“So nice it's surreal.”
Review of Alluvian Hotel

Alluvian Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Greenwood
Reviewed June 24, 2007

Imagine a hip, trendy boutique hotel in New York City. Now imagine a small, sleepy, plain-folks town in the rural south. Then plunk the swanky hotel down in the southern town, and you begin to get the picture. Stepping into the lobby is a surreal experience. But I loved it! The room was swanky, with super-comfortable bed, a chaise-like chair with ottoman, and a roomy bathroom with a great shower. (The town has very soft water too.) I was in town at the company's expense, so I don't know how much the room was. Some of my colleagues said their room had a tub in addition to the shower. No view to speak of--my window faced the building next door, but I didn't care--it was like a luxurious retreat. I came home each evening to find the bed turned-down. All staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet in the morning has a very good variety of real food, actually cooked by real people (but I don't know how much that cost either). There's a fancy restaurant attached to the hotel, which I will review separately. There's a 4th floor terrace and a courtyard for sitting, a good (but not great) workout room, meeting rooms, and computer available for checking email (no charge). I did not want to leave this hotel--it was almost too nice for me!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank B_Pope

Reviewed May 20, 2007

Our (large) family stayed in the Alluvian for a wedding and the property and service were exceptional. This is truly a gem in the Delta and the Southern hospitality was wonderful.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed May 17, 2007

My husband and I recently spent mother's day weekend at the Alluvian and couldn't have had a nicer time. As soon as we arrived, the staff went out of their way to accomodate our needs, even offering to take us to dinner at Lusco's in their "London Taxi." It's a real London Cab and you should let them shuttle you to dinner if it's possible. Our room was beautiful and the bed was so comfortable that my husband missed breakfast the next morning. I finally got him out of bed in time for our couple's massage package, which turned out to be outstanding. I found the spa to be relaxing and tranquil, the staff was exceedingly professional and the couples massage room was very nicely appointed. We had dinner at Gardinia's in the hotel on Saturday night and everything was delicious. The crispy oysters were unbelieveable and the cheesecake we took back to our room was out of sight. I hope that this review encourages people to give this wonderful boutique hotel a try.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julia H
Reviewed March 12, 2007

This is a great hotel! We had a wonderful stay. The rooms are nice and big, with large bathrooms. The beds are SO comfortable! I though the price was very reasonable, the nightly rate would be much more if the hotel was in a larger city.
Everything in this hotel is top of the line, you will not be disappointed! A+++++++

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovetotravel2929
Reviewed January 26, 2007

Stayed two nights on business (January 2007). The Alluvian is nice, but utterly average. The city of Greenwood Mississippi is horrific place, with nothing of merit exept for the VIking factory and this hotel. (You will not feel safe in any square inch of this town.)

The front desk clerks are amusingly condescending, snotty with an attitude of arrogance - I assume they belive they are in a real classy place. Unfortunately they cant back up this attitude with any real substance. The hotel is nice, but certainly NOT worth the cost of 175 to 225 per night. I have been in at least a hundred boutique hotels nicer in every way, and much less overpriced.

The food was also rather disappointing. Again, not bad, but overpriced and shockingly average.

I was amused with all the 5 star reviews, and can only assume that most of the people so wonderfully charmed have little basis of comparison.

Stayed: January 2007
10  Thank JacksonGuy
Reviewed October 29, 2006

A group of girlfriends and I get together once a year and travel to Greenwood, but this years' hotel experience was absolutely the best! The new Hampton Inn (last years hotel) was great but none will EVER compare to the Alluvian! Valet parking (no addt'l charge) in GREENWOOD alone was mindblowing! Parking on your own after arriving back late is a hassle because the parking lot is really small and you'll have to find a spot on the street. The rooms were a bit small, but the extras compensated for it. CD player in the room, fantastic down comforters and pillows (they were heavenly!). We even had a rollaway that had a down comforter! The bathroom is huge, marble floors and a spacious shower. Oh, did I mention that we had a doorbell? We stayed on the 4th floor, which had a breakfast area with a fireplace and outside sitting area.(Not sure if this is on every floor or not). Breakfast buffet included bacon, eggs, sausage, muffins, biscuits & gravy, fruit, the works! We didn't take advantage of the spa nor restaurant nor the outside courtyard. The staff was great and so nice! The price was a bit stiff ($175) a night for Greenwood, but it was well worth it! Kudos to Greenwood for the upscale hotel!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
6  Thank SpeakUp
Reviewed October 27, 2006

I love this hotel. I have stayed here with my husband several times before, but it only gets better and better each time. This time we stayed in the Master Suite, great choice. It had a whirlpool bathtub, an electric fireplace and a large sitting space with a sectional sofa. This room was suggested by Dustin, a front desk clerk who also checked us into our room. He was amazingly polite and helpful. Giardina's is a great place to have a romantic dinner and a drink. The individual booths offer lots of privacy. Breakfast is to die for! The hotel's owner did not miss anything when designing the beautiful Alluvian Hotel in downtown Greenwood. Thank you for another wonderful stay and we look forward to coming back for the New Year's Eve party.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Believe_in_TN
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenwood
2 mi away
#3 of 8 in Greenwood
Comfort Suites Greenwood
Comfort Suites Greenwood
#1 of 6 in Greenwood

Been to Alluvian Hotel? Share your experiences!