“I thought I was too tough...I wasn't!”

Island View Casino Resort
Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Gulfport
Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

I thought I was too tough in an earlier review of Island View. I was hoping that it was just one bad experience. It wasn't...and I wasn't!

This review is just my opinion. But it is based on more than one visit, or just occasional visits. Take it for what it is. If you're thinking of visiting, do so. Form your own opinion. If you have a better experience, I think that's a good thing. It may mean Island View is listening to its guests.

As it stands, my plan for 2013 is to use my hotel comps at Island View and gamble in Biloxi. The rooms aren't bad when they're clean. I know that they've been shampooing the carpet more. I've seen it, and one night my floor was a little damp at check-in. This visit I was thankful my momma taught me to never sit on public toilets without cleaning or covering. I could tell the seat hadn't been cleaned and when I took a few tissues and wiped it, the tissues were brown. My advice is to bring Clorox wipes, if you can.

Having said that, I can say that it appears the staff is working on the overall cleanliness of the hotel. The halls don't smell as smoky or musty as they once did. They could probably focus more on dusting, cleaning the grout in the bathrooms, and knowing when to throw out the rubber mats for the tubs and the pillow shams. On a good note, the check-in staff is friendly and courteous, and really go out of the way to be helpful.

One more point here - if you use the valet service, you may want to ask your valet to handle your vehicle or rental with care. Two weeks ago, someone pulled out in front me driving like an idiot. Turns out it was one of the female valets in someone's practically new car. I've sat outside on occasion to get away from the smoke in the casino and I can tell you that some guests wouldn't be pleased with how their vehicles are being driven.

My second beef during this visit was the buffet. Someone should be taken behind the shed and spanked for allowing some of those crab legs to be served. A few of us were standing in line waiting for them to fill the pans when someone's little girl yelled out, "Why are those crab dirty?" It was funny to hear that coming from a child. It was not so funny that she was telling the truth. I guess they figured fewer guests during the pre-Christmas holiday justified the lack in food quality.

Finally, I still believe the slots are way too tight. I play slots even though I know the odds are in the casino's favor and there's no such thing as an almost jackpot. I know spins are random. But I also know that the casino can control looseness. Some of the machines here should be thrown out because it appears no one has a chance at getting even a small return. If some of the casino's employees think the machines are too tight, you know you've got issues.

The place is becoming depressing. And again, I don't base this on one visit or an occasional visit. I love to play and just get away, but I would like to see or hear more winning including for myself. More importantly, I would just like for the freeplay and my money to last longer. The truth is without the promotions, Island View would probably be in trouble. I'm noticing the weekend crowds are getting thinner.

Months ago, I would have to wait to play certain machines. Now you can go to some parts of the casino, and absolutely no one is playing in the area. You go to other areas and players are swearing and complaining. Get on the elevator at the end of the night and it's even worse. Yes, gambling is a gamble. I, and obviously a number of others, just believe it should be a fair gamble.

The last point I want to make is this - after my last review I noticed that my Guest Host suddenly stopped visiting me at my machines. It was so obvious that I found it hilarious. It worked out in my favor though since I find them to be annoying at times. If I need something, I'll let you know. I'm spending my money here so my point is not to knock them, but to hopefully make them better by giving an honest opinion.

• Stayed: December 2012
9  Thank spaghettinmeatballs
Jeff T, Guest Relations Manager at Island View Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2012

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you may have encountered during your recent visit to the Island View Casino Resort. I have forwarded your correspondence to the appropriate managers for their review and please be assured we realize the impression the encounters you have described leave on our customers, and we regret when we fail to meet the expectation you have come to expect from us. What you have described is not typical of what we expect from our employees or our operations process and truly appreciate when customer bring these matters to our attention.

I would hope you have seen evidence of this with the recent addition of the View Show Room, along with the announcement enhancements to our Island View player reward program that is designed to reward frequent customers with increased insider benefits. These and other additions are a direct result of customer feedback.

Again, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you encountered. We do appreciate your business and look forward to your return.

Jeff Thomas
Island View Casino Resort

Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I were compelled to write a review on the Islandview Casino Resort after reading some of the reviews on the internet. I am not sure what planet some of these people come from, but I sure don't want to live there. Many of the reviews were negative which made us apprehensive about staying there, but our fears quickly vanished. We stayed at the Islandview on Dec. 3-5, 2012. When my wife made the reservations, the lady was courteous, polite and helpful. The process went very smooth. When checking in at the front desk, again, the process went very smooth. The lady was very informative. When we got to our room, we were pleasantly suprised at the layout of the room. The room was neat, clean and smelled good. The mini-refrigerator was a plus. The flat-screen TV was a pleasure to watch. The buffet was delicious. The ice cream station is the best on the coast. The casino floor was very large. It was very neat and clean. There are many different varieties of slot machines to play. The slot techs, cashiers, waitresses and valet personnel were very nice, polite and helpful. My wife and I will stay at the Islandview again and we would recommend to anyone to experience a stay there.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank JBFAR
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed at this trip on a family gathering because it was convenient. Obviously the hotel is just for gamblers who love the casino--and for smokers. Both dominate the environment. Smoking is permitted everywhere and it permeates your clothes, hair, and lungs. The noise level in the casino is high everywhere in the lobby, restaurants, and coffee shop. The food is average to below average. Moreover, the room rates and food charges are quite high for what you get and for the area. Unlike a lot of casinos, there is no entertainment offered other than the casino. If gambling is your thing and you are willing to tolerate any environment to do it, this hotel may be OK for you; otherwise, don't go there.

Room Tip: As for the rooms, there is a beach side and a parking lot side. Try for the beach view, although it...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Bedrock1831
Reviewed November 8, 2012

The Island View is an excellent place if you like to gamble especially on slots. This casino offers you an experience for your dollar. If you are a club member after you have accumulated a few points you usually receive mailers each month offering 2 free room nights with a third at a very discounted rate. You also receive free slot play to use during your stay. There are no gambling limits. As you play you are allowed to use the points you accumulate for free or discounted buffet meals, sometimes free slot play, etc. They have slot tournaments and "hot seat" drawings. It is a smoking casino, but they have adequate ventilation. The weekends offer entertainment that is free and they sometimes have something going on in the pool area. They have daily promotions and plenty of week-end promotions. This casino makes you feel special without having to be a high roller. If you are from out of State they really appreciate you.

Room Tip: Do not get a room near the elevator area.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sandra M
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Visited with a friend recently and asked for a quiet room near the ice machine and not too far from the elevator. Got a gorgeous room on the fifth floor, half way down the hall from the elevator and ice machine (only the ice machine on that floor was broken) so I had to go to the fourth floor for ice. In the middle of the night two grown women were shouting outside our door loud enough the wake the dead. I flung the door open and one of them was sitting on the floor next to our door, while the other exclaimed (to the world) the hotel gave us the key to someone else's room and then they gave a key that didn't work (I'm thinking alcohol was involved somehow). We weren't laughing then, but we are laughing now. By the way....the phone call you got when the do not disturb sign was on your door....that was from me!

The ignorant women yelling in the night is not a hotel issue so I don't fault them for that, but they should routinely check the ice machines.

Now the food....the buffet was outstanding, especially the asian station. I have never seen fresh rolls on a buffet and I made most of my meal from them. My friend is more conservative and enjoyed all the American food. Everything was fresh, the hot things were hot and cold things were cold (which isn't always the case on buffets).

The slots....better return than the Beau Rivage and lots of choices.

Will definitely make another visit, but will check the ice machine before I take the room.

Room Tip: Ask if you can see the room before you commit.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank gloria w
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I spent three nights at this resort. The front desk staff have been very helpful. I have stayed at this resort many times. The rooms are very comfortable. I stayed in the king sized room - the bed was very comfortable. They have a small safe inside the rooms (which I don't remember seeing the last time I stayed there)...having a safe in the room is a big plus! The casino has a restaurant, buffet, and a coffee shop that has great sandwiches/salads. Island View offers a lot of fun stuff/action. If it wasn't so far from me...I'd be there more often! They give the best comps. Offer great slot tournaments. I can't wait to go back there again!

Room Tip: If you're a non smoker be sure to request a higher floor - 3rd flr or above. I was once on a se...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Countrygal063
Reviewed October 20, 2012

As we live 500 miles away, we cannot visit Island View as often as we would like to....every visit is a pleasure. Casino staff are professional, fun people; rooms are beautiful, with all the amenities you could possibly need. Buffet is huge, with many different ethnic selections. Island View also has its own golf course; Windance, located several miles away...again, a truly wonderful course, with tees for all skill levels. Island View is very generous with its monthly mailings, and always has some sort of promotion going on.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Gulf of Mexico
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BOJO1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulfport
Wingate by Wyndham Gulfport
Courtyard Gulfport Beachfront
Best Western Seaway Inn
Best Western Seaway Inn
#7 of 29 in Gulfport
Hampton Inn & Suites Gulfport
IP Casino Resort Spa - Biloxi
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Biloxi

Been to Island View Casino Resort? Share your experiences!