“This Is NOT a Full Service Hotel!!”

Candlewood Suites Flowood
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Flowood
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights June 5-7. 2014. Nice size room with full-size refrigerator and stove even though I had no need of them. However, the bed spread had food stains on it. Decided not to say anything as I remove bed spreads in hotels anyway. Needed ice to replenish a cooler, so went in search of an ice machine. Finding none, I inquired at the front desk about where to find ice. Was told they did not have an ice machine, but was told I had a conventional ice-maker in the refrigerator in my room. I checked the ice-maker only to find it turned off and no ice. Went back to the front desk and the receptionist said she could provide me ice from the employees ice-maker if I brought a container to place it in. I returned with the container and was given the equivalent of about one tray of ice.

Having been gone all day the following day, we returned to our room around 5:00 pm and found the beds had not been made nor the room and bathroom maintained in any way. I called the front desk to ask if housekeeping would provide standard room maintenance. Was advised that this was an extended stay hotel and sheets were changed every 6 days or we could bring our sheets to the front desk in 3 days to be replaced. I advised the receptionist that nowhere on their signage or web site does it say they are an extended stay facility. She agreed with me.

While I have no trouble making my bed at home, I expect a little pampering when I travel. Had the hotel publicized their policies I would have selected another hotel as there were plenty to choose from in the area. Even Motel 6’s provide basic services and amenities.

I have no problem with extended stay facilities (use them sometimes on business trips), but I thought I was booking a full service hotel and no where do they say they’re not. At best, their actions were misleading; at worse, deceitful. Candlewood is providing a disservice to its customers, both those seeking an extended stay facility and those who are looking for a full service facility. They need to clearly state their policies.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank MikeinBL
David P, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Flowood, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share with us the experience you encountered during your stay. We value all responses both good and unfortunately sometimes not so good, but it is truly comments of this nature which help us improve and hopefully exceed our guest expectations. Rest assured, your comments have been noted and we are doing everything within our power to correct the deficiencies you and your family experienced during your stay with us.

From all of us here at Candlewood Suites Flowood we extend our sincerest of apologies.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I am a State Law Enforcement Officer and travel to this area frequently. This place is by far my favorite place to stay in the Jackson, MS area. Great staff, great hotel. I travel solo and the room is roomy, clean and good for the business traveler.

Room Tip: Rooms on north side are quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed here for a week

Pros
- Close to all restaurants and stores - 2 minutes
- Close to airport - 10 minutes
- Stayed in suite with separate bedroom. Living room sofa opens to a bed which is where my daughter slept
- Clean
- Staff was very friendly and accommodating.

Cons
- Maid service: It seems that for long stays, the rooms are only cleaned once a week. So the room was not cleaned and the beds were not made our entire stay. Not a huge deal but it would have been nice if this had been disclosed to us in advance; it was not.
-Towels: Because the rooms are not made up daily, we had to bring used towels down to the desk and exchange them for clean towels every day. Not a huge deal but it would have been nice if this had been disclosed to us in advance; it was not.

Overall: It was fine and a bit cheaper than the Holiday Inn Express next door. I would recommend it with the caveat about the lack of maid service. I am not sure how the maid service works for shorter stays.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Lloyd H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Flowood, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Lloyd H,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service, facilities and the location of the hotel. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the housekeeping services may have caused you. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Janice A

Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

We loved our stay here. Everyone was so nice, the room was clean, and beautiful. We couldn't have asked for better. The only thing we questioned was the price difference between this Candlewood Inn and the one located in Pearl, MS. It is just as nice and about 15$ cheaper a night. Never the less, we loved it here, and we will be staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 25, 2013

First I'd like to say that the night shift clerk was very helpful, professional, kind and welcoming. My check in was efficient and I was given great directions on where to park and the easiest and closest route to my room. I was a late arrival as I was traveling across country with my daughter, putting in long days driving. We were exhausted. Upon arrival into the room we found it to be substandard on cleanliness. There was a dirty sock laying on the floor next to the tv stand, cut toe nails next to the night stand, the carpet was not vacuumed, and there were mascara smears on the pillow and top sheet. I surmised that the marks were stains and they could not be removed. I used a wet wash cloth and the marks were easily removed. It was apparent that at least this particular pillow case and sheet were not laundered in between guests. On the bright side, I did do a check of the room for bed bugs and NONE were found so that's a BIG plus!!!! I advised the day clerk of the condition of my room and she stated she would notify the head house keeper. The friendliness of the night staff was not carried through to day shift... I would stay here again since they have managed to remain free of bedbugs... That's a hard status to keep these days.. Just check your sheets so you aren't unknowingly sharing them with strangers!

Room Tip: There is a warehouse on the back side of the hotel that run fork lifts outside at night so if you...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DTravelPro
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Flowood, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear DTravelPro,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff.

However, We’re sorry you received poor service from housekeeping which was unacceptable. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stay here often for work and always enjoy my stay. From the staff to the convenience to shops (Target, Best Buy, Hobby Lobby, Kohl's, Dick's, Belk), it one of my favorite places to stay. The kitchen is always great if you need to cook in the room or bring home leftovers!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 5, 2013

As an experienced traveller and businessman, I have personally and professionally never been so viciously attacked in all my life (literally). I was asked by an employee to intervene with a guest who I later found out they, the staff, knew was trouble and was beaten savagely for my kindness.
The police told me after I went by ambulance to the emergency room that they thought I was going to die of a stroke.
Could I ever feel safe in this place, ever again? No way! They don't care about guest safety. As a matter of fact, after the attack the staff was instructed not to talk to me. I was beaten, lonely and isolated.
Still recovering.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank dvstoltz
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Flowood, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear dvstoltz,

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. Guest comfort and safety are of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a secure environment. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Lera P