“The experience was great...the food average”

Leatha's Bar-B-Que Inn
Ranked #4 of 267 Restaurants in Hattiesburg
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed April 30, 2013

The place itself and the staff was a great experience. As others have noted it's a funky place that makes you feel at home. There were six of us. two had the pulled pork, two the ribs, and two the chicken. The quantities were generous, but not inexpensive. I had the pulled pork which had very little taste without the sauce. The baked beans were runny, and WAY to sweet ! The potato salad was pretty good. The wife's chicken had some smoked taste, but pretty dry. I know everyone has their own idea of great BBQ, but this was all about the sauce which was also too sweet. But, the ribs were outstanding. Very meaty and didn't need any sauce. No alcohol, but the root beer was nice and cold.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

I've been wanting to try Leatha's for several years now, and finally went when we were visiting family in March. I've heard so many great things about it, but was disappointed with the pulled pork.

Service was great, it was a decent price, and the sides were good. Next time, I will definitely try ribs. The pulled pork was really mushy and had a lot of grease on it.

Overall, it was average because of the pulled pork. Everything else was excellent.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

As a traveling Yankee, Leatha's Bar-B-Que Inn defined for me the quintessential Southern barbecue experience. The barbecued ribs were the best I've ever eaten. The side orders of potato salad and baked beans were similarly excellent. The quality and warmth of service made my wife and I feel like members of the family. Our waitress served a party of 8 sitting next to us and was able to remember everyone's order without taking notes! Leatha's is an old African American establishment housed in a delightfully funky old building with many family mementos and photos of famous satisfied customers hung on the walls. If you're passing through Hattiesburg don't miss out on this close to perfect and affordable dining experience.

1  Thank Frank N
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was traveling through Hattiesburg, MS last week and ate dinner at Leatha's. I read about the restaurant on Trip Advisor, but it was also recommended by friends who live there. Our group tried all of the meats and sides and each was good. The service is over the top with friendly wait staff who were attentive but not intrusive. The highlight of the meal were the ribs. They were done perfectly and came right off the bone with each bite. The sauce was sweet and reminded me more of a Kansas City style sauce than other sauces found in the South. The ambiance is typical of a good BBQ joint with wood floors, folding chairs,pictures of celebrities and family on the walls and the smell of good BBQ. I will go back the next time I am in town and my meal will be the ribs, potato salad and baked beans with unsweet tea!

3  Thank edfrey55
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

I wanted to eat something local and not a chain. This place was rated #1 in Hattiesburg. I tried the pull pork, beans and fries. It was ok, but not something I would come back for. In addition, I thought it was a bit pricey, what I got was the cheapest thing on the menu. With a $2.00 sweet tea, my meal was right at $15.00.

I got plenty if food and the service was decent and polite.

Maybe I had my expectations too high, based on reviews. Not on my wish to return to list.