“Wonderful place to take your Loving Wife” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alluvian Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Alluvian Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Greenwood
Brandon, Mississippi
“Wonderful place to take your Loving Wife”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

WooHoo!!! My wife "really" thanked me for taking her to the Alluvian. This hotel is a must for any married couple or for a group of female friends who need a getaway. We visit the Alluvian at least twice a year. The staff are outstanding as is the breakfast.

Room Tip: We have enjoyed any room we have reserved.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank thechaplain1952

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Vicksburg, Mississippi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

My husband and I wanted a quiet get away over the Thanksgiving holiday. We booked a two night stay at the Alluvian Hotel, and I booked 2 massages at the spa during our stay. The hotel staff was friendly and accommodating. Our room (420), was quite small, but we booked at the last minute, so it may have been one of the few available rooms left to reserve. The room was well decorated with a great bed, well stocked mini bar, coffee maker, and other amenities. The bathroom was large (almost as large as our room), with a tub and a large shower. The housekeeping staff was friendly and took excellent care of our room and of us when we needed extra towels, etc. We ate at the restaurant at the hotel, and were not disappointed with the quality of the entree's. My filet was superb, and my husband's blackened catfish was delicious. My house salad (a la carte for about $5.00) was little more than a handful of lettuce with three cherry tomatoes. I was also surprised that there was no bread served with our meal. We were presented with a basket of wrapped crackers, which I thought detracted from the meal, especially since all vegetables and salads had to be ordered separately. There is an extensive and reasonable wine selection available, and our dessert of bread pudding was very good. We ate in a private curtained booth, which was a nice touch, and the service was good. A breakfast buffet is included with the price of the room. There was a nice selection of fruit, eggs, breakfast meats, grits, biscuits, yogurt, etc. The breakfast room was pleasant, with a reading library, which I enjoyed.
I was really looking forward to my massages at the spa, and my expectations were high. My first massage was extremely disappointing. I requested a deep tissue massage. I was very specific in my request, and repeatedly communicated with the therapist during the massage about what I wanted. She was very nice, but simply ignored my request, stating that she was "not strong enough" to do a deep tissue massage . It was thankfully only a 30 minute massage, but I essentially paid $80.00 to have my shoulders lightly rubbed with lotion (an 18% gratuity is required in the payment for the massage) . I would not even describe it as a massage, let alone a deep tissue massage. I complained afterwards to the management, and requested another therapist for my second massage. I was charged for a "regular", rather than for a deep tissue massage after I complained, but I felt that I had wasted my morning and my money. I would have cancelled the second massage, but I would have been charged for it anyway (there is a 24 hour cancellation policy), so I kept the appointment. The second massage was a vast improvement. The therapist was very good and gave me an excellent deep tissue massage. The spa was beautifully maintained, with a steam shower, lovely waiting area, and amenities.
The management needs to pay attention to the requests of its patrons. The spa is expensive, and it is reasonable to expect quality at these prices. It would have been far better for the staff to tell me that there was not a deep tissue therapist available for the first massage, then to book me with a therapist who was unable to perform the requested service and charge me $80.00 for a service that was not what I requested.
Check out the bookstore close to the hotel. It is delightful, with an excellent selection of books by Mississippi authors and art of local artists.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. They are more spacious.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cynthia M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

LOVE, love, love The Alluvian Hotel! You feel as if you are stepping into a New York hotel in the middle of Mississippi. The Alluvian also has a spa (that I visit often) that is lovely. The Sweet Tea Massage is my favorite. A MUST is to also take Viking Cooking School classes-fun to do with friends. Just a FUN time! The service is great & the food is terrific! Highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stay for one night and this hotel really impressed. Very warm welcome. Happy with everything about the room - very spacious, including the bathroom with huge walk in shower. All the amenities - coffee maker, hairdryer, iron, even a chocolate on the pillow! We enjoyed our traditional Southern breakfast of cheese grits, bacon, biscuit and fruit. There's a cute courtyard out the back with fairy lights, a nice spot for a glass of wine.

Only negative was we did not feel the hotel fitted in well with its surroundings. We assume they are looking to improve tourism in the area, but apart from the hotel, spa and gift shop, we found little else to do in the town, and it seemed very run-down.

Room Tip: Have a room overlooking the courtyard and you can hear the trickling of the water fountain, very rel...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sarah M
Mill Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

From the moment we stepping into the lobby until we left, a few days later, to return home, the staff made us feel like long lost friends.

When we wanted to go somewhere, they gave us perfect directions and suggestions.

Everything about our experience made us smile and we're still smiling as we remember our time there.

The next time we visit Greenwood, it's the only place we'll consider staying.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Winchester UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

We spent one night at The Alluvian Hotel in Greenwood. Never again. The Hotel itself was clean and well cared for BUT the food was appalling. We booked a meal in the main Restaurant for the evening we arrived. I ordered half a chicken with a green salad. My husband had steak. I had eaten a couple of mouthfuls and was about to take another mouthful, but when I dug my fork in red blood oozed out. It had not been cooked completely through. It was very off-putting. The chicken was taken back to the kitchen and ten minutes later it was brought back out to me. This time over cooked and dry. My husband had finished his meal while I sat and waited for mine. We had expected bread to be put on the table BUT instead there were individual wrapped packs of crackers. Perhaps you might expect to get crackers in a road-side diner, but certainly not in that type of Hotel. Unbelievable. The next big disappointment was the breakfast. The room had no atmosphere whatsoever, bare tables and a miserable choice of food. Appalling. Breakfast is always something we look forward to on holiday and sets you up for the day ahead. All-in-all we were very pleased to leave.

Room Tip: Rooms are fine but the food is dreadful
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jane B
New Orleans, LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

This was a gorgeous hotel & the rooms were exquisite. The bed is plush & comfy. Hot breakfast buffet was included, & had great selection. Aside from the Viking cooking school and store across the street not much was going on in Greenwood during our weekend stay. We were surprised to find many stores were closed on Friday afternoon & Saturday morning.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenwood
Hampton Inn Greenwood
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winona North
Comfort Suites Greenwood
Comfort Suites Greenwood
#1 of 6 in Greenwood

Been to Alluvian Hotel? Share your experiences!