“Get off the beaten path and go to Leatha's.”

Leatha's Bar-B-Que Inn
Ranked #4 of 267 Restaurants in Hattiesburg
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Leatha's sits back off the road so it's a little hard to find. Look for the red and white sign. If you're looking for a local place with great barbecue, this is it. Great pulled pork, slaw and baked beans. We were there on a weekday around noon and the place was busy with both people dining in and takeouts. Leatha's is the type of place the south is famous for.

Reviewed September 29, 2011

We were in route home to Atlanta from New Orleans after a long summer vacation road trip. It had been the most anticipated part of our vacation plans ever since seeing this place on The Food Networks show 'Best thing I ever Ate'. BBQ in my opinion is sacred... I mean like I think you should be licensed to have a grill or some sort of credentials to be able to handle such a delicious animal. It should literally be a sin to mishandle a prized meat such as pork ribs and should be punishable by a 24 hour soaking in cayenne pepper BBQ sauce!!! I'm serious folks, don't mess up a good pig!!!

Leatha's clearly understands this because they have developed a BBQ so glorious that heavenly 'Aaaaaaaaaahhhhh' sound wafts out when you open the doors to this humble establishment. Greeted by Leatha's grand daughter, you are instantly made to feel like family. She talks to you like you've been her favorite customer for years and really genuinely seems to enjoy your company. THAT was a totally refreshing experience as compared to many restaurants today. The menu is simple: Beef or pork ribs, BBQ Chicken, a few sides, pecan pie for desert and a perfectly mixed sweet tea.

It wasn't very long after ordering that I got my plate of this Oh So Amazing BBQ. HAVE YOU EVER tasted something that made you want to sing, and dance like a ballerina around the room... well I did!!! Leatha's grand daughter said it happens all to often, but I don't think the poor table sitting next to us had ever witnessed such a sight!!! No matter, I was happy to entertain because this food gave me that happy feeling that makes you wanna share it with people.

I finished inhaling my entire order and couldn't leave without taking four more order to go so my friends back home could witness this taste for themselves. Unfortunately, somewhere between getting those orders and arriving home the selfish bug bit me and I kept them all to myself (shameful I know)!!! The taste is beyond description, and is worth the drive, Airplane, Greyhound, Amtrak, donkey or whatever means of transportation you can find to arrive at Leatha's front steps. When you go, give her grand daughter a big ole kiss and hug for me, rub her cheeks, look tenderly into her eyes and tell her "I'll be back soon!!!" LOL

Reviewed September 16, 2011

Great food and fun atmopshere. Service is slow but it's worth it. Those taking your order have unique memory methods and will make sure you laugh and smile throughout your experience. Get the ribs....the meat slides off the bone.

Reviewed September 9, 2011

I read about this place in a magazine a while back but since I live in Mobile I don't eat in Hattiesburg that often. My husband and I were coming through and we had to find this place. It is a bit hidden. Hubby said it was the best ribs he's every had! And thats saying a lot! My pulled pork was super tender too.... Not a dry end on the plate. Sauce was just right. I would recommend to everyone!

Reviewed August 10, 2011

Whenever I am craving BBQ, Leatha's is my go-to place. The house where they serve their food is old but has a rustic charm and the workers there are the epitome of true southern hospitality. They rememeber your order, no matter how big your party, without a pen and pad. I also LOVE the sweet tea...some of the best I have ever tasted. Their pecan pie is also delicous! :) I highly recommend!!