“Great for a date night!”
Review of Smith

Smith
Ranked #5 of 82 Restaurants in Corinth
Cuisines: American
Reviewed January 14, 2014

This past Friday night my husband surprised me and our 2 girls (ages 9 and 6) and took us to Smith. He called ahead of time to make sure that this trendy spot had a kids menu and we were delighted when they did!

The atmosphere is GREAT...music is good, we were seated by a friendly hostess and our server was also very friendly. He ordered the blackened catfish on greens and thought that it was great. I ordered the shrimp and grits which were also very good. The food had it's share of "heat" in it...which is where the problem came in for our daughters. Our 6 year old ordered a burger and it was more like a "black and bleu" burger and was WAY too spicy for a child's taste buds...even the pickle was spicy.

There was a lady walking around talking to patrons who I'm assuming was either the owner or one of the owners...and she noticed that our tea glasses were empty. That is a "biggie" for my husband...he can't stand his glass getting empty.

Price was moderate...my Shrimp and Grits entrée was $16 I think that his was around $14. The kids meals were around $5.

All and all, the food was good. Not quite sure that I would recommend it for those with children that would be eating off of the menu but that depends on your child's taste buds. We will definitely go back but this time I think that it will be for a date night :)

1  Thank AmandaE424

Reviewed January 2, 2014

After reading the reviews here, I was looking forward to visiting Smith.It is located in an old building downtown, and is tastefully appointed. We liked the background music, which was sixties. It was a slow night for them, with few patrons. We were warmly greeted, and seated quickly in a cozy booth. Our server brought our drinks, and the most delicious cornbread I have ever eaten. I should have been adventerous, and tried the blackened catfish over turnip greens, topped with crawfish ettoufee. I instead ordered cucumber salad with grilled chicken. My husband ordered cobb salad and a cup of baked potato soup. My salad was very small, and the tomatoes and cucumbers were not fresh. The grilled chicken must have been cooked earlier and refrigerated. It was pretty tasteless. My husband's salad was large, and he said it was good. I tasted the baked potato soup, and it was quite good. I would be willing to try this restaurant again, but I would not try any of the salads.

Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Wife and I had lunch having prime rib sandwich and chicken salad on tortella. Both were excellent. The resturant is in an older building but the owners have not taken advantage of the possibilities thus the decor is drab. But went there for the food and will return.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I visited Smith during lunch about a month ago. I had the Prime Rib sandwich and it was fantastic. I returned today (12/4/2013) and had the Burger which is infused with bacon with your choice of cheese. Again, the lunch was excellent. I travel through Corinth about once a month on business and i will be making this a regular visit on my schedule. The atmosphere is perfect for a working lunch as this was a printing company ( and a bank before that) and the "industry" feel is apparant. The layout of the booths and tables is perfect and plenty of room to conversate business without being overheard. This is the first place where i have actually broke a sweat while eating the homemade pickles! You must try!!!

2  Thank Benny K
Reviewed November 16, 2013

During a trip to Memphis, my husband and I stopped at Smith. in downtown Corinth. No, the period after Smith is not a typo, that is the name. It is a reminder that Smith. is located in an old printing company building. Let me tell you a little about the building because it adds to the charm. The dining room consists of dark wood and black and is simple in design. To the left they have built a new wine cellar between the building and the bank next door. They cleverly left the original windows there so that you can see the wine cellar and all the bottles of wine! They also left the original brick wall too.

On the opposite side is the kitchen with a paned window allowing the diner to see the kitchen. There is a cute sign that says "Please don't tap on the glass, it bothers the animals"!

Upstairs they have added a bar which includes a balcony. I would think that they add tables and chairs out there during warmer months. There is also a couple of banquet rooms up there as well.

Melissa was our server and she informed us that they have only been open since June and the building had previously been vacant for years. It is exciting to see vacant buildings being put to such good use, especially in a downtown area. Melissa was very friendly and attentive. She used an iPad mini to take our order and then used it to swipe our credit card at the end...technology! Oh, and our menus were on a clip board...what a clever idea!

Cajun music played as we reviewed the music and I noticed several Cajun dishes as well. I ordered the blacken catfish with collards and étouffée, how could I resist with Cajun music in the background? My husband opted for the fried turkey club sandwich with sweet potato fries. We were promptly served slices of corn bread with roasted corn butter, a different twist on butter!

My selection arrived very nicely plated with the heavily seasoned catfish fillet on top of the collard greens and a bit of étouffée dripping off the side. My husband's sandwich was huge. I sampled the turkey and didn't find it special; the sweet potato fries were good. My dish was very good. It is spicy though, it you don't like spicy dishes, you should avoid this one.

I wished we had room for dessert because they had some nice ones. The special was a fried green tomato grilled cheese with roasted tomato soup. Sounds great but I didn't get to sample it, oh well, maybe next time!

1  Thank Hrpamw