“Their fried rice is the standard by which all others are measured”

Bonsai Japanese Steakhouse
Ranked #20 of 67 Restaurants in Clinton
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed May 19, 2012

We've been several times - always delicious. Their house salad dressing is very tasty - worth buying extra and taking home. And there is nothing like their fried rice, fresh off the grill. Outstanding. Food is consistent, as is the service. An excellent choice.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

Decor new, contemporary design, fun atmosphere. Food good. Service good. Good value. Would eat there again.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

Very good food! Good flavor, fun, good decor, great ambient!

Reviewed January 22, 2012

After being under construction for almost two years, the Bonsai Japanese Steakhouse is finally open in Clinton. A welcome addition to Clinton, which has too few good restaurants. Their location is great - easy on and off from I-20, but for whatever reason, it hasn't been good for 3 previous tennants. I hope this one has the right formula.
The format is pretty typical of Japanese restaurants; one side is the American version of habachi cooking. Nothing particularly original, but usually fun and the food is consistantly good. On the other side of the menu you order off the menu, which includes sushi, sashimi and tempura. At Bonsai they also offer a few fusion dishes which are excellent. On our visit my wife ordered the grilled salmon and I had a lobster and scallp dish. Both were wonderful! The salmon dish, particularly, was exceptional. The food presentation was beautiful.
Bonsai is very tastefully designed and decorated. A cut above the typical Japanese restaurant. It had only been open for a week when we ate there, so the staff was new and overly attentive. I guess that's better than the alternative, and I believe they'll catch on the the fine points of service.
Unfortunately, Clinton doesn't have a track record of supporting restaurants. I hope it will be different with Bonsai. This one is good and deserves to be supported. I recommend it.