“Yuck! Yuck! Yuck!”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

I have never left a review for any food place....until now! I could go on about the shocking/rude service but everyone else whos left a review so far has been pretty precise. I will state the incompetence of one of the waitresses who needs to go back to serving at a fast food joint - she clearly has NO waitressing experience or manners or a clue as to what's she's doing actually.
The food (if that's what you can call it).
Dish 1: Vegi stack "Hello???..Taste???" - Completely flavourless. It was like eating chunky air. Couldn't eat it..yuck!
Dish 2: Pasta with sloppy/watery sauce & a couple of bits of seafood - like a cheap packet mix.
Kids: Stifling hot slop drowned in cheese. Who gives a child a boiling cauldron? Too hot for even an adult to touch.
We WONT be back.
Please do yourself a favor & go elsewhere...anywhere.
For families, we have been to Wanneroo Tavern (Stringy bark) & Merriwa, both of these have good food, entertainment & kids playground & playroom.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Against our better judgement, we decided to give this place another chance. BIG MISTAKE! We never received our orders, husband had to go and ask where they were. No apology was given & he was simply told the kitchen is working on it. An hour after ordering, food finally arrived! Not good eating late being a Sunday night ( school night ) and our 3 boys were absolutely starving, toddler was getting really restless. One of our orders was wrong and our son ate it as he couldn't stand for another lengthy wait. Greek salad was absolutely drowning in dressing-really over the top! Made it in edible! This is our local, we've been a few times and each visit the service and food quality has been on the decline. Menu has gotten worse, even less on there now which I didn't think was possible. And the food on the menu hasn't changed in years! Better management is seriously needed, friendlier more efficient staff & owner needs to address all issues!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

the chef is a friend of a friend, however this had no bearing on my review, the food was pretty decent and price of the food is not too bad either, the beer however at 52 dollars (£31) for 2x pints of Stella and 1x pint Becks both on draft is pretty steep, bar area was pretty noisy during our visit, this is why plenty of house gatherings are done nowadays in Auz

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have been here more than 10 times and every time is decent pub style food. You order your drinks at the bar and you order your food at the bar so you don't need much interaction with the staff, but they always say hello and clear the plates nicely. The prices of the menu and weeknight meal deals are all good value the serves are quite large though!!
The chicken FILO is a favourite, along with the roast dinner and child's lasagne.

Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

We are locals to the whale and ale and enjoy going as a family on a regular basis. While I still enjoy the food especially the seafood platter for 2 (minus the nz mussles, would be better if they used local ) I think the food and service has gone down hill a little. Im not sure if there has been a change in chef and manager recently but I would still recommend this pub for a nice family meal. The kids meals are great however again the size has changed lately, they used to be a much better size. I recommend the lasagna...huge and my kids love it. Make sure you try the seafood platter. Its a bargain for the price and very yummy, not your typical fried mess. The selection is awesome! I think I have been spoilt by how amazing it was in the past because although I say it has gone downhill I still like it most compared to all our other locals!!