“Great food, odd atmosphere.”
Review of Back Bay Seafood Restaurant - CLOSED

Back Bay Seafood Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Great seafood and service excellent. A place where the locals go which is always a plus in my book. Check it out.
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

The interior was much nicer than the outside, giving a try at fine dining atmosphere, however the brown paper table clothes kind of took away from that. Also, the dinnerware needs updating. The plates and bowls looked like something out of the 70's.

Our server made excellent recommendations and was very pleasant and attentive.

The food was great. The Oysters Rockafeller were a little soupy, but still good. I had the seared tuna salad and it was amazing. The sauces and honey balsamic dressing were perfect together. My mom had the seafood pasta and she really enjoyed it as well. Decent sized shrimp and great alfredo sauce. The chocolate bomb could use a better name, but was a delicious ice cream and lava cake combo.

We will definitely go back.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Rode by this place a few times and finally stopped in. I wasn't impressed right off the bat and should of left then. The hostess, well she just seemed miserable. The place was cute but not sure why any restaurant would put a roll of brown paper over top of beautiful black tablecloths. I thought this reduced the atmosphere from casual down to finger licking eating.

Our waiter was knowledgeable about the dinner specials but that was it. Didn't know when happy hour was or even what was included for drinks/ prices for happy hour.

The food was okay, nothing to brag about. Needless to say, when we told him we were ready for the check, it was delivered but then it took him 15 min to come back and get it so we could leave. Talked to the hostess who said, "Oh, let me get your waiter!" Geeze really? Good luck finding him because he is M.I.A. for sure.

I wouldn't recommend this place.

1  Thank Tia B
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I bragged on this place to a co-worker only yesterday. I stopped here this afternoon for an early solo visit full of appetizers, entrees and libations. The hostess (since I was alone) asked if was eating at the bar. No, a table. If I wanted to sit at a bar I would have gone to a bar. She seated me in the bar area between the restrooms and the back door. At a high top with medieval stools. Hot over there. A man came by and said someone would take my order. Five, ten, minutes went by. I'm not sure. I made note of the families eating at real tables, knowing my tip would probably trump theirs. One of my bad habits, overtipping. I left without ordering a nice dark rum to wash the workday taste out of my mouth. Mr. Stinson, I've been a fan for years but this is unacceptable. Please fix this.

3  Thank gtonic63
Reviewed June 10, 2014

This used to a restaurant we frequented at least once a week. The last time we went here they had changed everything to a "fine dining" from the southern seafood place it had been. We were completely unaware about the change. The sign was the same there was no rebranding. I felt sort of duped and because of my southern upbringing I was unable from getting up and leaving. So instead we suffered through a horrific meal. The owner who thinks himself a chief redid the entire menu. It doesn't even resemble the old one. Everything had a "gourmet" touch and there was no substitutions. When the manager asked if we liked things we didn't say much except we miss the other menu. She said they changed the menu to make it more healthy and she stood by it. I'm not sure if she ate what I was eating but that was awful and NOT healthy. Every item at the table was dripping with oil, grease, or butter. The owner is so loud and obnoxious you cannot enjoy your conversation (or the food but that is because it is awful). The owner obviously was just bored with the menu and that is why he did this. He lost at least six to eight weekly customers with us, but I have a feeling he's lost a lot more than that. Next time at least change the font of the name or something. We felt tricked to go eat there thinking it was the way it used to be. We wont be going ever again. Just gross.

3  Thank Toriej92
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Have been going to Back Bay for a few years and just recently went and noticed a change in decor and menu, Great Change! Loved the food, service was very nice.