WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Courtyard Gulfport Beachfront

Courtyard Gulfport Beachfront
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Gulfport
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Clean rooms, AMAZING FOOD and excellent service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I would give this hotel 4.5 stars if I could.

From the time I walked into this hotel, I was greeted with friendly faces and a very professional staff. Service at the front desk (Michelle) was top notch. She also suggested their lunch buffet which was Southern cooking at its finest.

The room itself was good. Besides the slow Internet, I had no issues...

All in all I would recommend this hotel for its location, service, and cleanliness. I am likely to return the next time I am in the Gulfport area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

There were many positives about his Courtyard and just as many negatives. The staff is very nice and accommodating of your questions. The place is generally pretty clean and the location is good. The access to the hotel from the road is little different than what I am accustom to, however, it's easy to figure out. You will find the normal ammenities of a Courtyard here.

Breakfast is offered and there is a discount for being an Elite Member, but I think it's still kind of expensive for what you get. I found the internet to be slow and unresponsive. I mentioned this at check out and the clerk asked me what internet site I was using. Apparently there are 2, but I knew nothing of that information for my 3 day stay.

The television listing has lots of channels, but not all are available. In fact, on my last morning, there wasn't any TV offered in the rooms. When I get up at 6:00, I like to catch up on the news and there was nothing on. I had previously complained about not getting all the channels, and the front desk knew that was an issue, but didn't really offer any solution. I had a difficult time deciding on the rating, so I chose right in the middle. Lastly, the train did roar by frequently, and I could hear it go by.

The hotel has positives and negatives. Bring your own wi fi card and a Sling Box and you should be fine.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 678855
Providence RI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

We were very excited when we checked into the Courtyard in Gulfport. I was in the area on business for a few weeks and as a Marriott Gold member figured I might get some perks. No so much. Because of my long stay I didn't even qualify for an upgrade to a room with an ocean view. That was not really expected but since the place was pretty empty it would have been nice considering the investment I made in staying there long term.

First thing I noticed was that the "high speed" internet that was promoted many times about this location was worse than internet I had from McMurdo Station in Antarctica... Seriously. You may be able to check your email but forget about streaming movies after 5pm. Their connection gets flooded. The signal is weak in the middle of the building so try to be near the elevators to have the best shot at getting a good signal.

The pool and hot tub area are very nice and seem to be open year round. The pool is not heated but in January it was just warm enough to do a couple laps before hypothermia set in. The hot tub is a little ghetto with some jets that were not working but overall it was passable. There was however quite a bit of sand at the bottom which leads me to be believe that it was not cleaned all that often.

The gym was about the best part of the whole hotel. Very nice with a couple treadmills, eliptical and bikes with a set up dumbbells up to 50# and a smith rack (needs oil but I may spring for some just to get it working right) and a good cable machine. I was able to do just about everything I needed, another set of 5 and 10# plates for the smith rack would be nice. Really give them high marks on the gym. One of the best hotel gyms I have ever seen.

They do have a bar and a kitchen. the staff is very friendly, Mark at the bar is a great guy and is a good source of local knowledge. The breakfast is either 7, 9 or 10$ and is about equal to free hot breakfasts at other Marriott locations. They have an egg station but it gets old after a few days. They have a waffle machine and a few other hot sides but they are really nothing to write home about. There are about a million Waffle Houses around and that may be a better option. Nice to have if you are in a pinch but not really worth the money. They do have dinner which they try at but really ends up being marginal at best. Not sure if they just get the Sysco Institutional level food or what but the steak was kinda gross and the burger was that industrial brick type served on a stale onion roll.

The rooms are newer and nice, the drains don't work. This is common in a few rooms associates had so it is a common issue. On a few occasions rooms didn't get cleaned, not a big deal in my book but just something to note.

There is a train that goes by about every 2 hours every night and likes to use the horn for about 2 minutes. It is loud and if you don't have the AC on it will wake most people up. I always get woken by the 0420 train, I think it may just be a Gulfport thing.

The people really make the place work. They staff is very attentive and I think that they must have some tight bottom lines to meet. Not sure there are much better options in the area, maybe the Casinos. I would recommend the place if they fixed a few of my little gripes. I am pretty picky so take the comments with a grain of salt, everyone else seems to love this place.

Room Tip: elevators are slow go first or second floor, go sea side if you can lower train noise, get a room ne...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank cleaniedini
Flora, MS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Very comfortable place on Hwy 90 on the beach. The lobby is large and a fun place to hang out. Ate a salad for dinner with wine upon arrival and it was good. Mellow scene. Highly recommend. Room clean and pleasant.

• Stayed February 2012
Georgetown
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Completely refurbished. Beach is directly in front. Fabulous sunrise and sunset. Breakfast was very good and not expensive. Watch the video loop on Katrina...I couldn't look away. Everyone at the front desk was helpful and friendly. Excellent value!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carla W
Arroyo Grande, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is an older hotel that has been completely refurbished so the furnishings were in good shape and the hotel and rooms were very clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful - we arrived in the late afternoon and the reception desk gave me an ocean view without me having to ask! I wish we had more time to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linda S
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

Stayed here week after Thanksgiving to run away from busy life, relax and visit family along the coast. The staff was friendly and very helptful. Property clean and renewed. The cable channel had a video loop filmed by a news crew held up in th eprotery during Hurricane Katrina. SImply mesmerizing, which i could buy a copy.

The breakfast bar was reasonable, food was ok. Omlet bar was tastly and the rest was typical hotel breakfast bar. Would welcome the new Courtyard restaurant of items cooked to order with cofffee bar. The bar was open in afternoon and eveings, wine by th ebottle was very reasonable. As a Marriott status holder, i had a nice upgrade to a suite. the room was not ocena front, but very spacious for my sister and i visiting and having guests stop by.

The location is close to a lots of restaurant - a few walking distance. The ocean is steps away for walks on the beach and local neighborhoods behind the property. The locations is just far enough from the casino areas but clos eenough to the heart of Gulfport.

The staff was always helpful. We chatted frequently with staff members trying to get caught up with the news of rebuilding from Katrina. After 5 days here we were very comfortable. Business travelers were come sights.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank VA-Shoes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulfport
Wingate by Wyndham Gulfport
Hampton Inn & Suites Gulfport
Holiday Inn Express Long Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Gulfport Airport
Island View Casino Resort
Island View Casino Resort
#8 of 28 in Gulfport
Home2 Suites by Hilton Gulfport I-10

Been to Courtyard Gulfport Beachfront? Share your experiences!