“Unfortunately, it was only for one night”

Shadowlawn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 5 Columbus B&B and Inns
Rome, Italy
“Unfortunately, it was only for one night”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We were lucky enough to spend one night at Shadowlawn - it was one of the highlights of our trip to the southern states. Bernette could not have been more welcoming and helpful. A really magnificent house.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong, they are all superb.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Clinton, Mississippi, United States
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I am not sure how to begin to describe our experience. How do you explain such a perfect experience? In all our travels we have never felt more warmly welcomed and genuinely cared for. We stayed at Shadowlawn on the second night of our honeymoon, after staying in a much larger, well known B&B in Natchez the night before. Our experience in Natchez was just terrible, but our night at Shadowlawn more than made up for the disappointment the night before! When we arrived, we were taken aback by the sheer beauty of the home, and we had not even stepped inside yet! There were pink rose petals still scattered on the walkway from a wedding that had taken place the day before, and I felt like a princess walking a path of rose petals up to this gorgeous mansion! We were warmly welcomed by Burnette, the owner, and were immediately treated like royalty. She began showing us around the house and we struck up a conversation as if we were old friends. We mentioned that we were going to tour Friendship Cemetery in Columbus and she told us many interesting facts about the place that we never would have known, thereby making our tour of the cemetery even more exciting! She shared interesting facts about the original owners of Shadowlawn that I found fascinating, as my husband and I are both history buffs and love Southern history. We chatted for so long that she invited us to sit in the parlor with her and continue our conversation and we ended up chatting for about an hour before going up to our room. We instantly clicked with Burnette and we just adored her! She is the most fun and interesting person to talk to. She truly enjoys getting to know each guest that enters her home and she treats them like old friends from the start. It was wonderful to feel so welcomed. After good conversation with our new friend, she led us up to our room. We stayed in the Victorian King suite, and it was just gorgeous! The photos you will see on the web do not do it justice! It was lovely and very romantic. The bed was so very comfy, and the bath with whirlpool jets was just what I needed after a long days travel. Burnette was extremely accomodating and helped us with anything we needed. She was very worried about me since I have some dietary issues (Lactose intolerance and other stomach problems) and she offered to make me something different because she was afraid the menu she had planned for us would bother me. She went above and beyond to try to accomodate my needs, even though what she cooked did not end up bothering me at all. She was just so sweet and genuinely worried about me! I would never expect that in a hotel or other B&B. She is truly one of a kind. Now...the breakfast....how can I even describe something so wonderful? Burnette is an AMAZING cook. She served us the Monte Cristo sandwiches, and they were divine! The food was delicious, but the presentation and the atmosphere were beyond amazing! We sat at the lovely dining table and were served on gorgeous place settings with beautiful flowers all around us. As we sat down to dine, there was soft romantic music playing in the background. It was everything I imagined that a honeymoon should be! And Burnette even had a special surpise for me at Breakfast. We had talked so much about Friendshp cemetery and the Weeping Angel in our conversations the night before, and when I came down for breakfast the next morning, Burnette smiled and said "I have a surprise for you, go look at your place setting at the table." What a wonderful surprise to find a book about Friendship Cemetery at my place setting!!! She had borrowed the book from her friend after our conversation the night before, and she let me look at it during breakfast before my trip to the cemetery! It was a wonderful surprise! Burnette sat with us during breakfast and talked with us some more. Again, something I would never expect from a B&B, as I have stayed in many many B&B's throughout my travels, but this place is above and beyond what you'd ever dream. As we talked, we got to know this wonderful lady more and realize more and more how wonderful she is and we just adore her! We talked and talked like old friends and ended up talking at the breakfast table for about two hours. Yet we were in no hurry to leave, we were actually quite sad to leave and get back on the road. We hugged her and told her we would return soon, and as we drove away from this fairytale, my husband said to me, "Now THAT is everything a bed and breakfast experience should be!!!" Yes, I must agree. Shadowlawn has raised the bar for my husband and I and nothing will every be as lovely, warm and magical as our stay at Shadowlawn. We will return soon and often to this amazing place, and to our dear new friend Burnette, the most wonderful hostess ever!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
ShadowlawnBandB, Owner at Shadowlawn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
You certainly are a writer! Longest review ever! hehe
I am so glad we met your expectations, and exceeded them, as well.
I am happy to be included in your honeymoon memories! Hope to be in your anniversaries, as well! See you again, soon! All God's Blessings to you for a long and happy future together!
Starkville,MS
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We had a small intimate wedding at Shadowlawn. The location is great because out of town guests have the option to stay on-site and a full range of services is available from Shadowlawn. We were able to have the wonderful wedding, a fabulous dinner with our families, and spend an amazing even in elegance - all at one location! Burnette was even responsible for providing us with a special request traditional French wedding cake. We could not be more pleased with the service. It IS a day you remember forever, so you want it to be special. I don't think we could have made a better choice.

Room Tip: While the master suite may seem like a splurge, if you're already paying for a wedding, it's...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Shreveport, Louisiana
Reviewed November 25, 2011

We decided to do a small wedding and found out about Burnette and Shadowlawn through some friends that also got married there. This was the best decision we ever made. Burnette was able to customize our wedding down to the smallest details. She planned and did everything herself: decorations, flowers, catering, cake, and directed the wedding. Although we were glad that everything was taken care of through a single point of contact, we were worried about how the quality of the different things was going to be since it's very difficult for a single person to be an expert on all these areas. Boy where we wrong! Burnette was amazing! She is so talented! The decorations were beautiful, the flowers were amazing, the food was outstanding and the cake was delicious. And she did it all by herself (and with the help of her daughter Liz). The wedding turned out great and all the guests were impressed on how beautiful everything was. Having a night stay included in the price was great because we were able to enjoy the beauty and charm of staying at a B&B on our wedding event. Not only did we have a great wedding, but we also became like family with Burnette. We would definitely recommend the Shadowlawn experience to anyone visiting the Columbus, MS area.

Room Tip: We really like the cottage on the back lawn because it had all the space we needed: living room, kit...
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed November 22, 2011

My husband and I stayed 1 night here with our dog and had a very nice time. The house was gorgeous and breakfast was very fancy and delicious. The location is great and close to everything really. If you want something different and special, this is so much better than just a regular hotel!

Room Tip: probably anything on the second floor is great, also the cottage away from the house is nice if you...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Irvine, California
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Shadowlawn was incredible! Mrs. Avakian was so sweet and made the best breakfasts ever! Very unique and Southern! Staying here was the perfect example of true hospitality! The house was in great condition and in a perfect location. Fun to stay in a true Antebellum home! Staying here made our trip to Columbus all the more amazing!!!

Room Tip: The french room was perfect as it is very spacious, 2 large beds and has an on-suite bathroom
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed July 30, 2011

I visited Shadowlawn in Columbus last week. What an amazing time. Lots of history. Nice that so much of the antebellum architecture of this city is still mostly preserved. Breakfasts were unbelievable! My favorite was the crepes with our choice of filling! The house is large and our hostess took us around to show us the place. Our private bedroom was large with a ceiling fan. It is very private, even though it is a home. Their central air conditioning was on, but we also had an extra a/c in our room for us to adjust if we wanted it cooler than most of the other guests. The room was nicely decorated with very nice antiques and accessories. The bathroom was very clean, which is an important thing to me. This is not my first time at a b&b, but it was one of the best times. I will most definitely be coming back here the next time I am in town. I give my top ratings for Shadowlawn, for sure!

Room Tip: Go for the Victorian room, the bed is ridiculously comfortable and the dual shower is very nice.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends