“Island View Resort Casino Gulfport, MS--"BE AWARE"”

and 1 more site!
Island View Casino Resort
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Gulfport
Eunice, Louisiana
“Island View Resort Casino Gulfport, MS--"BE AWARE"”
Reviewed December 12, 2007

My wife and I have stayed at this property several times in the past when it was the Grand Casino Oasis Resort (Pre-Katrina), so we decided to give the new owners a try as the Island View Casino Resort. We booked our room 2 months in advance for a non-smoking jacuzzi suite with a gulf view. I even received an email confirmation from the hotel with my exact information. When we arrived at the hote, they made us wait over an hour to check in because they had "over-booked" on non-smoking jacuzzi suites for that weekend. HOW DO YOU OVERBOOK A HOTEL!!? Once they finally checked us in, the woman at the front desk said she was sorry for the wait, but that she had finally gotten us the room that we requested. WRONG! The room was a smoking room with a view of the casino roof. When I complained, she said that was the best she could do on short notice. I became even more angry since I did make a reservation 2 months prior--but my anger didn't seem to matter to her. I had to beg for a comp for a buffet dinner--and when we checked out on Sunday, the comp had not been charged back off of our bill. The moral of this story.....The Island View Casino Resort is trying to be upscale like the Beau Rivage in Biloxi, but they aren't even close. If you are traveling in the Biloxi/Gulfport area, DO NOT STAY AT THE ISLAND VIEW CASINO IN GULFPORT. The Beau Rivage is the "Crown Jewel" of the Mississippi Coast.

• Liked — SIZE OF THE ROOM
  • Disliked — CUSTOMER SERVICE
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank LANDYFONTENOT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Douglasville
Reviewed November 13, 2007

I have stayed here several times. Each time things have gotten worse. My reservations have been mixed up. I ordered food in my food in my room it took 3 hrs to get there. I was put in a room that was occupied. This last trip I had several complaint and when I complained they were totally non reponsive. I could never reommend anyone staying here.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Lastchance_7
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Reviewed October 18, 2007

Everything was wonderful! We had a special event - my son's retirement from the US Navy and booked a small reception at the Island View Hospitality Room. It was just perfect!!! The hotel staff was exceptional in helping us put this together and on the day of the event they out did themselves. Friendly, professional & yet almost invisable. This was better than we envisioned it. Thank you Island View!!
The rooms were beautiful and all our family members were pleased with their accommondations. This is a wonderful memory that we'll have for a long, long time.
The Rutherford-Holley family.

• Disliked — Smoke
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Holley-7
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed September 15, 2007

My wife and I have been staying in resorts and casinos on the coast for many years. The Beau Rivage in Biloxi has been and still is by far the class of the MS Gulf Coast. However, Gulfport now has a really impressive option.

When the Island View Resort is totally complete, there will be no need to travel anywhere else for top notch amenities. As it is now, the casino is very modern and extremely attractive...no cheesy themes here. It is a very large gaming floor with all new slots, lots of table games and great modern bars. The cafe option to the buffet is one of the most attractive reastaurants on the coast with a phenomenal (off the menu) breakfast.

The rooms and hotel common areas are as attractive as the casino decor. All carpets, linens, fabrics, etc. are high quality and of contemporary design. The bedding is very luxurious.

It is thrilling that Gulfport, once again, has such a top notch hotel casino resort!

• Liked — Decor
  • Disliked — Pool not open
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jcdato
vero beach
Reviewed September 4, 2007

Received a free night coupon in the mail and took them up on it. Formerly the Grand Hotel. Only occupying the building across from US 90 now as they are restoring the beach side for "whales" only. Very nice room; comfy bed and granite top bathroom. View of the parking lot...Not complaining. Casino is VERY loose and recommend trying the slots towards Emeril's restaurant in the back. Lots of hits.

• Liked — beautiful rooms
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mickivero
Senatobia, Mississippi
Reviewed August 3, 2007

We were attending a conference in Bay St. Louis. All the rooms at the hotel there were booked, so we drove to Gulfport and stopped at the Island View. Not only were we able to get a room, it was probably one of the nicest room we have ever stayed in. It was a beautiful corner room with plenty of light and decorated beautifully. The mattress was the best I have ever seen in any hotel. The other plus was the plasma screen TV. We were certainly glad that we didn't get a room at the other hotel afterall.
We ate several meals there, and the food was excellent. The shrimp were the largest I have ever seen on a buffet. My only even partially negative comment would be that there was no pool. I was kind of looking forward to sitting by the pool and relaxing, but that might be something they are planning to do in the future. There is still a lot of contruction going on due to Hurricane Katrina. I highly recommend this hotel, even if you don't gamble.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank RobinRRT
Myrtle Grove, FL
Reviewed June 13, 2007

This property is coming back strong. I think everyone has had too high expectations of the casinos in the Gulfport/Biloxi area after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. We noticed a marked improvement in the Island View since we last visited in March.
We spent the night June 12th in rm 4032. It was located near the end of a hallway and had a view of the front property parking lot.
The room was very clean and well appointed. We had a very restful nights sleep. The buffet is excellent and wait staff were very attentive during our meal! The slots were loose and had plenty of variety. Everyone of the staff that we encountered were very friendly and helpful.

The only negative of our stay to report was the buffet wait staff later in the evening was a little slow in serving us when we stopped by for just coffee. Once we brought it to the attention of supervisory staff they immediately corrected the situation and comped the coffee!

The Island View is currently undergoing expansion with a parking garage, more eating venues, etc. Once completed, it should once again be the best destination in the area. We hope that they rebuild the lazy river that was on the property prior to Katrina. That was one of the main reasons we chose to stay there numerrous times when we took the Grandkids with us. It was always great to have things for the entire family to do.

Given some more time this property will be back better than ever!
We plan to visit many more times in the future.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Eberything was great!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Rod P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulfport
Wingate by Wyndham Gulfport
Courtyard Gulfport Beachfront
Hampton Inn & Suites Gulfport
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Biloxi
Holiday Inn Express Long Beach
Treasure Bay Casino and Hotel

Been to Island View Casino Resort? Share your experiences!