“A Beautiful Lady”

Ranked #2 of 5 Columbus B&B and Inns
Savannah, Georgia
“A Beautiful Lady”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this very lovely Bed & Breakfast while in Mississippi on business. The inn is filled with exquisite antiques everywhere you look. Jennifer, the innkeeper, did a fabulous job restoring the home to its original splendor. We stayed in the Library room, which was very spacious and comfortable. There is a beautiful courtyard where you can relax and enjoy the fountain and the flowers and a large front porch with lots of comfortable chairs. The inn is conveniently located close to the main street with restaurants and shopping only a short walk away. We will definitely stay at the Painted Lady again should we return to Columbus.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Clare Z
painted41, Owner at Painted Lady of Columbus Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for staying with us while on business. We try to accommodate our professionals as much as we can . We are glad you got to enjoy the relaxing courtyard and the front porch. The pollen is finally gone and the roses are in full bloom. Thank you for such a kind compliment and do come back to see us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Jasper, Alabama
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed at the Painted Lady in Columbus MS for the pilgrimage in April of this year. We booked the rooms ahead. We were aware the rooms were upstairs and they really are, all except one room which is nice but you have to go through a palor that is for the use of all the guests to get to the bathroom which also serves as the public bathroom on the bottom floor for all the guests. The stairs were steep and 20 of them!. Our rooms were nice but overly decorated in our opinion. We did not have a drinking glass in our room but did have coffee outside of the room and got a glass there. The screen on the back door where you have to enter was torn, not looking too good. The front porch was beautiful, but it was difficult to get out the front door and there was a ladder out on the front porch!!!!!

There were NO hangers whatsoever in our closet and when we asked for hangers we were given about six of them and two to three of them were for children's clothes....not much good for us. None of the hangers would accommodate pants.!

We are aware a single mother is running this B & B and she has her hands full as she has other properties.

The first day's breakfast was alright except that we had asked to eat at 8:30 since we were starting the pilgrimage at 9. We came into the dining room at 8:30 and the table wasn't even set. She did get it set and served us. The next day we had again requested breakfast at the same time since we were again going on the pilgrimage. Jennifer was busy trying to get her daughter ready to go for some participation in the pilgrimage and did serve us an egg frittata....it was not cooked hardly at all and our friends would not eat it. We were the only guests in the house the second night and there was only one other couple the first night and they ate granola for breakfast.

I have stayed in worse B & B's....this one was clean and had clean towels and linens, but is too expensive for what it is in Columbus. I will be returning to Columbus the end of this month and staying in another B & B there so will be able to compare.

Room Tip: You can hear the trains from any of the rooms...the downstairs room has to share it bathroom with th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jeannie b
Actually, Painted Lady is not struggling it is alive and doing very well! We are sorry you did not enjoy yourself during pilgrimage and that your standards of a historic bed and breakfast were not met. We try to keep our 1890's home to the period with plush bedding,antiques in every room, custom made drapery, period wallpapers and antique collectibles . Doing otherwise just wouldn't feel right. As for the public bathroom you mentioned downstairs, there is not one. You evidently walked in the Library Suite and used their private restroom! Had you asked me , you could have used the one off of the kitchen in our private quarters. Might I add that all our rooms except Katie's Room have a private bathroom. The parlor that you mentioned having to walk through is a separate room and is off of the main hallway. Yes we do get a workout on those stairs. I am glad you were aware that your room was located upstairs. Wouldn't an elevator be nice in an old house?
Maintaining a B&B/Hotel/Inn is constant maintenance. We were painting the week you stayed with us. We are sorry you had to see the painters ladder on the front porch but I am sure it did not get in the way of you rocking in the antique rocking chairs.
As for your dining experience and not having the table set, we let our guests choose where to sit before we put out all the utensils . We have 2 tables with up to 11 seats. We do hope you enjoyed the candles and lovely flower arrangement that was on the table. As for the food, everyone's taste is different. I serve the most requested recipes and are tested over a 7 year span with no complaints. I am sorry your frittata was not well done. People like them cooked different ways.
Should I clarify the statement you made about the other guests who were staying with us and only had granola? The husband had a fruit course and an egg casserole dish. His wife told me right as I was serving them that she couldn't eat casseroles with eggs in it, so I served her a lovely parfait of layered Greek yogurt, homemade granola and tropical fruit. This is why I need to know in advance of any food allergies or special diets so that I can accommodate our guests.
May I point out that most of the b&b's run in Columbus are by women ,some single and some are widowed. I think to own an establishment and operate it solely by yourself and be successful is a huge accomplishment in life. It's too bad that some people are very negative no matter what you do to make them happy.
TEXAS
Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is without a doubt the best bed and breakfast experience that I have ever had. I took a business trip to Columbus and decided that I didn't want to stay at the cookie-cutter hotels in the area. After performing a search on Expedia I found a profile with photos for The Painted Lady B&B and I was sold. When I arrived I new I made a good choice. Jennifer immediately offered me a cool glass of lemonade and I journeyed up to my room for the night. I was blown away by the ornate antique furniture and paintings. In the morning, Jennifer made me a first class breakfast of prailine waffles, fresh fruit and tea. I would recommend this B&B to anyone!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MIKE M
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My family and I had the pleasure of staying here for the weekend while in town for my Son's wedding. Staying here made a special occasion even more so. The house was magnificent, a great place for a family gathering. We all enjoyed coming downstairs in our comfy bathrobes and being served a wonderful delicious gourmet breakfast, relaxing around a family table in the mornings. Perfect! I can't say enough good things.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Traveling-Pamela
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Myself and two other hosts chose The Painted Lady of Columbus for our good friend's bridesmaids luncheon in January. The event was catered by the Bed and Breakfast which included a tour of the house and the rooms. The food was spectacular and the atmosphere was exactly what we were looking for at the luncheon. All of the attendees commented on how beautiful the table, china and arrangements were at the event. We were all astonished on how beautiful the rooms and amenities were at Painted Lady. Jennifer Miller and her mother, Sandra Upchurch, gave a beautiful account of the history of the house and the amount of work they undertook to complete the renovation. I would highly recommend this charming bed and breakfast. The hospitality is wonderful and the food exceptional!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jeff B
Ackerman, Mississippi
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Because my husband is a Civil War historian, we have been to a number of antebellum bed & breakfasts in a number of states. For our wedding anniversary this year I told him we'd gone far, but never close to our home and I wanted to see Columbus. I found The Painted Lady on line and am so glad I did! We had been there a very short time when we both decided that we like antebellum, but we now have to add Victorian to one of our favorite styles/decor. Jennifer made us feel like family from the minute we arrived. It took me a while to walk through some of the rooms and "ooh" and "aah" over all of the furnishings, not to mention playing with the player piano. My husband was thrilled with the wide screen TV (well disguised) and I was equally thrilled that there was a separate TV in the bedroom that I could watch. We may have been married for 12 years, but that doesn't mean we like to watch all of the same programs, especially when football is on! Jennifer was very sensitive to the fact that my husband has diabetes and she prepared food for us accordingly, as well as giving us a perfect recommendation for our evening meal. As others have noted, her daughter is just as sweet and helpful as Jennifer and a joy to talk to. And the royalty? Why Queen Victoria and Princess Grace, two of the cutest little white dogs you've ever seen, stylishly dressed in matching white sweaters. We are already telling our friends about this B & B and hope to return there soon. An additional bonus for me is that our Extension Office knitting/crochet group might make plans to visit there for a tea party and knit in that wonderful parlor, just as women did over 100 years ago! It can't get much better than that!

Room Tip: I would suggest going on line and you can view each room and the amenities available.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jan B
Mississippi
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is a very charming getaway with beautiful furnishings that takes you back into a time where elegance reigned! Jennifer was a great host and great listener. The french milled soaps were a very nice surprise/treat! Her daughter was even so nice to help bring some articles that we left in the room out to us when it was raining. We were very impressed with that! We can't wait to go back in time again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends