“We loved this hotel and would recommend it hightly”
Review of Alluvian Hotel

Alluvian Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Greenwood
Reviewed August 25, 2011

The hotel is very modern, with marble and chrome. The rooms were very large and lavishly appointed. Really nice linens and the bathroom was hugh. Lots of extras. Bountiful breakfast in a lovely room. The parking is in the back of the hotel, which is not marked. Just pull up to the guard rails and they'll raise.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank msbelle

Reviewed May 30, 2011

I had never stayed at the Alluvian before last month, but I had been to meetings and conferences there. I work in tourism and have spent a large part of the last decade promoting the Mississippi Delta. However, the Alluvian was not what I had been told. First of all, the night I arrived and showered to go to dinner I picked up the in-room hair dryer and it promptly fell apart in my hand. Luckily, it was not yet plugged in because wires were hanging and exposed! The next day when the housekeeper came, she didn't even bother to make the bed but rather simply turned it down as one would in the evening. The throw and lounging pillows were tossed in a chair by the window. Additionally, there was a used coffee cup with stirrers, empty sweetener and creamer packs just left sitting on the bathroom counter... unwashed, untouched. The garbage can in the bathroom was not emptied either morning, and the sink area was spotted with water and barely wiped down.
I, too, tried to get something to eat after 8 p.m. to no success. Gardinia's was no longer serving, so I called the desk to see if there was any sort of food delivery or pick up available. I was told that there were places on the highway, but having had some wine I did not want to drive. I asked if a cab or a hotel shuttle was available and was told there was neither. This is not the sort of service one would expect for the rates commanded by the Alluvian. It is beginning to look worn and run down, and the service is indifferent at best. It's a disappointment to realize a business that was once touted as a shining star in the Delta has lost most of its luster.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
7  Thank Beanoblues
Reviewed May 22, 2011

This is very nice hotel for the Delta. I found it to be what I expected being from a larger city. The spa messed up our reservation and didn't really seem to care, this was the main reason for our trip and was very upsetting.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed May 17, 2011

Made reservations for Giardina's at the Alluvian Hotel. Confirmation number in hand. They were closed! Mothers Day Brunch with my Mom and sister. Very appologetic later over the phone when the general manager called me. Said he would send vouchers for a stay and dinner. Thats now been over two weeks. Don't bother. Poor service. Poor customer care follow up. Greenwood is a great town, just find another hotel and restaurant.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank barjlaz
Reviewed March 29, 2011

I've stayed there twice for business. Great hotel. Very small. Service was good and very friendly and personable. Highly recommend for short getaway. Probably only 1 night though because there's nothing else to do in Greenwood, MS. 2 or 3 great restaurants in the area. The restaurant in the hotel, however, was outstanding. I think it was called the Gardania or something like that. Only place to stay for business in area unless you want a Motel 6 or something. I'd do an overnight stay with my wife there. Great spa across the street but very expensive.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank MAC3840
Reviewed December 29, 2010

This past summer I booked a reservation for my wife and two kids to attend an annual party, visit family over the holidays and stay at The Alluvian. When I called they had two king sized bed rooms which I booked for a two night stay. When we arrived, a surly desk clerk named Margaret informed me that our reservations were not in the computer. I asked her to check other spellings of my name and the reservation appeared nowhere. The only thing that was available were two king sized bedrooms for a one night stay, which I accepted. After checking in, neither Margaret nor the two bellboys who were watching offered to assist us with our bags. They watched silently as I wheeled a luggage cart outside and then back in.

The next morning, at 11:55 -- five minutes before the 12:00 noon checkout -- I called to request a late checkout, a request I thought was entirely reasonable in light of the fact that our reservation had been lost in the first place. After trying to explain that I was thirty miles away visiting with family and that our daughter would be at a luncheon until 1:30, now infamous Margaret (when she answered I suspected my request would be in vain) informed me that we could have no delayed check out. She interrupted me when I tried to explain that I was not even in town and then hung up on me. I called back and asked to speak to a manager and was informed that all managers were at lunch and that none was available. When my wife attempted to enter the room at approximately 12:20, the card key did not work. When I arrived at 1:00 p.m., I learned that our luggage had been cleared out of the rooms in our absence.

Never before have I been treated this way at any hotel, much less one that supposedly prides itself in southern hospitality. When I did find a manager at 1:05, all she could say was that there was a policy of not allowing late check-outs.

Needless to say, the service at this supposedly luxurious hotel was the worst I have ever endured.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
10  Thank IHATETheAlluvian
Reviewed November 22, 2010

Stayed a Saturday night while doing my Delta Blues thing, so I booked the Blues Package where for $250 you receive room, 2 tickets to BB King's museum in Indianola, John Hurt's Avalon Blues CD, a bag and most importantly a mug that says "Every day I have the Blues". I always wanted one of these.
On arrival - which was early the receptionist kindly arranged for the package to be available so my new found blues companion and I could go to the museum, a member of staff got my bags from the car and put them in the room and off we went. I will note that I was impressed with the size of the room, bathroom especially and the bed was outstanding.
Everything I would look for was taken care of, bathroom amenities, coffee, robes, ironing so I was well set for the evening. That evening I ate in the hotel restaurant which had a great server and the food really did hit the spot. The bar was ok with a good atmosphere and I made some interesting new friends fromt the wedding party in the main room. The next morning I paid the fitness room a visit and enjoyed the breakfast while looking at the large amount of hangovers. It is OK, even if you don't like bisuits and gravy.
The only con's are that the car park was full and the bar staff were surly to begin with but calmed down when it wasn't so busy. I attach some phographs so TA users can see what it looks like, I drove past twice as signage on the property is a little scarce. I would return as it was a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Spiderpig41
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenwood
2 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winona North
Comfort Suites Greenwood
Comfort Suites Greenwood
#1 of 6 in Greenwood

Been to Alluvian Hotel? Share your experiences!