WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Island View Casino Resort

Island View Casino Resort
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Gulfport
Metairie, Louisiana, Usa
“Great spot on the coast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have stayed here several times, alone and with family, and the stay has always been very enjoyable. The rooms are clean and updated. The food is great with several choices (24 hour coffee is always a plus)! The service is excellent, with friendly and accommodating staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Destin, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is one of the cleanest and most colorful small casinos in the Gulfport/Biloxi area. Abundant slots fill the one level casino. The drawbacks are that it's pretty far from the other casinos and doesn't have a lot of dining options. Staff is nice and the rooms are brightly decorated. The small pool has cabanas and is well landscaped. If you want to relax and do a little gambling, it's a pleasant getaway!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
macon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Gerri from Georgia. With five kids in three states, I travel quite a bit. The seven hours I drive to Gulfport to visit Island View is a pleasure. I have been visiting the View for several years now and I still look forward to each trip. I know that once I pull into that drive, the staff at Island View will be available to take care of my every need. I have valet parking take my car and that is the last time I see it until I am ready to leave. The rooms are always clean and well furnished. The many resturants on the property make each meal an experience. The gaming floor has everything you could want to play. The staff is always there to help. The hotel manager, Bernie Donlan, has always gone above and beyond to help make me, my family, and my friends that I bring to the gulf coast as comfortable as possible. They have all been very impressed. I am not here to say that there will never be a single problem. I am here to tell you that once you let someone on Island View staff know there is a problem, they will do everything they can to resolve it. I receive generous comps for my money I spend playing in free play and in meals. After my first trip, the offers starting coming either in the mail or on line and I have not had to pay for a meal since then. If you choose to go out in the city of Gulfport, you will find many things to do. My grandkids love the beach and the playgrounds. Not to mention the pool at Island view and the movies that are available through the hotel. Island View is an all around enjoyment experience and I would advise anyone to give it a try. I, myself, plan to make many more trips in the future,

Room Tip: Rooms close to the elevators can be a little noisy.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mobile, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

A very well maintained hotel with easy beach access and a fantastic pool area. The rooms are clean and very comfortable and the bath amenities are top notch Gilchrist & Soames products. The restaurant choices at this property are second to none.

Room Tip: Any room is a good room!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1Planettrekker
Metairie, Louisiana, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were very disappointed in our stay at the hotel this time. We hadn't been in several years and had high hopes. The staff was very nice but the rooms left a lot to be desired. If you like a fluffy pillow be sure to bring your own, the pillows they have on the bed are like not having a pillow. The air conditioning had one speed, guess if you like it cool you would like it. We turned the unit on heat to warm up the room and it still blew cold air. The first room we were in was so damp and moist it was ridiculous, we had to switch rooms. Both rooms had stopped up sinks. We were glad we only were staying one night. They did add a pool but it was small in comparison to the amount of people they had in it. I would think long and hard before I went back. Guess if they comped me for the room I would go.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Kris A
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

As we live in the midwest, we cannot visit the gulf coast as often as we would like to.... every visit is a pleasure. We have been to the Island View to gamble once before in 2012. From that trip to the casino, they gave us a generous amount of free play on our Player's Cards. And they offered us 3 free nights, so we decided to give it a try. Since we'd never stayed overnight, we were initially surprised that they gave us a room with an ocean view. Ok, so it's not the fanciest hotel on the coast, but it is not a bad alternative. The rooms are spacious, quiet and seemed pretty clean. The mini-refrigerator was a big plus for our family.

As far as the cons, the old-timey looking bedspreads were not very inviting. They were faded from washing had little pills on them from over-use. The beds themselves were not too comfy, but the pillows were good. Next time, I would definitely ask for extra blankets as they were thin and I was afraid to use the bedspread. They provided free WIFI, but it was pretty slow, so we rarely used it. At night, the light from the hallway streamed underneath a huge opening underneath the room door ... so it was hard to block that light out when going to sleep. It was so big, my 9yo would crouch down on the floor and watch people walking in the hallway. The hallways were always somewhat musty smelling, but they seemed to be trying to take care of with the huge fans on the carpets. Now, the main con that I couldn't quite get over was the smell of our room. It smelled somewhat like a cleaning solution, but I later decided that it smelled more like one of those "Lilt Home Permanents" that we got in the 70s. Once I had that thought in my mind, I couldn't really stay in the room while awake for very long. To combat that smell, I tried to use a candle and extra perfumes. I would have asked for another room, but I preferred to just stay out and enjoy our trip rather than spend time at the hotel.

One day, walking though the hall, I did see a maid in another room spraying something into a glass cup with a spay bottle. Then, she wiped out the glass cup with her dust rag. I kept walking, so I don't know the whole story there of what she was doing. But, it bothered me so much that I will never drink from a glass cup in a hotel again if this is the way the cups get cleaned from the previous lodgers. We didn't eat at the buffet. We didn't like the saltwater pool because it was simply too hot to bear on a 98 degree day.

All in all, I think this is a fairly comfortable hotel for the gulf coast. We had a great time at the casino. Like I said, I think this place has real opportunity to be great again if they make a few changes. I would visit again... with my candles.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank imwithsully
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I arrived late for a 4 night stay and got stuck in a small, lower floor room overlooking a brick wall. After speaking to the hotel clerk, Sandra, I was promised a room change the next morning. Boy, did they make it up to us! We were moved to a 4th floor corner room, overlooking the beach with 2 large windows. We had a fabulous stay from then on. The employees here will bend over backwards to make sure their patrons are happy. The food on the buffet was really southern and delicious too! The casino had so many activities for us 50+ people, that we couldn't decide which to do first! We will go back again and again! Thanks Island View!!

Room Tip: Ask for an upper corner room, large and sunny
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NanoNanoTech
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulfport
Wingate by Wyndham Gulfport
Courtyard Gulfport Beachfront
Hampton Inn & Suites Gulfport
IP Casino Resort Spa - Biloxi
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Biloxi
Hilton Garden Inn Gulfport Airport

Been to Island View Casino Resort? Share your experiences!