code violation. But the place is actually very comfortable and much less sterile and prison-like than the big chain cheap-o motels tend to be (I'm looking at you, Motel 6!)

The neighborhood was hard to get a sense of in the dark. It feels pretty safe. There are convenience stores a few blocks away. The free wifi is pretty fast. I'm happy and I'll likely stay here again if I find myself passing through Hattiesburg again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank Steamrabbit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

This independent inn is very nice. location is great, plenty of good food around, and quite. The staff was very friendly and made us feel very comfortable and welcome. Will definatly stay again. Pricing was wonderful for the area.

• Stayed November 2010
2 Thank Marrissa222
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

We had passed this independent-style motel many times on Hardy Street on our many trips to Hattiesburg since it was very close to the university. We wondered about it, but continued to stay in a "brand name" hotel or motel for years There were no TripAdvisor reviews, and no website to give more information on the motel.

Finally, the kids got big enough that cramming everyone into one room became a chore. Called the Western Motel and found that they did offer connecting rooms, with very reasonable rates that put two rooms within our price ceiling. The rooms are furnished "old-style", but were clean, comfortable and quiet and had the plusses of free wifi and a fridge in each room, along with a internal connecting door. Access to all the businesses of Hardy Street is easy. Pizza coupons in the lobby were handy. Definitely would stay here again if we travel to Hattiesburg and need two rooms.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family