“Bad overpowered by good”

Americas Best Value Inn-Columbus
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed November 9, 2011

To get the bad out of the way, I called this hotel directly and made a reservation. All was set, so the employee told me. We get to the hotel and the poor clerk on duty does not have our reservation. The first employee we talked to flat dropped the ball. There is, thankfully, a room available anyway and so in this case no big deal. From this point on, it only got better. The room was clean and modern, and also had amenities-- fridge, microwave, hair dryer-- I would not expect in a room with such a low rate. My wife even said there was some type of continental breakfast. The area appeared to be safe. The location was convenient. I would without hesitation book here again, although I might require a confirmation number or something of our reservation.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed June 10, 2007

Avoid America's Best Value Inns. They do not value their customers, and in fact, assume that they are liars before they would consider the fact that their employees might have made a mistake. I made a reservation for this hotel using the 800 number. I called to cancel because my flight was delayed and I was not going to be able to drive all the way to Columbus, MS where the hotel is located. I called the 800# to cancel as soon as I was able to turn my phone on once the flight had landed (59 minutes after the cancellation time). The woman I spoke to cancelled the room, assured me that everything was fine and not to worry. She did not inform me that I would be charged. As it turned out, she did not pass the cancellation information on to the hotel in Columbus, and they charged me. She noted in her file that she informed me that I would be charged, which she DID NOT do. Neither America's Best Value Inn corporate, or the hotel itself will refund me. They are making me pay for the mistake of their employee.

Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank JeuneTravel
Reviewed January 2, 2007

My mother’s family still resides in Columbus so I have been here numerous times over the decades. In 2006 I was here for a family reunion and my wife and two children joined me. We stayed at the Wingate Inn which I do highly recommend if you can the rooms at $65/night or less.

On to America’s Best Value Inn. I had to return to Columbus New Year’s day 2007 for a funeral. Since I was going alone, I wanted to save as much money as possible without compromising comfort or safety. After an extensive search and phone calls for best rates I decided to take a chance on Best Value Inn. Their published rate at the time was $55, after a phone call I was able to get $47 per night. I wanted to have microwave and fridge and internet access, all of which were very helpful for saving money and getting directions. There were no reviews so I thought I would help any other travelers to the area.

The rooms have supposedly been remodeled. I would say there are some minor cosmetic things that have been done, but my room is just ok. It is clean; maid service came by early to check on my room. The hotel is fairly quiet; I have not heard anyone through the walls.

The staff is pretty helpful. I was surprised to find out there are no irons, I called the front desk and she promptly brought an iron to me. There were no coffee makers in the room. I am a coffee snob so I was not going to miss hotel generic coffee- try Beans and Cream over on Military Rd, good coffee and nice people.

The web site suggests they have a continental breakfast- that consists of a cereal dispenser, milk and a juice machine. I would suggest taking advantage of the fridge and microwave. Pick up some groceries at the super Wal-Mart and make a quick meal in your room.

I would suggest this hotel to the budget single traveler. Clean basic rooms that served my needs. At $47 a night I did not expect the Hilton or Raddison, so I was ok with everything. Of course I am not that picky. There are cheaper motels in town (Economy Inn) that you may want to avoid.

If you are with your family or young children check out the Wingate. Decent breakfast and indoor pool for the kids.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank doccraw2000