“Enjoyed our weekend - but rating should be 3 1/2”

Best Western Seaway Inn
Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Gulfport
Picayune, Mississippi
“Enjoyed our weekend - but rating should be 3 1/2”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We just got home from spending two nights at this hotel. I had made the reservation in advance and requested a Smoking, King, ground floor room since I travel with a mobility chair. The check in process went quickly and smoothly, We found the room to be clean, the bed was very comfortable and numerous pillows were on the bed, a fridge and microwave were provided as well as a very nice flat screen TV and the air conditioning was both quiet and very efficient (had to turn it down to warm up). The complimentary breakfast was very good served in a lovely dining area. I don't care for powdered eggs but that was more than offset by the sausage, biscuits & gravy, multiple choices of pastries and fruit as well as apples, oranges and bananas and a selection of cereals and a first for me, the availability of making your own Belgian waffle. The coffee was good and both orange and apple juice was offered. Michael's Night Club, located in the hotel was really nice but that's where we encountered our first disappointment. The ads all show this hotel as having a restaurant... it DOES NOT. However, the bartender did steer us to ordering from the Holiday Inn next door and the food was delivered to us our first night so we didn't have to go someplace else after all. The advertising needs to be updated because even in the information booklet in the rooms it still shows Michael's as serving food and gives a menu! My only other negative has to do with the fact that none of the doors to the main lobby or in the ladies room in the lobby area are equipped with openers which makes it difficult for a person in a wheelchair to navigate. Also, it wasn't till we were packed and leaving and drove around the back of the hotel that I saw any ramps up to the sidewalk area. If I'd been alone I'd not have been able to get from my room to my car without wheeling all the way around the building.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
GulfportBestWestern, Front Office Manager at Best Western Seaway Inn, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I would like to apologize for all of the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. Michael's nightclub was also a restaurant at one time, and I am sorry if it was misleading. I can understand your frustration with the wheelchair accessible concerns. The main entrance to our lobby, however, is sliding doors that open automatically. We have two ramps, one near the front entrance by some of our handicap, mobility accessible rooms and one in the back of our building located right next to our other handicap, mobility accessible rooms. We do not have handicap rooms on the smoking side of our building. On another note, any of our staff members are willing to help all of our guests with any of their needs at anytime as well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Lucedale, Mississippi
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Reserved 2 rooms three days in advance. Asked for rooms to be adjacent. Asked if there is an elevator. Was assured rooms would be close to each other, and there is an elevator.

At check-in, discovered rooms were at opposite ends of motel and on different floors. Was able to get 2 rooms 10 doors apart on same floor. Desk clerk directed me to elevator, neglected to tell me it was out of order.

AC unit condensation drained into room, soaking carpet. Awakened with sore throat due to dampness in room. AC shook the room every time it shut off.

Could hear someone scarfing up buggers through the bathroom vent.

My daughter asked for wake-up call & didn't get one.

Completely miserable stay.

Room Tip: Find a Motel 6
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank FLYGER1945
GulfportBestWestern, Manager at Best Western Seaway Inn, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
So sorry that we fell short of your expectations. We just had a major storm called Hurricane Isaac that caused our elevator to break, because of flooding. They same is true with our A/C units. The atomosphere is very humid right now and is causing our A/C to condinsate. Not that this is an excuse. We strive hard to meet all our guest expectations, again I am sorry that we did not.
Aschaffenburg, Germany
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I booked this Hotel at the last minute for a weeks stay due to a family visit. I didn't expect much, but both the location and the price were perfect. I didn't encounter one single problem during my visit. The breakfast was adequate and the serving area was clean. The same goes for the exercise room, which I used every morning. The pool was also clean and well maintained. The room was excellent. The bed was comfortable, the shower and bath area were all in working order. I like the spaciousness of the room. There was enough room to entertain, unlike some Hotels I've stayed at recently. The best aspect was the great maid service. Everything was cleaned with an obvious eye towards perfection.The personnel at the reception were also very nice and appeared to be interested in my comfort.I am often way too critical of Hotels, but even with a critical eye I couldn't find anything to criticize.If you are looking for a nice place to stay, just off the Interstate, then stay @ the Seaway Inn. One bit of advice. If you want to do some shopping or want to visit a restaurant on the other side of the street, drive your car. Walking across 6 lanes of traffic could be lethal.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool area, with the vegetation and trees are easier on the eyes than the back rooms...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
GulfportBestWestern, Manager at Best Western Seaway Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay was. We do our best as a team to try and make all our guest stayes the best they can be. We look forward to having you stay with us again. Have a great day.
st louis, mo
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We were distressed when we matched with this hotel through hotwire and read the reviews on this site. After calling them, requesting a non-smoking room, and making it clear that we expected a nice, clean room we did not expect much. We even called hotwire to see if we could get out of the reservation, stating that the classification of the hotel was too high and was misrepresented to us.
With low expectations and fully prepared to ask for a transfer to another hotel, we approached the desk to check in. There were two happy, friendly girls working behind the desk. They assigned us a second story room overlooking the pool. We walked into our room and were blown away-- it was clean, fresh, and luxurious. They even had a "clean remote" box for the remote control! Hard to believe that it opened to the outside. The view out of the window was a pretty courtyard with a pool. The location was great-- accessible to outlets and not far from the beach and great local restaurants. We felt safe everywhere, including the parking lot. The bed was really comfortable.
Consider this hotel when traveling. It is a good choice.
We did not eat breakfast there. Slept too late!
Just be sure to specify non-smoking if you do not want a smoking room.

Room Tip: ask for a pool view room on the second floor. If you do not like the room they put you in, ask for...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GulfportBestWestern, Front Office Manager at Best Western Seaway Inn, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
It is always nice to hear we have exceeded our guests expectations here at Best Western Pllus Seaway Inn. Customer service is a number one priority for our hotel, and knowing we are doing our job in that department is great. We hope to see you at our hotel again in the future. Thank you for the lovely review; we are very glad you enjoyed your stay!
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My stay at this hotel was absolutely the worst I've ever experienced anywhere. The room itself was less than acceptable. The only good thing about it was the comfortable bed. The water pressure was almost non-existent. I had a hard time washing my hair. The sink was very slow to drain. The free breakfast they served was horrible. But more than the food being horrible, it was very unsanitary. The tables were never cleaned, spilled food in the buffet style line was not cleaned up. There was spilled cereal on the floor that I accidentally stepped on. They were always out of waffle batter. Milk was spilled around the milk machine and on the floor and was not cleaned up. The eggs were not REAL eggs, but a substitute "egglike substance". The first two nights were spent listening to the partiers in the adjoining room til 2:00am. We called the front desk to complain 3 times before someone was sent out to investigate. It was the same scenario the 2nd night. We were promised $30 off our bill for the inconvenience but only received $16.80. Why the odd amount, I have no clue or why they refused to refund only a partial amount is anyone's guess. My husband slipped on the pool ladder that resulted in gashes on both legs because the ladder was only attached to the pool on one side. This was reported immediately but all they did was put some caution tape around the ladder...there was no concern about my husband's injuries...no compensation at all for that. Even though the hotel is located very near the airport and the train tracks, the noise was nothing compared to the noise from the partiers. There were lots of kids running all around as well as barking dogs that they allow to stay there. I was awakened to a fight in the parking lot in the wee hours of the morning on the 3rd night. They say security patrols 24 hours a day....I did not see security patrolling anything...I did see security sitting in a little room watching tv, however....and it wasn't a security monitor!

There are plenty of other hotels in Gulfport in the same price range. Don't waste your money here!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nanncy M
We as a whole at Best Western Plus Seaway Inn apologize for the mishaps you experienced at our hotel. We do have security that is here during the night (not 24 hours a day) that does their best to keep the noise level under control, especially on busy, sold out weekends. As soon as we hear about issues or problems that need fixing, maintenenance, who has a shop/room, in the back, address them. Such as, putting caution tape around the pool ladder to stop others from slipping on a wobbly step until it can be tightened properly. Thank you for letting us know how your stay was. I hope you will consider giving our hotel another chance.
Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

While you may be tempted to stay here for the price, don't do it! The rooms are
not that bad. Cleanliness was not really an issue either. However, the staff was not friendly. The breakfast was a disgusting joke. The noise level is unbearable. The airplanes and trains were not an issue as these were expected. It was the other guests. People yelling and screaming and cussing outside all hours of the night. Kids running up and down in front of the doors hollering until all hours of the night. Who lets their kids run around at 2:00am??! Neighboring guests blaring their tv until early morning (or maybe it is just paper thin walls!). Stay away! Save a few extra bucks and stay at a better hotel chain nearby!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank BeachBound2013
GulfportBestWestern, Front Office Manager at Best Western Seaway Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
On behalf of Best Western Plus Seaway Inn, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations during your stay. We have security that walks the property all night long, doing their best to keep the noise level down. I am very sorry it disturbed you and if any of the staff was unpleasant in anyway. Thank you for letting us know how your experience was so we can take measures to improve. I do hope you will come back so we will have another chance to show you the pleasantries our hotel!
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Clean, comfortable, priced right, helpful staff, good location. Will stay here again. Wish all moderately priced motel room experiences were as good as this one was.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool can be a bit noisy, so if that's an issue, ask for an outside room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank hikejo
GulfportBestWestern, Front Office Manager at Best Western Seaway Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Our hotel is in a location that is real close to shopping centers, various restaurants, a waterpark, and the beach. We strive to make sure we deliver spectacular costumer service to all our guests everyday so I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Thank you for taking the extra time to write a review about our hotel. We will be looking forward to you staying with us again in the future.