“BEST HOTEL IN AMERICA.”
Review of Alluvian Hotel

Alluvian Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Greenwood
Reviewed August 18, 2012

it has actually been put as one of the top 100 hotels in the world. the alluvian, in the south's best city, is owned by the creator of viking. Gardinas is great food and service. Go to the cooking school and viking store!!! you can even buy the famous alluvian pillows, sheets, and robes at the store. Great hotel. BEST SLEEP YOU WILL EVER HAVE GUARANTEED.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of Howard street. Always understand they see thousands of people and arou...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 6, 2012

I've been meaning to write this review....but have been busy in wine country, so back to business. I was at the Alluvian in May for a weekend. I had heard such wonderful things, so booked a package along with massages & facials.
We excitedly greeted the lady at the front desk to find the rudest person I've ever encountered at a hotel. We smiled & continued to try & inquire about our room & a few other questions....just RUDE. I was hontesly shocked. They obviously don't really care if people visit their hotel or not because the second lady at the front desk was rude as well.
The spa services were fine & the girls in the spa were very pleasant.
Dinner at Giardina's was just ok. Our server was delightful, the food was nothing special. The manager made up for our champagne never being delivered to our room with a bottle of J & he went above & beyond to make the meal enjoyable.
The property has beautiful decor, but on a busy weekend the piano bar area is closed down & there is no bar service in the terrace area. This was confusing, as everyone had to cram into the tiny bar & lobby area.
If you want your luggage delivered to your room.....well, I called down three times, we would still be waiting on that I think.
Seems this hotel has potential but they need some tips on customer service.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank tootlepops
Reviewed June 28, 2012

My husband, a Greenwood native, remembered well the old Hotel Irving. We heard that it had been completely gutted and renovated to accommodate Viking Appliance dignitaries in town for business. In town for a class reunion, we chose to experience a stay at the Alluvian after hearing rave reviews from countless friends who had chosen it as a destination stay for its fabulous spa experience and wonderful kitchen. We were not disappointed. Our corner room was spacious, luxurious and beautifully appointed. Fresh flowers every where, in the reception hall and sitting area, added a touch of class to the plush atmosphere. Denise and the entire crew at the front desk were so very attentive and welcoming. Breakfast was divine and plentiful; my scrambled eggs were perfectly fluffy. Torina who oversees operations in the Terrace Room, on the 4th floor, was most efficient and went out of her way to accommodate our requests. Even though it was pretty warm, we enjoyed sitting on the patio under the fan. Bar tender Abe can mix the best drinks. A GHS Alum he had the perfect stories to tell as he deftly managed the orders of a big and thirsty crowd. When I called the reception desk after checking out, looking for an item I inadvertently left behind in my room, Robert, head of housekeeping, located it called me back the next day and put it in the mail for me. We really appreciated the special way we were catered to. We had a real fun class reunion and staying at the Alluvian made the event even more memorable. A definite well kept secret, the Alluvian rivals with the finest hotels in New York, Chicago, LA and Europe!

Room Tip: Corner room #308 was perfect!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2012

If your travel plans take you through Greenwood MS, stop in for a night at the Alluvian. This hotel owned by the founder of Viking appliances located here also in greenwood is a little secret for the area. The hotel was renovated and recreated to a accommodate special Viking Appliance dignitaries. It is open to the public though. Fred Carl and his wife have single handedly attempted to bring back the town. Unfortunately like the town, Viking has had some hard time in recent years. But if you have time in your trip to stop through Greenwood it will be worth your time to give the Alluvian a stay. The hotel could be considered 4 start. It is a great value. Checkout the small bar in the early evening, you may even find Fred dining with his wife.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Keldo22
Reviewed May 11, 2012

on our girls trip we stayed at the Alluvian not only to enjoy the comfort but for a little taste of family history. A family membe had lived there many yeats ago when he was a young traveling man in Mississippi- we have pictures from its early days so we could really see the change.
Our room was lovely as well as the people at the desk. The morning bkft was sooooooooo good and we enjoyed sitting out on the patio. Would go back anytime..

Room Tip: don't worry if all they have is handicap rooms- take on they are huge!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank onthego86
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We probably wouldn't have stayed in Greenwood on our recent ramble through this part of the South, except for the enticing reviews of the Alluvian. We were very glad we made the stop. The Alluvian is a beautiful and classy hotel with a great restaurant and other amenities as well. we loved our room on the 4th floor overlooking the historic town. The room was large, the bed very comfortable and the bathroom, with great showe,r amazing. We were sorry we could only stay one night.

The town is full of interesting and beautiful historic builidings but is very quiet and in the process of being revitalized. Yet, there are some nice restaurants and several small but nice stores. I think many of the people here come for the Viking cooking school. Even though we were here on a Monday night, the hotel, bar and restaurant were busy.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I was looking for a quiet upscale weekend stay. I wasn't disappointed because room 312 was very luxurious. The Alluvian is a discreet clean hotel. No tacky brochures or extrenious decor. The front desk clerk and the baggage attendants were pleasant. I thought the curly haired bartender was helpful. They provide a full complimentary breakfast. I thought the reading material in the entertainment room was a nice touch. Private parking with no hassle exit was nice. Very happy to have spent my anniversary there! I have one idea for them from another hotel: rooms never have enough sugar or cream with the coffee maker, so move the Kerig to the armoire and have a drawer with cream, sugars, and many choices of coffees like emeril's blend. That was an extra touch I have never seen at another hotel. Other than that Top Notch!

Room Tip: Corner room or courtyard view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenwood
2 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winona North
Comfort Suites Greenwood
Comfort Suites Greenwood
#1 of 6 in Greenwood

Been to Alluvian Hotel? Share your experiences!