“A great place but poor customer service, not nice staff”
Review of Shack Up Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clarksdale
Shack Up Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Clarksdale B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I was hoping to put a great review here as we were expecting this to be one of the nicest places to stay on our trip through the Southern states, but unfortunately it turned out to be a very dissapointing experience. We had booked a shack 2 months in advance but despite several happy promising confirmation emails, upon arrival we were quite bluntly told by the girl at reception the shack was not available due to renovations. So, she told us, we got a shack for 1 night and were supposed to move to a bin the next day. That was not what we had booked so we explained we were a bit surprised and we weren't so happy about it. She did not really seem to understand (or care about) our feelings, the place was full she said, nothing she could do. It wasn't their fault, after all, that the renovations were unfinished.
We had booked the shack for 2 nights so were looking forward to relax and sit on the veranda the next day but that experience was ruined instantly as we were told to check out by 11 AM the next morning.

The next day we went back to reception hoping the owner would be a bit more understanding and helpful as it's just not nice when you arrive somewhere, you've booked something a while ago and then you get something totally different than what you've booked, with no advance notice whatsoever.
Nothing of that. We felt there was very little understanding, hardly any apologies (you know, just say sorry and offer 6 beers, I mean that would have made the world difference already).
Again we were told no shacks available, we could get a discount and move to a bin, or check out. We decided to take the discount and move to a bin, as we wanted to explore Clarksdale.
Fair enough, we got a nice discount. But it wasn't about the money, really. The experience had been spoilt already.

It's a real shame as the place itself is very cool. It's a great concept and they seem to have invested a lot to make it the place it is now. The shacks are great. Very interesting. But unfortunately it happens with these sort of places; great idea, great concept, and then sometimes they become a victim of their own success. It doesn't really matter how friendly are unfriendly your are, as people will come anyway. That's the feeling we are left with. Too bad.

Other than that, Clarksdale was absolutely fantastic and definitely one of the highlights of our trip.The Delta blues museum is truly special, and after a bad start that day we heard there was music in Red's that night so off we went. It was absolutely fantastic!! To see the old blues men playing there was very special and something we will never forget. So I will keep that in my memories of Clarksdale.
#

Room Tip: we stayed one night in the Cadillac shack, great shack! Totally recommended!
1  Thank peertje

Reviewed October 4, 2013

As we did not plan our trip in advance, everything is a surprise. Sometimes less positive , but most of the times thumbs up.
The Shack Up inn is the best in Clarksdale. Thumbs up!
We loved the atmosphere and mussic feel which is all around you. The big place near the bar is actually a sound studio where some great performers had one of their first steps.
Ok the shack up in is not the Ritz but hey, it's the experience and indulge yourself.
Shacks are clean, beds are fine, atmosphere is great!

Room Tip: We stayed at two different shacks. A newer one outside the plantation and the Gunny. We loved the Gu...
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Everyone turns friendly when they stay in the shacks. Its what the Delta's all about! Never meet a stranger. Relaxing and enjoyable is how I see it. The staff is fine. This is not your normal staff so understand this but with the exception of Guy's pissy (needs a vacation) attitude at times they are fine! I will stay there annually for as long as I can drive and lift a beer bottle.

Room Tip: My favorite are Cross roads and Gravy for one couple
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My husband and I got married at the Shack Up Inn on valentine's day this year and it could not have been more perfect for us! If you are looking for a laid back atmosphere and great blues music this will be right up your alley. If you want to be pampered and waited on hand & foot then go to the Peabody. We have already reserved a shack for our anniversary in February. We are from Memphis so it's only about an hours drive and the owners have never been anything but nice. They will not pamper you in any way which is part of the experience of staying in a share cropper shack.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We attempted a stay here a year ago, but they flat out told us that unless we were from New York or LA, they would not reserve anything for us (It was NOT a festival weekend); They would, however, accommodate guests if there happens to be a vacancy that night. They offered no other explanation as to why. We were later told by locals that they like to keep accommodations open for their friends. We decided it was prudent to book elsewhere and not take any chances, Luckily for us, another hotel did recognize that our money was as green as anyone else's, so we booked our stay with them, and Shack Up Inn lost our business.... not that they care.

On our most recent trip here, we didn't even bother to try and reserve anything, here, and made our reservations elsewhere, based on our previous experience. This was a festival weekend, though it wasn't well promoted, and the turnout was very low, almost nil.

We did go there to listen to music and visit the premises. The premises has character, and some excellent photo ops. There were vacancies that day, come to find out, but we were already settled into our hotel. They gave us a key so we could have a look at one of the vacant cottages, and it was quirky and had character, but not private enough for two couples. While in the music hall, a crappy old man (the owner, I assume) sat beside us while we were trying to listen to the band, bellowing on about how much he hated festival-goers invading HIS town (the same festival-goers that patronize your business? Okay...point taken.). We did not really get to enjoy the music because he talked over it the whole time, finally shutting up just as the band finished their set.

We browsed around in the gift shop, where the clerk, who never smiled once, ignored us until I could finally corner her to ask a question, then played us against eachother over an item that did not have a ticketed price (Told me it was one price, then when the SO came to purchase, quoted him a much higher price (I did not mishear the price she quoted me). Everything inside the gift shop was filthy and covered in a thick layer of dust. There were large "dust bunnies" inside mugs, and on the shoulders of hanging T-shirts, and everything else. It gave the impression that the merchandise was "old stock" that had been sitting there, untouched, for a very long time, as if the shop had been closed for a year. It went well beyond "character", straight into disgusting. It makes one wonder if the bar is set any higher for the cleanliness of the rooms.

All in all, the entire experience was so off-putting, I am not really sure if I would even come back here to see a band, again, and almost feel foolish for giving them another chance. I did not feel our patronage was appreciated or welcomed, nor did the party we were traveling with. My curiosity has been satiated, and I don't think I will be putting it on the "to do" list when we return to Clarksdale, again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank salemagnet28
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was a long overdue bucket list trip for me. I wanted to feel and experience the birthplace of the blues. Staying at the Shakeup Inn is a must for any blues lover wanting to get a real feeling of the Delta. Relaxing and listening to good blues while kicked back on the porch was a perfect end to a perfect day. Thanks to everyone. I would stay there again!

Room Tip: The shacks across the street are quitter when there is live music.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Great set up. To sit in a rocking chair with a good beer and a good book on your veranda is hard to beat. Other guests all happy to be here as well. Good value for 80$ for your own shack with en suite shower room/toilet. You feel transported to a genuine Blues experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clarksdale
Hampton Inn Clarksdale
High Cotton Condos
High Cotton Condos
#2 of 5 in Clarksdale
Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lula

Been to Shack Up Inn? Share your experiences!