“My First Exposure to Real Blues - What an Experience!”
Review of Red's Lounge

Red's Lounge
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Clarksdale
Montgomery Village, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“My First Exposure to Real Blues - What an Experience!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wonderful cousins introduced me to authentic blues while I was visiting Tunica. They took my wife and I to Red's Lounge. Upon arrival, I didn't know what to expect. Outside, Red greeted us and said it was a "juke joint." I nodded in agreement without knowing what that was! If the interior was anything like the exterior, I was concerned as it appears rundown. I was worried it was a firetrap! But once I entered, I immediately became comfortable, As the patrons entered, the atmosphere felt like a family gathering. There were locals as well as visitors from many US states, and even Spain, Germany, and Australia. Watermelon Slim was playing his slide guitar and I was mesmerized by the sound, the beat, and the feelings. My wife and I, and several new friends danced a bit, and the whole experience took shape. Red and the local friends were incredibly gracious and outgoing. We also saw a 14 year old blues guitarist who was fabulous. Later, a large group of young people from Habitat for Humanity came in an enjoyed the event. After nearly four hours of music we departed, but I really did not want it to end. I had discovered a new music, thanks to my cousins, Red, Watermelon Slim, and the friends. Red told us we were "welcome in his house anytime." It is an experience not to be missed. Wonderful place, wonderful music, and even more, wonderful people! Don't miss it.

Visited July 2013

Fayetteville, North Carolina
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Fantastic place.”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

You can smell Red's from a block away with all the barbecue they were cooking just outside the front door (The aroma was intoxicating). Inside we found a fourteen year old guitarist and a thirteen year old drummer who played as though they'd been born with the instruments in their hands and started breathing the blues from that day. Seriously, it was amazing. The place doesn't look like much, but the crowd is as friendly and welcoming as you could ever want. Please go while your in the area. The $7 cover at the door is worth every penny.

Visited June 2013
Brussels, Belgium
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Try to be there when Robert 'Bilbo' Walker plays!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We were lucky enough to be there on the night, (Sunday), when Bilbo Walker played the blues. Amazing stuff in admittedly rather inauspicous surroundings.He is absolutely amazing, even at 75 years of age. If you are in town when he is on, (I believe at the weekend, maybe Sundays)and you like the blues or want to discover them, don't miss him. There is a 7 USD cover charge but it's worth every penny and more.!

Visited May 2013
Apopka, Florida
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“This is the "real deal"”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Red is a character, the music and the crowd is superb. It is small, sometimes too hot inside, sometimes too smokey, but the music is what it is all about.

The famous big name place a half block away owned by the celebrity is nice but one visit to Red's and you will learn what a Juke Joint crowd and music really is.

Red's is not open all the time but Roger or LaLa at Cathead will give you the inside scoop.

I always catch Red's when in Clarksdale.

Visited February 2013
Avon, Colorado
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Juke Joint's Juke Joint”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

It takes perseverance to find the place, courage to walk in and total insensitivity to the Blues to ever leave. Great bluesmen of every stripe play this low-down club regularly and it's all orchestrated by larger than life Red. A great 3 piece blues band the night I spent there with Lucious on the lead guitar, cherubic Kingfish on the rhythm guitar and a 13 year old drummer (watched over by his mother)! An experience unique in my 74 years. Can't possibly describe the decrepitude outside or inside, but the vibe is incredible.

Visited May 2013