“Another 'Five Star' Hampton Inn”

Hampton Inn Greenville
Ranked #1 of 5 Greenville B&B and Inns
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Another 'Five Star' Hampton Inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2010

Room was nice and a grade above typpical high standards of a Hampton Inn. Night manager upon check in played a perfect part in 'punked' type joke on me that some of my colleagues roped her in to pariticpate. It made a funny respite from a long travel day.
One thing I did notice was the staff in the morning were loud and visibly complaining about working condtions and a run-in with a customer. Very unlike the majority of Hampton Inn staff - maybe there was a reason for her being upset, but not behind the front desk with a full breakfast crowd in sight and earshot.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Hortkie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2009

when it comes to the chain hotels- and I stay in a lot of them- usually newer is better and this is one of the newer, better Hampton Inns. Hampton is my preferrede business travel chain- better b'fast that most, better coffe and there is always a TV channel guide in the room. Why everyone doesn't do that baffles me!

Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank 2ta
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2009

Enjoyed our stay. Staff was very friendly. The free breakfast had more than I had expected.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2009

Nice, pleasant and friendly staff. Rooms are spacious and clean. Enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank LBW88
Mobile, AL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2009

When planning our trip to Greenville,MS - I selected the Hampton Inn based on the reviews of other travelers but also because I often stay at Hampton Inn so there is a certain standard I've come to expect from them. They were not the least expensive hotel in Greenville, but I felt confident in my selection for the quality of service and accommodations that would be provided. I have to say on one count I was disappointed.

As is the case with almost every Hampton Inn that I have every stayed in, the hotel itself was lovely. It's located on a main highway and yet set back from the road so that it is easy to find and yet from the inside it is practically noiseless. The lobby was clean and comfortable, the pool looked very nice, and the room themselves while not the largest rooms I've ever seen were more than comfortable and accommodating. I will mention that in the room description it said that the bathroom was equipped with a bathtub with a rounded shower rod to allow for light, etc and that was not the case - it was just shower. However, the shower was roomy, had excellent water pressure, and it had one of those lovely shower heads that allows you to control what kind of water stream it will produce.

My disappointment from this Hampton Inn is entirely in the service provided which I find to be exceptionally disappointing since it is the one aspect of a hotel stay that the staff has complete control over. When I checked in for my three day stay, I gave the lady at the front desk my name and she gave me something to sign and a key and then put her head back down to review her computer monitor. I wasn't given friendly parting words, or given a nudge on how to locate my room, so I asked where my room was and the response was an exasperated sigh as she indicated where the elevators were. Quite frankly, I was willing to chalk this up to a bad day or perhaps the staff preparing for a large group. (It was a Thursday afternoon when I checked in.) However, the next morning on the way out of the hotel for the morning, I stopped by the front desk because we were short towels and my treatment was the same. I explained that there were two of us and we only had towels for one person and the response I got was clicking on the keyboard and then I was told that my room was a king size room so it HAD towels for two people. I assured her that though it should've had towels for two, it didn't but if they could get that fixed, I would be most appreciative. Quite honestly I was really confounded that this was something I even needed to debate with her, if she felt I was incorrect couldn't she have just asked housekeeping to check on it? Is that really something you debate with the guest? I have to say of all the staff I interacted with, the housekeeper was the most pleasant, later that afternoon we were back when she stopped by and brought two sets of fresh towels.

Though I didn't talk to the front desk staff again, the other quirks that occurred during my stay were all service related. For the course of my stay I opened the door every morning and not once did I have the USA Today that I paid for waiting for me, after the first day I thought perhaps they were in a stack downstairs where there would be one for the taking. I never found the USA Todays, I saw one the entire time I was there - it had clearly been rifled through and was next to the front desk. The breakfast, as was noted by another traveler, is not on par with the breakfasts I've had provided at other Hampton Inns, for example there is only one "hot" serving dish. The first day I got downstairs towards the end of breakfast so when the biscuits were hard and cold and there was very little sausage to speak of, I chalked it up to getting downstairs too late (my fault, not theirs). However, the next day I got downstairs shortly after breakfast has been put out and it was slim pickings again! The heated serving dish was half eggs and half gravy, but the eggs were almost gone and the biscuits were fairly tough. (I'm wondering if they were heated in a microwave?) I sat down and read for a while, thinking surely they would be putting out more food but when they came to inspect the breakfast offerings they didn't see the need to put anything else out, so I suspect that in addition to limited offerings the "first come, first serve" attitude also makes this breakfast seem like a pale shadow of the offerings from other hotels.

Does the Hampton Inn Greenville provide you with a clean, safe, place to stay? Absolutely. Would I stay there again? Sure, but next time I will "waive" my USA Today since I don't expect to be getting it anyway and I'll make other breakfast arrangements. I would also advise travelers to be aware before you book that if you are looking for the service that you might typically expect at a Hampton Inn - you are sure to be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Slaughterj
Manhattan, KS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2009

Nice, Clean & Comfortable. I would recommend Hampton Inn to anyone who wants a great bed in a clean motel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2008

I like the fact that this hotel was off the main drag but still in sight of it. It was quiet as a result. Breakfasts were more basic than I needed and I have had better at other Hampton Inns.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenville
Holiday Inn Express Greenville
#1 of 2 in Lake Village
Greenville Inn & Suites
Greenville Inn & Suites
#3 of 5 in Greenville

Been to Hampton Inn Greenville? Share your experiences!