Ibis Budget Melbourne Fawkner
$73
$87
$70
Hotels.com
All reviewsring roadthe wi fiupon checkelectric kettleearly checklaundry facilitiesstayed one nightnight's sleepbasic roomlevel crossingone nighterclean bedeach morninghandy locationsuburban trainroad noisegreat value for money
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I'm a student which visits Melbourne often and budget Ibis is far superior to the university student accommodation I'm used to in Maribyrnong, which incidentally is a dodgy slum. Ibis is superior and is the same price as the student accommodation and I get an ensuit, comfortable bed a good TV AND I don't have to provide my own linen! It is very quiet and the turnover of people is fast because it is used mostly by people waiting for flights. It guess everything depends on your perspective.

Room Tip: A room on the South side is good because there seems to always be a collection of males (and or) partners smoking out the front whose ethnicity is the same as whomever is on the desk at the time, smoking is a cultural thing in the Middle East and Central Asia, they are friendly enough. Sometimes they are just talking passionately. The car park is a meeting place, I had no problems.
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Great location, good basic room for price. Good water pressure. Secure. Would have been nice for someone to come and make the bed and clear the bin each morning. Television worked although only basic channels.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Budget accomodation... really basic/no frills. Bed comfortable. Toiler/shower is a plastic box (ergonomics was not the best subject of its designer), while sink is in the room.
Internet is NOT free despite some sites reports so, but 5$ per 30min... so if anyone needs it, better to choose a different, close motel in Sydney road (better rooms and free WiFi).
Some of the personnel is nice, some not.
Gowrie station (on Upfield railway/metro line) is 10 minutes walk away, trains to city centre every 20-30min (this is good), travel duration about 30minutes.
Overall just ok for those willing to be so much budget as possibile, have a car and interested to be close to Tullamarine airport or in the area.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I had been driving all night from up north and were concerned as every hotel we saw coming in had a no vacancy. Finally we spied the Ibis budget and having stayed at the Ibis in Glen Waverly before decided it should be alright - "budget" just means no frills - doesn't it? Well we weren't too put off by the kiosk check-in (though it didn't give you an option of changing your mind and there wasn't any way of checking the room out before paying). After paying in advance at the kiosk (the card opens the door to the hotel) we then had to drag our bags up two flights as there wasn't an elevator. The hallway was dingy and I wasn't exactly expecting much as we opened the door to our room. I have to say it lived up to my expectations as this was the oddest room I've ever been in. The bunked bed had some kind of odd configuration of another bunk over our heads which incorporated the hanging space and was discolored underneath where someone had stubbed out their cigarettes (this was supposed to be a non smoking room) it reeked of smoke and the carpets were caked with dust in the corners and along the edge. The tv could have been considered an antique it was so old and the ensuite was one of those odd plastic pods that you can never get clean and was yellowed along the seams. The ONLY good thing I could say about the room is that the sheets were clean, though I ripped the dingy bedspread & blanket off the bed and thoroughly inspected them before even considering getting in. At 12pm at night and my husband dead tired I didn't have the heart to insist on looking for somewhere else. Needless to say we will never turn into an Ibis budget again as they obviously save on cost by not employing a proper cleaning staff. We couldn't get out of there early enough the following day... I'm just glad we didn't come home with any nits!

Room Tip: Don't!!!! If you know what's good for you...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed one night prior to catching a flight from Melbourne with an 8am check-in. It's an easy 12k drive on motorways to the airport. The hotel doesn't provide much in the way of facilities (no wi-fi), but for what we paid we received great value. The room, while spartan, was clean and the bed comfortable.
Downside is there's nowhere nearby to eat except McDonalds and KFC. We drove several kilometres towards the city on Sydney Road and found Nila, an an excellent Indian restaurant at Coburg.
Downside was that the hotel is at the intersection of the Western Ring Road and Sydney Road, there's lots of traffic, and the night we stayed the ramp leading from Sydney Rd to WRR (so right by the hotel) was closed for road works which caused a lot of noise. Only by having the noisy air conditioning on could we drown it out. That wasn't the hotel's fault but if we'd know we'd have asked for a room on the opposite side of the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple