“Nice facility but noisy when lots of kids there”

Residence Inn Hattiesburg
Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Hattiesburg
Reviewed November 15, 2009

I had military training at nearby Camp Shelby... I had late nights so I needed my rest. Unfortunately, regional little league games were nearby so the hotel was full of families and kids... one whole side of the hotel (outside) borders the pool, outdoor basketball court, and mini tennis courts... needless to say, I had balls bouncing off my window, kids screaming all night long, and a front desk that did nothing about it... even though the signs said the pool area closed at 10. And the parents of the kids let their children scream all night long... they ran up and down the stairs inside and slammed doors all night. As a parent of small boys myself i can understand the kid's exuberance, but come one, the parents have to have some control! Again, I think the desk staff should have done a better job of talking to the parents and upheld the 10pm pool closing time.

After the 3rd night of this I switched rooms to the quieter side of the hotel. Why didn't I do this sooner, you ask? Well, for one, I hoped the staff would be able to control it better. Also, I had 2 weeks worth of food in the cabinets and fridge, had two weeks of uniforms and civilian clothes in the drawers and closet, and had all my gear spread out and set up in the room. Lots of trouble to move it all to another room. But I finally had to give in!

Other notes, breakfasts was OK... good assortment of restaurants and a starbucks very close by. Not too far from Camp Shelby (15-20 min depending on the gate you enter). For walkers or runners, a greenway or converted rail trail is close by, I ran on it from the hotel each day.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business