“Super friendly staff, with compassion for stressed out travelers”

Best Western Seaway Inn
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Gulfport
Los Angeles, California
“Super friendly staff, with compassion for stressed out travelers”
Reviewed July 30, 2008

This hotel was a true blessing to us!

While our family had a terrible experience at the America's Best Value Inn, also in Gulfport, MS (see review for the low down on that), I would be remiss if I did not write a review about the truly stellar experience that our family had at the Best Western located nearby, also in Gulfport, MS. After a horrifying experience at America's Best Value, we got a refund and began seeking other accommodations for our family, even though it was after 11:00 pm. With no real direction of where would be the best place to try, we tried Best Western, which was nearby.

And boy, what a great choice that was. From the time we walked in until the next morning when we left, the staff was very sympathetic to our plight and they went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. Some of the staff even came out to pet our dog, which was a great feeling. I only wish we had come here first! Very pet friendly and the staff truly "gets" the concept of customer service.

• Liked — great staff, good location, nice room
  • Disliked — nothing! I enjoyed it very much.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
MS
Reviewed June 5, 2008

This property is one of the cleanest properties, I have been too. Great breakfast in the morning. Huge outdoor pool that was great for the family. Quickly got checked in and out......Would visit here again......outdoor pool sold us

• Liked — pool & breakfast
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Gulfport, Mississippi
Reviewed March 20, 2008

My family and I stayed there for one night in late Novemember 2006 during our move to Gulfport. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. The room was clean and tidy. The only negatives were that the beds were VERY uncomfortable (hopefully they have new beds.), the pillows were quite thin, and the outside entrance/exit. In my experience, outdoor rooms tend to lead to noisey (sp?) guests being outside and even louder than through most walls in indoor motels/hotels. For us, the loud guests congregated outside just two doors down from us.

Bottom line, It wasn't the worst place I've ever been, but I won't ever stay there again unless I have no other options. If you are pregnant, have small kids, are a light sleeper, or require comfort and quiet to sleep, look further up the road. If not, this place isn't bad, and the complimentary breakfast includes hot foods like pancakes and biscuits.

• Liked — Breakfast and leaving
  • Disliked — The Beds
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed November 11, 2007

I was a little worried about staying at this hotel after reading reviews but my in-laws booked it so I really had no choice. When we got there I looked around and saw no problems. The beds were fine, the bathroom was fine, and the room was fine overall. I also saw that some people complained about the airplanes. We heard two right after we got there but that was at 4:30 in the afternoon. We didn't hear any overnight so unless you are taking a nap in the afternoon you should be fine. I would say here again and recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — shower
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank poopc98
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 26, 2007

We had a very early flight out of Gulfport Airport the next morning, so we chose to stay at this hotel because of the price and proximity to the airport. I have traveled extensively for work and we had stayed at previous Best Westerns with mixed results. We are not first-time travelers nor are we the type that only stay in 4-Stars. Please keep in mind that we arrived at this hotel in the midst of a torrential rainstorm - that may color this review.

We pulled up to the hotel and the parking lot was flooded up the waist in some areas. Not a good start to the experience. After waiting for about 10 minutes, I was checked in. The staff was initally not friendly, perhaps because of the rush due to the storm. We were given a room facing the pool, which would have been fun, if the pool itself was not overflowing and flooding towards the rooms. There was definitely water in some of the rooms along our row. We were at the end. We put all of our luggage as high up as we could and prayed for the best.

The room itself is very typical roadside motel - gross comforter, basic bath. It did not seem overwhelmingly clean, but it wasn't something that would have caused me to run out into the next great flood to find something else either. I did refuse to walk on the carpet in my bare feet. (Handy hint to travelers - buy a pair of cheap compact slippers - just in case) I did not see any bugs, thankfully, because then I would have been out the door in a heartbeat. Bath seemed relatively clean but the shampoo was half used and there were some very long dark hairs in the tub and in the sheets/on the pillows. (I'm blonde so I know they weren't mine.)

The clientele in the rooms down from ours were a bunch of young drunks. If I had been staying by myself, I would have been very uncomfortable. I walked by myself to meet my hubby in the bar at one point and was not comfortable at all. When we retired for the night, my husband placed his golf bag suitcase propped against the door between it and the desk, as a safety precaution.

The staff...we had one young lady who was very helpful after she warmed up a bit. Her counterpart ignored any guest that came up to the front desk and stayed on the phone with her mother for at least the 45 minutes that we were waiting for our cab to pick us up for dinner (we had dropped off the rental car early, that was a mistake as well - cabs are more scarce than Bigfoot around here.). Hello, call your mom on break from the back. Don't stand at the front desk in full view of everyone and carry on forever on the phone. If I was working with her, I would have knocked her out.

The bar/club at this place is very popular, with a line stretching into the lobby itself and it is loud. Note to wives, the cocktail staff wear outfits similar to those at the casinos. My chest hurt looking at all the push-up action in your face. My hubby seemed to enjoy it, so I'm sure that it's a gender thing. Anyway, the music is set on deafening and it goes on until at least 3:00 a.m. If you stay here, ask for a room as far away from the club as possible. That is the only saving grace for us, we were far enough from the club that we weren't subjected to the rowdy club noise, just the noise from the young drunks (who must not have been of legal drinking age, otherwise they would have been at the club)jumping in the pool at midnight.

We left well before the breakfast was served so I cannot comment on that aspect. The pool was completely flooded and so I cannot comment on the pool either.

Overall, this hotel would be fine for a very low budget one night visit. The lobby looks freshly done but the rooms definitely need to have the bedding and the carpet ripped out. Would we stay here again? Only if the Hampton Inn next door was full...

• Liked — Distance to airport; the one helpful front desk person; nice bartender
  • Disliked — crowd of young drunks; pool flooding
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lakeflyer
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviewed June 27, 2007

because this hotel had won an award for best value in 2006, the reviews were mostly glowing, it was affordable, and near the airport, i chose the best western seaway inn.

on the positive side:
when we arrived, the mgr was helpful in getting us some contact solution (our luggage was lost) as she danced to the loud music coming from the bar.

the continental breakfast had cold and hot items and variety.

ON THE NEGATIVE SIDE:
my pillow had mascara stains on both sides and when i pulled the sheets back, there was a toenail in the bed. when i told the mgr about this, she acted like she wasn't surprised. we were moved to the "executive suite" and it smelled like dirty feet, but the bed was clean and we were tired so we stayed.

the music was loud, but we couldn't hear it from our room. it seemed like a lot of 20 something riff-raff stayed/partied here; we felt a little uneasy walking to our room outside (i'm a female in my 20's and my fellow traveler was a male in his 40's)

as a traveler, i don't demand much--really just clean ammenities and this inn failed. disgusting.

• Liked — proximity to airport and continental breakfast
  • Disliked — our bed was not clean, yet it was folded like it had been
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank djangobarks
Texas
Reviewed October 30, 2006

FILTHY, NASTY, SMELLY ACCOMMODATIONS. Stayed here mid-September. Very noisy property, full of contractors/workers, DO NOT bring your family here. Not at all a professional establishment. First room, no vanity lights & overall very NASTY, second room, sink stopped up, housekeeping didn't perform well at all, room not fit to sleep in, bathe in, etc. VERY filthy accommodations. (Stayed because I had traveled 3 states and had a prearranged specialist's appointment.) Roaches in and out of the room 24/7. Smell of mold and mildew. Bathroom EXTREMELY nasty. This place HAD to be under water in Katrina and clearly proper renovations/repairs were NOT done. Paint alone does NOT fix these problems. Continuously sneezing, respiratory difficulties while there, and up to 2 wks. after staying overnight. VERY bad conditions. Upon complaining to Management, deemed this hotel MOST unscrupulous and very dishonest. Refused to provide me with the name of the owner. Main offices of Best Western did not know owner's name either. PLEASE NOTE: I could NOT locate this motel through the Better Business Bureau OR the Chamber of Commerce...an absolute DUMP.

• Liked — Not one single thing. This place was a roach nest.
  • Disliked — Filthy, nasty, not fit to rent to the public.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away from this motel. Period.
  • Stayed September 2006