“Gotta Respect Service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 28 Hotels in Gulfport
Malvern, Ohio
“Gotta Respect Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2012

I was a guest here for 4 days. I noticed they were working on some of the rooms. They were very direct and honest about this. The desk area was very nice and open and as a plus they had a rental car agency right in the lobby.
I think the location is excellent. It is directly on the Highway. Nearby you have a Super WalMart and a gas station. The beach is a casual walk away straight down the street. I preferred the location over any of the others I saw in Gulfport.

The room was quiet and the furniture was more than enough for the clothes and television and writing at the table, not some small desk and a suitcase bench. The bed was large and firm.
Plenty of lights and a new carpet.

I was very satisfied. The bath and shower were large and I am so glad the bathroom, was not just a WC. I am a tall person and hate to feel exposed or cubed in.

The staff was more than generous with there time and assistance. Thank You.
I have read a few reviews that had made me worry but I was glad the reality was better for me.
I regret to say I slept through all the breakfast times.

I also had a couple pets. They were treated well also and very comfortably recieved. I liked how they were not just considered luggage when I was there. You have to love your pets if you travel with them and it is always nice to see them accepted.

Room Tip: Always ask when you request a room if it is ground or another floor. Many people forget and end up m...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank HWH_2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

I travel a lot due to business but I love staying at Ramada in Gulfport people goes above and beyond...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Austin, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

Pros: Near I-10, the airport, Wal-Mart, restaurants, shopping (walking distance no car needed), large facilities for conferences, microwave and fridge, easy access to parking. If you can find staff, they will work with you to have a pleasant stay. Facilities for large conferences. Great for people who have pets. Lots of easy access to first floor rooms. (Be sure to say hello to the Waffle House night shift and leave them some good tips. As of this writing, they remember southern hospitality.)

Cons: After midnight, no staff on duty (what they say and what they DO is not the same.)
Small rooms, double beds are small,
Some rooms-- remodeling jobs are not good-- hastily done without touchups, stained
carpeting.
Black mold in ceiling of at least one bathroom (I have photos)

Cost: $73 with tax

Traveler Advise: I am a Road Warrior. I stay in a lot of hotels. I travel a lot. I've stayed in some terrible places and this was not my worst hotel stay but certainly was unusual and one of the worst rooms I've stumbled across in many years of travel. Get there early to inspect your room. Ask for help early before the night staff leaves. I have this facility a "poor" rating and was saddened to do so because I could see they were trying to upgrade this facility and it will hopefully be great when they finish. Get a good room then tell us about it on TripAdvisor :-)

Maybe Gulfport has been left behind in this new age of technology. The Internet is a powerful tool. Travelers now have a voice because of sites like TripAdvisor.

This Ramada has been updated with fresh paint and furnishings. We had a poor stay but I will write this review for other travelers so they can have a better stay. I booked using Hotwire and as always I read the reviews on TripAdvisor. I NEVER travel without reading TripAdvisor first...well one time I did not follow my rule and had a terrible stay. This time I read the traveler reviews and found them helpful.

We arrived after 11pm at night and a room was ready for us. Because one of my party was unable to walk far (we were on our way to the Mayo Clinic in Florida) we were given a different room. I do not now what the first room looked like.

The second room was a remodeled room that had a bad paint job, hard beds, rusted refrigerator on the outside and mold on the inside. Mold on the bathroom ceiling. A musty smell. Large stains on the carpet. A dusty air conditioning unit.

We turned on the air conditioner hoping the air would clear the musty smell. As in many older hotels the fan was loud. I left to get food at a 24 hour food place. When I returned I discovered that as time passed the fan became louder and louder then began making a sound like a tornado siren in the distance about ever 15 minutes. It was clear that no one was going to get sleep that night because the air conditioner acted as an alarm clock snooze button. The only option was to turn off the air conditioner then deal with the musty smell. I called the front desk to see if we could change rooms. No answer.

I went to the front desk which was in another building. No desk clerk. I rang the large gong they use as a bell. No clerk. After waiting a while for the clerk, I almost called the police for worry maybe something bad had happened to the clerk. I did not see any blood so I assumed the clerk was maybe taking care of another guest's problem.

I returned to my room and started feeling sick and sneezing. I called Hotwire. Hotwire also called the front desk. No answer. Hotwire tried the call again. No answer. There was no emergency number for Hotwire to contact hotel management. Because we could not sleep, we chose to keep driving for the rest of our 1,000 mile trip to the Mayo Clinic. Time had passed and by this time morning was near. Hotwire staff promised that our hotel fee would be reversed in a few days and we would be given points for our next trip as I have used Hotwire for years without a complaint. I am a true road warrior, so if I had to leave a hotel, something was truly wrong.

Other reviewers had a great stay at this Ramada and I believe their reviews. When you travel with children or people who are sick, you need sleep so your body can rest then you can have the energy to keep your party encouraged the rest of your trip.

I did not have a good experience at this Ramada. I typically do not stay at Ramada because they are unpredictable. Maybe I might possibly stay at a brand new Ramada, but not the old ones. I cannot tell you to avoid this Ramada because that would be unfair to travelers who might get a great room.

I advise traverlers to try to get to the hotel early enough to actually see the room. Those with mold allergies would be wise to ask for another room if the room smells musty or stale. I am very allergic to black mold so I believe the absence of the clerk may have saved me from an allergic reaction. Had I not been so tired, I would have asked for another room immediately instead of trying to make the room work for me.

If I had children, I would not want them there in that room number 123. People who don't care about cleanliness would probably love the same room and the noise from the fan would cover other noises they make. If you don't like your room, immediately ask for another. Don't try to make it work. It will only get worse as the night goes on. Only use Hotwire for booking an unknown hotel in Gulfport MS if you just want a bed and don't care about comfort, allergies, noises, or cleanliness. I am glad this Ramada is updating itself. Room 123 needs a total overhaul. Get rid of everything to the bare floors. Start over. Cut out the mold.

I believe the clerk was trying to help us by keeping us closer to the parking which is a real plus for that hotel. I am not offended with the clerk-- he tried to help. Service is rated low because when I had a problem, there was no help.

Room Tip: Good for people with pets. Inspect the room first. If there is a musty smell, there is mold. If the...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank living&learnin

Travelers are raving about these Gulfport hotels

Houston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

Booked (2) rooms on 09-23-2011. Booking in advance, (and paying in advance on AARP/Expedia), I paid a total of $138.XX for both rooms. One room was fine, but the A/C controls in the other room worked poorly .... Bottom line: The one A/C ran & cooled continuously, so when it got too cold, we had to shut it off for awhile.

Room Tip: Boook & pay in advance.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

The staff was very professional...Great price for the rooms definitely I will be back...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dade V, General Manager at Ramada Gulfport, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Wish to thank you for your reply we look forward to having your back. As the new General Manager and Management Staff it is always important to keep in touch with our guest and their concerns.
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

The Ramada Gulfport has the largest conference center in Gulfport other than the casinos. The rooms have all been repainted and furniture updates are all most complete. The meeting and ballrooms have all been updated. They are also putting in new fitness equipment and a gameroom for adults and children. The pool is always clean and blue. They have a great clean guest laundry with 4 washers and dryers. The staff is great in every area. Breakfast was ok told it is getting ready to improve to keep up with the rest of the property. If you want a great stay for a great price in a very clean motel this is your place in Gulfport. They also told me to call for reservations to check prices before you book. One more thing the front desk clerk to me that they are even putting in two three room suites for families.

Room Tip: Ask at the front desk.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

I can remember when staying in Biloxi/Gulfport was cheap, but that was before the casinos came. Now, the average "nice" room is $150 or more. We didn't want to spend that much, so we checked the TA reviews and decided that this place was a reasonable compromise.

It's an older (mid-70s/early-80s?) two-story outside hall motel. We like this layout, as we prefer to park outside our door. We requested a ground-floor room and received one. It's located in the main "motel strip" of Gulfport. There must be close to a dozen within a quarter mile, so that means there are lots of restaurants, gas stations, and shops nearby. Be aware that this area is right under the approach to Gulfport-Biloxi Intl Airport. The planes come over quite low, but they stopped at a reasonable hour (10 pm?) so didn't disturb our sleep. The area seemed perfectly safe, but it's not a place you would walk much anyways.

Single king bed, fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, iron, upholstered chair, desk, task chair, smallish flatscreen tv. The bed was ok, lots of pillows provided. The lamp on the desk had power and network outlets. The toilet/bath was cramped. No soap dishes in bath(?). Lots of water pressure and hot water, not one of these wimpy save-the-earth showerheads.

The place was pretty clean for a motel of this age. There was a pretty strong smell of disinfectant when we arrived, but that soon dissipated. They were kind enough to have the room all cooled down when we arrived, a nice touch that seems rare and was much appreciated. Front counter staff were very polite and friendly. Typical cold breakfast: cereal, pastries, whole fruit.

All in all I found it acceptable, and good value for money. If you want modern, super-clean, fancy, etc., well there are lots of other places in Gulfport that provide that for an appropriate fee. If you're looking for acceptable accommodations at a reasonable price, this fills the bill. I would stay here again.

The optional questions reminded me of two more things: they are "pet friendly" but there's a $35 deposit. Also, there's an attached Japanese/sushi restaurant which we didn't try.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Gannet2
Thanks for staying with us we are working hard to keep our prices down and give our guest everything they need and expect.